Page 47 of 61 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

I was sent home with half thw leftover beer, juice boxes of wine, and apple cider when cleaning up after the potluck.

As one cider jug was down below 1/4 full, I mixed in about 1/3 as much leftover merlot to stretch it. Set out on the picnic table with warmed whole clove garlic ciabatta, sliced liverwurst, peppered salami, ham, Swiss cheese, provolone, sliced kalamata olives, hot and sweet gherkins, Polish sauerkraut, butter, some kinda Greek caviar mayo thing, a decent but inexpemsive German pub mustard, fruity rooibos tea with peach and blueberry, and a half loaf of split-top wheat sandwich bread for the unadventurous. Not a bad way to spend a backyard lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    ...Beringer White Zinfandel. I only buy it for her. Not really.

pat
    Finally tripped over a bottle and, only stocked in 1.5 liter bottles, appears to be a favorite of many. At a whopping ten dollars for effectively two bottles, I'm pretty happy with the glass I am trying right now. We're roasting chickens with company on Sunday and the rest of the bottle is in the fridge to go with that meal.

Having Christmas Eve supper with the Father-In-Law.

• Homemade tourtiere (French Canadian pork pie) for which I made the filing and wife prepared the crust from her personal formula
    • Polish hot mulled beer (no egg white as he's fussy)
    • Wife is making salad
    • Cubed boiled potatoes tossed with butter and salt
    • Brown gravy, scorpion pepper steak sauce, and HP brown sauce for condiments

About to make a quick lunch for him of a cracker platter. Varous Finnish rye crackers, Triscuits, etc., champignon mushroom double cream soft cheese, a sof blue cheese, some sharp white cheddar, assorted sliced cured meats (hot capicola, salami, prosciutto), oil marinated olive assortment, sliced pickled eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Having Christmas Eve supper with the Father-In-Law.

• Homemade tourtiere (French Canadian pork pie) for which I made the filing and wife prepared the crust from her personal formula
    • Wife is making salad
    • Cubed boiled potatoes tossed with butter and salt
    • Brown gravy, scorpion pepper steak sauce, and HP brown sauce for condiments

About to make a quick lunch for him of a cracker platter. Varous Finnish rye crackers, Triscuits, etc., champignon mushroom double cream soft cheese, a sof blue cheese, some sharp white cheddar, assorted sliced cured meats (hot capicola, salami, prosciutto), oil marinated olive assortment, sliced pickled eggs.
    Some day I want to eat at your place!

Site Supporter

After an initial flush of nausea, I realized I was being close minded and want to apologize. I'm up for giving it a try, but, hope is slim here.

Count me in for the rest, however. Yum.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    [/LIST]

After an initial flush of nausea, I realized I was being close minded and want to apologize.
    If you find the right lager with the correct balance, it can be delicious. I'll go for it a handful of times a winter (like now with temps in the single digits and wind about ready to blow the house down) but it's not a must-try by any means.

Site Supporter
    Took a pint of whole milk Greek yogurt, and drained it through a sieve for a couple of dozen hours to get thick yogurt cheese.

A zuchinni or two, an onion, a couple of jalapeņos, a red, green, and orange bell pepper, and about four cloves of smashed garlic tossed in a bowl with some avacado and some olive oil. The veg was then put on a foil lined sheet pan and tossed in the oven at about 400 degees, tossing every 15 minutes or so. I may have cheated and used a hand held torch. Once the roasted and charred veg was cooled I tossed it with the thick yogurt cheese.

Delicious.

Spread on soft bread for a sandwich. Or put on tortillas with prosciutto and/or pepperoni and rolled into pinwheels. Spread on a pita with chicken...

I might have even dipped potato chips into it, or eaten it with a spoon. No evidence exists of this...

pat

Better half wanted to make eggs Benedict for her father and had me get all the stuff ahead of time. She's never poached an egg or made hollandaise before.

I volunteered to poach the eggs (from my sister's birds) in salted and vinegared water and brown the nice, thick Canadian bacon I'd found. Wife got cocky with the simple ingredient list and immediately made scrambled egg yolk. I tossed the whole saucepan in the sink, dug out another, and showed her how to properly thicken the yolks. Then had her do the melted butter trickle to see how to gauge consistency until done. She's made mayonnaise before so mentioning that this is just a cooked mayo helped it all click. English muffins were store-bought because getting the timing on the rest is demanding enough. Did at least fork them in half before toasting.

All served with fresh squeezed orange juice found at a grocer that is mild and well-balanced, strawberry/banana drink, coffee, cream, and sugar cubes.

Supper tonight will be either a country ham or pre-smoke pork shoulder, mashed potato, roasted squash, a carrot dish to be determined, a slightly variation of yesterday's salad with some crumbled Greek cheese ball, fresh and barely boozed eggnog, and pot of tea. Nightcap of a single malt Islay scotch and bowl of a balkan blend pipe tobacco named after a route on a local mountain. Well, named after something else far away but I'll pretend.

Tonight's (Christmas) dinner is cold smoked herring, baked potatos, fresh onion, cured pork lard and an adult beverage of your choice. I'm still up in the air about tequila or bourbon. Pics to follow

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Better half wanted to make eggs Benedict for her father and had me get all the stuff ahead of time. She's never poached an egg or made hollandaise before.

I volunteered to poach the eggs (from my sister's birds) in salted and vinegared water and brown the nice, thick Canadian bacon I'd found. Wife got cocky with the simple ingredient list and immediately made scrambled egg yolk. I tossed the whole saucepan in the sink, dug out another, and showed her how to properly thicken the yolks. Then had her do the melted butter trickle to see how to gauge consistency until done. She's made mayonnaise before so mentioning that this is just a cooked mayo helped it all click. English muffins were store-bought because getting the timing on the rest is demanding enough. Did at least fork them in half before toasting.

All served with fresh squeezed orange juice found at a grocer that is mild and well-balanced, strawberry/banana drink, coffee, cream, and sugar cubes.

Supper tonight will be either a country ham or pre-smoke pork shoulder, mashed potato, roasted squash, a carrot dish to be determined, a slightly variation of yesterday's salad with some crumbled Greek cheese ball, fresh and barely boozed eggnog, and pot of tea. Nightcap of a single malt Islay scotch and bowl of a balkan blend pipe tobacco named after a route on a local mountain. Well, named after something else far away but I'll pretend.
    Huge fan of this process for Hollandaise, and Alton's use of a thermos for hot holding. The strainer trick for the poached eggs keeps the whites nice and tight. Most people use too little lemon juice in their Hollandaise. The best I ever had was in cooking school, but it was complicated with peppercorns being simmered in vinegar and whatnot. The recipe I have from that class makes a quart. And Islay is remarkably nuanced; when I get a good bottle I wonder why I drink peat smoked scotches.

pqt
    Last edited by UNM1136; 12-25-2021 at 09:53 PM.

User Tag List