Page 46 of 61 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

I'm getting oser to properly replicating my grandmother's Amerixan chop suey but bad habits keep me failing. I need to shed every last thing I've ever learned about "proper" cooking and embrace the simple tenents of comfort food.

- 1lb ground chuck. Round in an emergency but chuck should be the default. And it has to be quality from a butcher that grinds his own. Skip anything from a proper grocery store.

- 1/2 each yellow onion and green bell pepper. It has to be a yellow onion or maybe a chunk of Spanish in a crisis. And no fancy colors or oyher pepper variants. A green bell pepper.

- No garlic though I'll tolerate a dash of garlic powder in someone else's house to be polite.

- 28 ounces of plain stewed tomatoes. Not Italian style, no low-sodium, not no salt added, not Mexican, not whole, and certainly not diced.

- 14 punce can of tomato sauce. Plain, no fancy variant, preferably even store brand if palatable.

- One regular can of condensed tomato soup. Default to Campbell's as other brands vary too wildly to risk it.

- 1/2 pound good quality elbow macaroni. No other shapes. No fancy bronze die extruded pasta but not bottom rund garbage, either. The texture of both finished pasta and sauce are at stake and tgis is critical

- Salt. Table or kosher (if you like to burn money for no reason), iodized or not. I use non iodized table salt because no reason whatsoever.

Heat a cast iron skillet and add the coarsely chopped onion and bell pepper with the hamburg and corasely break up the beef as it stews. Sprinkle with enough salt. Yes, the skillet is overloaded. No, the meat will not brown. No, the onions and peppers will not be priperly softened by the time the meat has simmered to gery, tender doneness. Brinwed beef is wrong, soft veggied are sloppy goop and ruin the sauce. They should retain some resistance. Drain the fat if the chuck is particularly over-the-top or leave it if a reasonable amount. In with the stewed tomatoes and break the up very roughly with a wooden spoon. Chunks should range in size from fine about average diced tomatoes to half a slice. This will help finish breking up the hamburg at the proper texture. In with the tomato soup and tomato sauce. Mix until just starting to simmer and kill the burner. The sauce will be warm, not hot.

As all this happens, cook the macaroni about a minute past al dente in salted water, drain, and rince until chilled by the water. This is crucial for the sauce and pasta both. Any heat left in the macaroni will overcook it. Any dtarch left on it will overthicken the sauce.

Mix the cold, still wet macaroni into the sauce if room or in another room temperature dish.

Serve soupy on a plate, not a bowl or you bring shame upon your family. And now for the most important part of thw meal: split-top wheat sandwich bread and margarine. Butter is the wrong consistency and destroys yhe bread in the winter. It also costs too much for a depression-born cook's kitchen. White sandwich bread is too bland and lacks body to hold up to the soupy dish. Whole grain bread is too dry and the wrong texture.

Table Service: Salt and black pepper at the table. LOTS of black pepper to balance the sweetness of the tomato soup concentrate. The plate should look like it was hit by a black blizzard.

Properly cook the pasta? Ruined. Thicken the sauce? It will be dry garbage and leftovers are the stuff of nightmares. Leave the macaroni unrinsed? Ruin the sauce with overthickening and imbalance. Any other aromatic veg? Gilding the lilly and ruining a surprisingly comforting natural balance. Other herbs and spices? Save it for proper wop-chow, this is food desert Americana. Tomato paste in place of soup? That is a mortal sin and your family should immediately disown you on top of both the flavor and texture being totally wrong. Pre-seasoned tinned tomato products? Ruin the flavor profile if in the tomato sauce, bring out too much sweetness if in the stewed tomatoes, taste like garbage if the soup concentrate.

It all sounds simple but consitently turning out a soupy plate just right and doing it consistently takes practice. And letting a "proper" technique or top shelf ingredient pick slip in via habit will result in a swing and a miss. Let hot pasta and/or hot sauce meet and get overly thick goop. The whole thing was a nation-wide comfort food precisely because it properly combined the correct mid-grade ingrediemts with the correct harried housewife techniques to result in a unique and delicious warm plate of comfort.

And you probably don't own a skillet big enough to double the recipe. I just barely do with an ancient lumber camp monster but it's best to make multiple batches for a large family service. By the way, plan on serving an entire loaf of sandwich bread with even a single batch. I've never seen someone eat fewer than two slices, on for a white trash pasta taco and another to sop the plate.

For drink pairings, some cola, milk, water, or a very cheap table wine either a bit dry and tannic of just barely sweet.

For bonus points buy the increasingly rare white margarine with coloring packet and have a kid mix it up.

What did I screw up, this time? Italian style stewed tomatoes pulled from the pantry and already in before I noticed. I'll nail it, next time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    - No garlic though I'll tolerate a dash of garlic powder in someone else's house to be polite.
    I started thinking we could be foodie brothers from different mothers, but, I was way off. My blood has enough garlic to ward off Vampires.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Oh, my BAC would read off the charts if it measured garlic, chiles, and tea. This is about the only dish that isn't right with it, though. Everything else, I go through several heads of garlic per week.

Site Supporter
    Looking for recommendations on peppers...... For years we've been roasting Anaheim just to have in the fridge. Great toppers for burgers, salads, whatever. We gorge on Hatch when available. Recently I've lost my zest for the Anaheim and have started experimenting elsewhere.

We got some excellent medium-hot banana peppers at the farmers market, but, they were a bit spendy and not available year round. The banana peppers at the supermarket are mostly mild-boring. For regular daily consumption, something substantial would be preferred (Anaheim size or similar). Heat-wise, I like the heat a bit hotter than Jalapeno, but a bit less hot than Jalapeno is ok too... I can add heat.

Love Poblanos, but, they are always too tender to roast and peel. If there's a better way to peel Poblanos, I'm all ears. (current method is to grill 2-minutes each side, then into a paper bag to steam for 30 minutes or so. Works great for Anaheim, never works well for Poblano)

Jalapenos are too bitter for me. Good heat, but, bitter. Like green peppers from the garden. I like to add chopped Jalapenos to diced King Oyster mushrooms and chunked onions, grill them on the flat top and keep a bucket around in the fridge for topping things. The onions mellow out the bitterness of the Jalapenos.

If I could find a source for the hotter Banana peppers, I could go with those for a while.

Yesterday I tried making some stuffed Red Fresno's. Diced up some scallions, apricots and goat cheese, pinch of salt and black pepper. Broiled the peppers for 3 minutes to soften them, spooned in the mix and put it in the warm oven for a minute. Topped with a bit of Chili-Fig spread (very recommended). Everyone liked it (Daughter picked out the apricots but liked the rest <eyeroll>). Good heat but not to the point of distracting from the other ingredients. If you've never had Fresnos, they have an interesting mix of sweetness, similar to a red pepper from the garden, but with good heat and almost none of the bitterness of a jalapeno.

Name:  Fresno.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  63.0 KB
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 09-17-2021 at 10:11 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I picked up a day-old loaf of ciabatta on Tuesday and decided to use it, today. About fifteen minutes on the top rack in a 350° oven restored the crust and left the center lightly steamy and chewy. Good as new.

Halved with the bottom thicker than the top, pinched out 2/3 to 3/4 of the bread, thickly sliced yhe length of a pack of mixed turkey butt ends (about equal proportions buffalo, Santa Fe, and couple different plain), tossed them in a bowl to mix, and mounded into the bottom half of the loaf. Topped with provolone to cover, and back into the oven to melt. Spread the top of the loaf with a thin smear of pub mustard and topped the melted bottom with Polish sauerkraut and thinly sliced red onion. Put the halves of the loaf back together and sliced into serving pieces. Plated each with more sauerkraut topped with the remaining red onion and good dill pickle slices. Opened my sandwich back up to add some vinegary hots.

Opened a bottle of 2019 red from La Vieille Ferme to accompany. Rest of the bottle will go into a pasta sauce tonight with a the remaining coupme glasses worth as my nightcap. Judge all yoy want but I prefer young table wines and almost always have a firm ten dollar price limit. Sometimes fifteen. Sometimes.

Now to pack for an overnight bear hunt.
    Today I am planning meatball sandwiches along a similar line. My son likes meatballs and tomato sauce. I am lazy so I have both pre made on hand. Gonna bake the meatballs on a sheet pan to get rid of extra grease and build the exterior crust. Hollow out a loaf of bread then toast in the oven. Line the trough in the bread with whole fat mozzarella. Add the meatballs to canned sauce with additional herbage. Load them into the bread. Top with basil leaves and provalone. And parmesan.

The wife's favorite wine, hands down, no exceptions is Beringer White Zinfandel. I only buy it for her. Not really.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    The wife's favorite wine, hands down, no exceptions is Beringer White Zinfandel. I only buy it for her. Not really.
    Bugger. I forgot which Beringer you had posted and came back with the fancy label $10 Pinot Grigo. Just have to drink it and try, again.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Jalapenos are too bitter for me. Good heat, but, bitter. Like green peppers from the garden. I like to add chopped Jalapenos to diced King Oyster mushrooms and chunked onions, grill them on the flat top and keep a bucket around in the fridge for topping things. The onions mellow out the bitterness of the Jalapenos.
    Go get a bunch of jalapenos and quick pickle them. We eat the hell out of these in the summer.

https://gimmedelicious.com/quick-10-...led-jalapenos/
    Ignore Alien Orders

@RoyGBiv Rick Bayless should have some ideas on his Youtube/Vimeo and website. He has a wealth of knowledge regarding mexican foods and is a highly regarded chef, and the fact he puts out content for free online is pretty amazing. I recall seeing several versions of chiles rellenos before so that may provide some ideas.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Go get a bunch of jalapenos and quick pickle them. We eat the hell out of these in the summer.
    https://gimmedelicious.com/quick-10-...led-jalapenos/
    Interesting idea... will try this with halved peppers and see how it goes. I've got a half-gallon plastic pickle jar that would be just the right size. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    @RoyGBiv Rick Bayless should have some ideas on his Youtube/Vimeo and website. He has a wealth of knowledge regarding mexican foods and is a highly regarded chef, and the fact he puts out content for free online is pretty amazing. I recall seeing several versions of chiles rellenos before so that may provide some ideas.
    I'll check it out. Thanks!!
    https://www.youtube.com/c/rickbayless

Attending a potluck, tonight. Having scored a day-old whole wheat ciabatta loaf full of whole roasted garlic cloves, my selection was easy. I used them to bulk up the half-loaf of several day old no-knead my wife last made and am doing up a pot of brotsuppe. It will be a variation of this base recipe:

https://ilovegermanfood.com/recipes/...che-brotsuppe/

As there are at least a dozen cloves of roast garlic already innthe bread, I'm skipping fresh. The fresh bread to fry as a finish is being replaced with more of the leftover stuff fried up and scooped out from the rest before the stock goes in. And I may not use nutmeg if I remember to see what looks tasty in the backyard herb selection.

As for the fat, I'm opting for lard. The kids browned their Boston butt in lard before turning into shredded pork chili. That used lard was left in the iron skillet for me to start my thing. Some free extra flavor in a simple soup. As I've got more soup to make than the cast iron will hold, will ladle some stock in with the bread before dumping into a stock pot. Then more stock to the iron to properly deglaze and pour in the deeper pot. And dump the rest of my stock in for the main simmer. A mixture of good quality storebought bone and heavily veggied regular beef stocks, by the way. We don't eat much beef so no homemade is handy.

As a nightcap, I may have to start slamming whiskey sours to use up some of the resultant leftover egg whites.

User Tag List