Page 42 of 61 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Have a goodly crown roast in the oven. Father dropped off some bagged stuffing mix and ground lamb. Browned the lamb with onions and mixed with 50/50 homemade pork/tyrkey stock for the stuffing. The cast iron skillet was left greasy but added a round rack and the roast.

Lamb and pork drippings from the pan will be the base for our gravy. Wife boiled and diced beets which are currently marinating in olive oil, salt, and vinegar. She will shortly be starting twice-baked potatoes while I cream some pearl onions. Just before service, kids will be stationed at the toaster to bake the rolls.

Drinks simple hot chocolate, coffee, and sparkling apple cider.

Have also started on tomorrow's supper with friends. Forked together liverwurst, sour cream, jalapeño powder, Jamaican mustard habanero sauce, and finely minced onion. It's in the fridge to meld as such things are best the next day. Plan to slice some prosciutto to go with the pâté, quartered pickled onions, and brie wedge. Mini toasts and crackers on the side. Have some canned croissants to bake, leftover ground lamb to become something like a mixed hamburger stroganoff.

Drinks will consist of cranberry infused gin (a cheap but serviceable gin and dried cranberries that have been melding since Thanksgiving), tonic, Pabst Blue Ribbon, hot tea, and lemon water.

Going to do more hiking than hunting tomorrow morning to earn some of these calories. Trying not to think about mext weekend when leftover cream may need using up as eggnog...

Site Supporter
    Just finished lunch. A little heavier than I am used to, but I am on my way to bed anyway.

Red chile pork tamales, steamed till hot. Then covered in red chile with ground pork. Sprinkling of shredded cheese and chopped yellow onion. Then topped with two over easy eggs. Sprinkled with pepper and Maldon sea salt. Tortillas and saltines to eat the tamales off of and to sop up yolks and chile.

Nearly traditional posole (blue instead of white hominy, all pork) served in the tradition of my first generation originally settling in Oakland neighbors. Think phò, but Mexican. Chopped yellow onions, angel hair shredded cabbage, sliced jalapeños, and lime wedges. I ate posole at my grandparents' home every year because I was forced to. About a decade ago my neighbors brought me what amounted to a posole bar when I sent over some baked goods. I hate wasting food. So I ate it. The cabbage, onions, jalapeños and limes improved it so much I can eat a gallon on my own over the course of a week, and I often do. Wife and kids didn't grow up having to eat it, so they have it plain.

Bíscochitos, made with lard. Various pies.

G'night

pat

Kids are prepping the annual New Year's Eve beef stew in one of our Dutch ovens. Charcoal is about ready to spread and start cooking. Stew beef, Italian seasoned diced romato, brown gravy powder as a thickener freshly sliced button mushrooms, diced yellow onion, sliced carrots, garlic clove, salt, and bay leaf. During the last few minutes of cooking, will flatten some small canned buttermilk biscuits, slice into ribbons, and add as dumplings with the lid off since we'll need the room.

This year sees an augmentation, though. Took the chopped J.C. Higgins bolt-action sixteen gauge on my after-lunch constitutional. One ounce of number six shot later, a busytail is dressed on top of the other ingredients. When tender, we'll remove it, shred the meat, discard the bones, and return edibles to the stew. The heart is already mixed in with the stew beef as a surprise treat for someone.

Appetizers of surprisingly good freezer section mini eggrolls, both veggie and chicken/pork. Nachos already eaten. One pound of shrimp has been thawed to cook later and enjoy with the cocktail sauce wife-n-kids made while I was out.

Bottle of prosecco buried in the snow for later. Bitters, sugar cubes, and decent brandy already out to turn it.into champagne cocktails. Place sugar cube in bottom of flute, soak with Angostura bitters, poir bubbly. If feeling spunky and to mix up the evening, a half-ounce of brandy makes for a fine addition if less quaffable. Have bushytails to stalk with a kid in the morning so no gin or lemon. French 75s can wait for the weekend with friends.

One kid has the tip of the squirrel's tail in her pocket and other is salting a paw as a charm.

Edit for the most important part: Three Stooges playing on the Blu-ray player all night. Woman Haters Club on now!

Name:  C24215DD-F795-49AC-8080-E6F9DEC52BC6.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  79.6 KB

Trying to get my biscuit mojo back...

I went 4 years without making them and “the feel” for them went away. Kinda like shooting, it’s a perishable skill.
    These are the lookers from my 2nd batch.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Took a cleaver to the day's snowshoe hare and browned the pieces in butter. Back out to a bowl and whisked in an equal amount of flour to make the roux. Homemade turkey stock for liquid, three bay leaves, dried tarragon, smoked paprika, jalapeño powder, kosher salt, cup Côtes du Rhône I bought a couple years back, then back in with the bunny bits plus its heart.

That will simmer until the meat is ready to shred from the bones and reserve. Sliced button mushroom, diced onion, cubed potatoes, and sliced carrot will be added with a clove or twi smashed garlic until avout tender. Meat will be stirred back in then a tube of small buttermilk biscuits will be halved and gradually dropped on top as fat biscuits. Lid for another twenty minutes. Cards games and music throughout while I drink the last of yesterday's pilsner four-pack.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Took a cleaver to the day's snowshoe hare and browned the pieces in butter. Back out to a bowl and whisked in an equal amount of flour to make the roux. Homemade turkey stock for liquid, three bay leaves, dried tarragon, smoked paprika, jalapeño powder, kosher salt, cup Côtes du Rhône I bought a couple years back, then back in with the bunny bits plus its heart.

That will simmer until the meat is ready to shred from the bones and reserve. Sliced button mushroom, diced onion, cubed potatoes, and sliced carrot will be added with a clove or twi smashed garlic until avout tender. Meat will be stirred back in then a tube of small buttermilk biscuits will be halved and gradually dropped on top as fat biscuits. Lid for another twenty minutes. Cards games and music throughout while I drink the last of yesterday's pilsner four-pack.
    You had me drooling until the very end. A meal that savory begs for a good Tempranillo, or, at least a good Porter.

Still... Well done Sir! Well done.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Family wanted fried chicken so I tried out a recipe from Matty Mathesons nashville hot chicken recipe, has some hot honey and sea salt sprinkled on it.

https://youtu.be/MmNzZO8uUWY

Also got a big bag of szechuan chili peppers so I did a batch of red oil(szechuan pepper, peanut oil and salt). Decided to use some of the oil for a crab and shrimp fried rice to go with some general tsaos.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Name:  C24215DD-F795-49AC-8080-E6F9DEC52BC6.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  79.6 KB

Trying to get my biscuit mojo back...

I went 4 years without making them and “the feel” for them went away. Kinda like shooting, it’s a perishable skill.
    These are the lookers from my 2nd batch.
    Looks like you got your mojo back! I love biscuits. I wish I had a basket full of them right now to go with the local honey my dad gave me a couple of weeks ago.

Canned buttermilk biscuits baked a bit past their tender prime to support the meal, hot breakfast sausage crumbled out of its tube and fried, pulled from pan along with some of the extra grease, in with flour until the roux was dark, pint of milk streamed in, sausage back, reserved grease into another pan in which runny yolked eggs were fried. Gravy finished with salt and a lot of black pepper. Mug of black Chock full o'Nuts on the side.

Now out to pattern the loaner partridge gun project with 7 1/2 shot Federal promo loads, mark the sight base position once confirmed, glue it to the barrel, and have 'er done. So many loaner hunting rifle and shotgun projects going on top of my own stuff, I need my head checked.

Lucked into some good andouille cheap. Red beans and rice and collard greens. Chiefs red and packer green, as it were.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List