Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Brought some of the Slovenian Delamaris brand tuna salad Mexicana to work with a bottle of Texas Pete and some cracked black pepper and olive oil Triscuits.

Probably my favorite lunch all week.

Site Supporter
    I enjoy shopping for food bargains after big holidays.....
    Picked up ~14 pounds of Butterball Turkey Breasts for ~$18.
    Smoked turkey freezes well... so... why not?

We wound up with ~7.5 pounds of smoked breast meat, plus enough turkey picked off the bones to make 2 big pot pies.
    Then we boiled the bones and made about 3 quarts of stock, some of that went into the pot pies.

Enjoyable way to spend the day Saturday just hanging out with Wife. Even got some yard work done while the smoker was running.

ETA: Pot pie recipe: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...urkey-pot-pie/
    You know how occasionally you find some thing that causes you to stop looking for a better thing? This recipe is that good.

Name:  Turkey 1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  Turkey 2.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  Turkey 3.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  Turkey 4.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  65.3 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Did this one tonight. The recipe and the video are slightly different.

My process was a blend of the two. A pound of Wally World ground breasts, a couple T of coconut oil to make up the fat/moisture; dried parsley and basil; no parmesan rind, just some parmesan and romano scraps. Store bought crushed San Marizano tomatoes. Used MUCH more cheese than recommended.

Super very much surprised at how tasty this was. Bought a loaf of Wally Whirled sliced Italian loaf and made many, many meatball sliders. MUCH tomato and garlic flavor.

Mrs. UNM1136 and both little UNM1136s still at home gave it "two thumbs up, will definately eat again".

I am ashamed of the amount I ate. But it was that good.

I intended to take photos, as apparently required, but it was chicken bumps, covered in tomato sauce, covered in cheese, in a cast iron pan.*

pat

*I have been taught the "Rules of Cast Iron". I watched my Maternal Grandfather, and my father for decades wash their cast iron in dish soap and water, and then dry it in the oven or on the stovetop. I use Dawn dish soap on my cast iron... I live in a high desert area with very low relative humidity...Like my Poppa did...

Maybe the rules of cast iron are like so many other rules...many people don't know what they are doing and need the rules. Others know the rules and use them to their advantage.

Poppa washed his cast iron in soapy dishwater with a 3M scrubber and dried it on the stove top. Stored it in the oven. The crispy fried eggs may have stuck a little...but they were served over easy....

What I learned with this recipe...

I store my cast iron pans in the oven, just like Poppa did. I have a pizza steel. When you use high temp oven cooking, for long periods of time, like I tend to do recently, the polymerized fats that make a nonslick surface break down and create a black powder...had to be washed, with soap and water, and rinsed before being used. Then it was just fine. Learning has occurred...

pat

Having half of the family for a late Easter dinner since we couldn’t get together on the actual date. You know how it is when half family has to do something with their in-laws, so we adjust.

Doing lamb again, and I couldn’t be happier. I love lamb loin chops.

Do them on the Traeger with olive oil, garlic, splash of red wine vinegar, and fresh rosemary. Marinate for three hours then cook till a beautiful medium rare.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    ^^^ Nice!

Salmon looks great.... I think I'm going to make some Gravlax this weekend...
    Name:  Grav.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  97.9 KB

Not bad for a first try..... I'd rate it a B-. Overall, flavor was very good but the texture was a few hours overdone, a bit leathery at the ends. Next time, I'll either cut off the tail and cure it for less time, or just use center-cut pieces exclusively. I'll also adjust the salt/sugar from 50-50 to maybe 60-40 (sugar-salt) to make it a bit sweeter.

This was extremely easy to make.... Clean the fish, mix the dry ingredients, sprinkle, wrap, turn after 12 hours, rinse after 24 hours, dry and garnish.
    The mustard cream sauce in the linked recipe was also a winner and very easy, no-cooking required.

I cut it into sections and gave some away, froze some to test how well it freezes.

~$25 for 2 pounds of lox. Store-bought runs about $8/4oz here. About $64 for a similar quantity from the store.
    It would be easy to make less and simply adjust the recipe.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Name:  Grav.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  97.9 KB

Not bad for a first try..... I'd rate it a B-. Overall, flavor was very good but the texture was a few hours overdone, a bit leathery at the ends. Next time, I'll either cut off the tail and cure it for less time, or just use center-cut pieces exclusively. I'll also adjust the salt/sugar from 50-50 to maybe 60-40 (sugar-salt) to make it a bit sweeter.

This was extremely easy to make.... Clean the fish, mix the dry ingredients, sprinkle, wrap, turn after 12 hours, rinse after 24 hours, dry and garnish.
    The mustard cream sauce in the linked recipe was also a winner and very easy, no-cooking required.

I cut it into sections and gave some away, froze some to test how well it freezes.

~$25 for 2 pounds of lox. Store-bought runs about $8/4oz here. About $64 for a similar quantity from the store.
    It would be easy to make less and simply adjust the recipe.
    Been doing it myself for years. Costco used to have wild salmon for $8.99!! They still do but it's gone up a few bucks

Crappy pics but....

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

How about a nice thick juicy beef heart cooked like a steak!

Last week. Turkey legs on cast iron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    How about a nice thick juicy beef heart cooked like a steak!

That looks delicious. Never had beef heart....
    Mom made Chicken hearts (and gizzards) frequently when I was a kid... I always skipped the livers... Not a fan. I've had pig heart while traveling....

That looks delicious. Never had beef heart....
    Mom made Chicken hearts (and gizzards) frequently when I was a kid... I always skipped the livers... Not a fan. I've had pig heart while traveling....
    Never had the opportunity to buy pig heart but I do have sheep brain in the freezer. Haven't had it yet.
    I do chicken hearts, gizzards, beef tongue, bone marrow....and liver. All the time. I try to eat head to tail and incorporate it in such a way that there is always some organ meat. Very healthy, full of nutrients. Like everything else....in moderation.

Just the other week a buddy stopped by. I threw together some chicken hearts and gizzards, seasoned and basically made finger food for a few beers!

This was a quick 10 min meal. Sauteed onions, garlic just a little. Still keep some of that raw taste. Sauteed wild mushrooms. Sear beef liver on high heat then turn it down and cook for a minute. Liver cooks fast. Mix together and add spices! Or now that I think about it first do the liver then sauteed the veggies in the liver juices

User Tag List