Page 29 of 61 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

I had a good thing going for 1" cubes, but my knife was shit and I started to hit some tougher gristle that made clean cuts difficult. I used the mesh mats to keep things in place, as well as an elevated grate for extra space.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I had a good thing going for 1" cubes, but my knife was shit and I started to hit some tougher gristle that made clean cuts difficult. I used the mesh mats to keep things in place, as well as an elevated grate for extra space.
    New toys to buy!

Something like these mats?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Yup. They're great, I use them for shrimp all the time.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Name:  butternutcake.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  39.4 KB

My grandmother's butternut pound cake recipe that was handed down over the years.

Name:  chocopoundcake.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  47.3 KB

The chocolate version.

I make about 3 a week due to popular demand.

Regards.
    Last edited by lwt16; 11-11-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    Name:  9712D3DA-2063-4D81-B2C5-C7B733E55736.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  39.5 KB
    Name:  AFEF4429-66D2-4A68-88B1-286443043BBF.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  93.8 KB
    Name:  29F45D63-9279-4AA2-8319-270B79DC22A4.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  85.0 KB

In celebration of the first snowfall of the year, we made a Caribbean themed dinner consisting of Jerk Chicken, Jamaican Rice, and Rum Cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post

In celebration of the first snowfall of the year, we made a Caribbean themed dinner consisting of Jerk Chicken, Jamaican Rice, and Rum Cake.

I like your style, and congratulations on having more snow than most of Alaska right now. It was a balmy 40F here today, so I bought a couple briskets and a pork shoulder to do this weekend.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I like your style, and congratulations on having more snow than most of Alaska right now. It was a balmy 40F here today, so I bought a couple briskets and a pork shoulder to do this weekend.
    A brisket and pork shoulder has been on my “To Cook” list for quite some time. Make sure you post pics this weekend! 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    A brisket and pork shoulder has been on my “To Cook” list for quite some time. Make sure you post pics this weekend! 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺
    FWIW.... "Shoulder" is not "Butt"... Butt is way better for smoking.

Boston Butt, aka Pork Butt, aka (rarely) Pork Shoulder BLADE.

The cut with the leg bone in it comes out WAY different than the Butt. Could still be good, but less good. (YMMV, but you'd be wrong )

/lesson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I never realized the difference! Thank you for the lesson!🍺

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Finally had a chance to do something other than chicken for lunches. Wound up doing a pork butt and made faux burnt ends, which I'd just call candied pork butt chunks.

Strarted with the intent to cube the butt, but wound up chunking it. Tossed in an off the shelf rub because time, bourbon something or other. It was sweet and peppery. Smoked the chunks at 215°F for about two hours (reached 170°F). Removed and tossed into a Heinz thick and smoky barbecue sauce that I juiced up with brown sugar for some glaze. Hit them again on the smoker until the crust was decent. The result was unreal, it made me question what in the hell everyone else does to their pork to screw it up.
    Thanks @orionz06 !!

This afternoon..... Just finished... Delish!
    I need to go a bit lighter on the seasoning next time. A bit too salty. But I can fix that with some slaw.

2 hours on low (about 150-160F)
    Mix in some BBQ sauce.
    Another 90 minutes at 250-275F until internal temp hit 190F.

Excellent use of $4.50 worth of a small Butt.
    (Yes... the sign is WRONG!.. But the package label was correct "Butt")

Name:  Cheap Butt.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  Quick Ends.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  94.1 KB Name:  Quick Ends 2.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  99.8 KB

User Tag List