Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    I think it's for sous vide cooking. I usually reverse sear, so I'm down with the sous vide method; I just usually do it all on the grill. I'd be interested to hear how well these work.
    +1 for reverse sear. I like to use the smoker (with mesquite /pecan mix) , followed by a flat wrought iron plate on the grill.
    Honestly, never heard of sous vide until today. Even for salmon I just season a thick filet, wrap tightly in foil and toss on the grill on high for 10 minutes.
    Cooks the germs off the outside and the middle gets just past warm. SV seems interesting.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Buddy of mine does a lot of SV. Works pretty well, but you can overcook the meat which gives it a funny texture.

The best thing I discovered a few years back (to echo others) is a thermometer. Thake those chicken thighs up to 150 or so internal temperature and yummies!

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Buddy of mine does a lot of SV. Works pretty well, but you can overcook the meat which gives it a funny texture.
    Yep, depends on the cut of meat and what you're going for, ChefSteps has a good chart to go along with the technique. Basically longer you cook, the more you break down. More collagen and connective tissue, longer cook for desired results, etc. Like tonight I did some chicken breast for 1hr @ 65ºC whereas thighs I'd do 65-70ºC for 2-3hrs which would eventually begin to break a breast down to an unpleasant mushy texture where the thigh could withstand more. Bacon is supposed to be amazing sous vide where you can go as long as 24-48hrs then drain and sear, roasts and such can go for 24+ hours as well.

Pasteurization tables are useful to look at too, low temperature/long duration = high temperature/short duration, just stay out of the danger zone and it's all safe.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...perature-guide

Ok Help!

I am batching it until next Monday.

I have some chicken breasts which I plan to butterfly and pan fry, then slice and put over salad.

I looked in our cupboard and aside from salt and pepper, I can't recall what is a good spice to marinate chicken in.

I see Cumin, that's for a Tex Mex flavor, right?

Anyway, last night I tried Rosemary and Thyme, but wasn't thrilled with the taste.

To save me buying a herd-load of spices, are there any go-to ones you'd suggest that I can pick up at the grocery?

Depends on the flavor I'm going for, as far as herbs I've been using a lot of thyme/tarrgon and for spice, smoked paprika. I also buy all of my spices whole and grind only what I need before use, longer shelf life/preserves flavor. For chicken I've been doing a lot of my own barbecue mix, 1/2c brown sugar, 3tbsp paprika, 1tbsp whole black pepper, 1tbsp sea salt, 1tbsp chili powder, 1tbsp garlic power, 1tbsp onion powder, 1/2tsp cayenne, 1tbsp cumin, 1tbsp celery seed.

Doing some chicken tacos right now, course ground 1.25lb of chicken thighs, mixed with cumin, black pepper, sea salt, garlic, onion, tequila(mostly for alcohol soluble flavor in pepper), cold press olive oil and bay leaf. Cooking sous vide for 3 hours @ 65°c. I'll do some rice and potatoes(fried in coconut oil and tossed with sea salt, black pepper, chili, onion, garlic, paprika) to go with it.

Been hovering around single digits lately so also pressure cooked some chicken noodle soup the other day. 5lb hen(older bird = more connective tissue = more flavor), 80g parsely, 12g thyme, 18g tarragon, 375g carrot, 420g white onion, 80g garlic, 300g celery, 40g sea salt, 4g monosodium glutamate, 30 whole black pepper. Full pressure for 45min, remove bird, carrot and celery, strain the broth, cut down carrot/celery, then pull the chicken meat, add back to the broth, bring to a boil and add noodles, I do about 24oz of my own egg noodle(flour, egg, small bit of fresh nutmeg).

Got a couple hundred to Amazon for xmas, so going to have to buy some stuff in my wishlist, $30 bottle of smoked soy sauce for one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ok Help!

I am batching it until next Monday.

I have some chicken breasts which I plan to butterfly and pan fry, then slice and put over salad.

I looked in our cupboard and aside from salt and pepper, I can't recall what is a good spice to marinate chicken in.

I see Cumin, that's for a Tex Mex flavor, right?

Anyway, last night I tried Rosemary and Thyme, but wasn't thrilled with the taste.

To save me buying a herd-load of spices, are there any go-to ones you'd suggest that I can pick up at the grocery?
    My kids love the Baja Cirtus and Zesty Herb marinades...
    Add a little water and vinegar, mix and marinate for at least 30 minutes (an hour is better, but not more than 2 hours).
    About $1/pack at the local grocery. Good for 2 pounds of chicken (about 4 breast halves).
    We prefer to marinade and grill them whole, not butterfly. YMMV.

Easy and tastes great.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Add a little water and vinegar, mix and marinate for at least 30 minutes (an hour is better, but not more than 2 hours).
    About $1/pack at the local grocery. Good for 2 pounds of chicken (about 4 breast halves).

Easy and tastes great.
    Perfect. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Easy and tastes great.

Yup! I've used a bunch of these over the years. Easy and good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Name:  DSC_0197.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  63.0 KB

Jerk Chicken

I Hate Cooking !!!!!!!

User Tag List