Page 49 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Site Supporter
    A good friend I haven't seen in a while knocked on my door Wednesday afternoon, trailing a cooler. I figured it was BYOB night at my house and nobody told me . He opens the cooler to reveal 12 pounds of ground hog+venison (mixed) and another 8 pounds of summer sausage that he couldn't fit in his freezer, so, he was donating it to me. Winning!

On Friday, Wife made an awesome chili (although with beans .... oh well... can't expect perfection all the time... still very good) and jalapeno cornbread. I called him back over for dinner and wife sent him home with the leftovers as a thank you.

I really enjoyed the combination of hog and venison... not the least bit gamey and the right balance of fat... It looked to be about 80/20, maybe a bit leaner, given the very little fat on top of the simmering chili pot. The butcher did a great job.

Wife immediately made a second batch and froze most of it for our daughter, we'll we see her this weekend. I'm looking forward to trying the summer sausage and eventually making a few burgers the next time we defrost some of the ground stuff.

If I remembered to take any pics, they would all look like chili.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    A good friend I haven't seen in a while knocked on my door Wednesday afternoon, trailing a cooler. I figured it was BYOB night at my house and nobody told me . He opens the cooler to reveal 12 pounds of ground hog+venison (mixed) and another 8 pounds of summer sausage that he couldn't fit in his freezer, so, he was donating it to me. Winning!

On Friday, Wife made an awesome chili (although with beans .... oh well... can't expect perfection all the time... still very good) and jalapeno cornbread. I called him back over for dinner and wife sent him home with the leftovers as a thank you.

I really enjoyed the combination of hog and venison... not the least bit gamey and the right balance of fat... It looked to be about 80/20, maybe a bit leaner, given the very little fat on top of the simmering chili pot. The butcher did a great job.

Wife immediately made a second batch and froze most of it for our daughter, we'll we see her this weekend. I'm looking forward to trying the summer sausage and eventually making a few burgers the next time we defrost some of the ground stuff.

If I remembered to take any pics, they would all look like chili.
    Sounds like it wluld make great burgers. Or smoked meatloaf. @BehindBlueI's

pat

Site Supporter
    Messed around a bit in the kitchen after having the thought of "why do all ingredients need to be seasoned the same?" for a one-pan dish.

So, sugar and cinnamon coated potatoes, pan fried in canola, followed by chili powder/paprika/cumin on onions tossed in a bit later, followed by chicken with oregano, garlic, and steak seasoning.

Good flavor when combined, and each piece still retains a bit of the initial flavor differences before they got put in the pan. Don't be afraid to experiment and go off the sheet

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Sounds like it wluld make great burgers. Or smoked meatloaf. @BehindBlueI's

pat
    Wife suggested a meatloaf as well. I could do both out of a 2 pound package.
    I'm very hamburger curious about this mix.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Wife suggested a meatloaf as well. I could do both out of a 2 pound package.
    I'm very hamburger curious about this mix.
    When I grind venison for burgers depending on my mood I will do 3:1,4:1 (most common) or 5:1 venison to bacon. I realize it is sacrilegious to do that with elk, but it stretches the elk and makes it a little easier to cook without drying out. And given my current fascination with smash burgers....

https://www.seriouseats.com/ultra-sm...ecipe-food-lab

pat

Site Supporter
    When I grind venison for burgers depending on my mood I will do 3:1,4:1 (most common) or 5:1 venison to bacon. I realize it is sacrilegious to do that with elk, but it stretches the elk and makes it a little easier to cook without drying out. And given my current fascination with smash burgers....

https://www.seriouseats.com/ultra-sm...ecipe-food-lab

pat
    The hog venison mix I have looks like 80/20, maybe 85/15....
    I'll have bacon on hand when I get ready to make patties. If I don't need to incorporate it, I can fry it for on top... Or both.
    Planning to smash-cook on the flat top. Thanks for the recipe.

Site Supporter
    Cold(ish, concerning where a lot of you are),winter day.

Did this. Don't underestimate the power of curry powder in you split pea soup.

Accompanied with this.

Sandwiches were done on the Baking Steel.

Huge hit.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 01-29-2022 at 08:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    Roasted cabbage to pair up with a smoked pork loin for dinner last night. We love roasting vegetables but had never tried it with cabbage before. Slice a large head in half through the core, then slice 3/4 inch slices, season (kosher salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder.... Whatever you like), oil (avocado yesterday) and roast at 425F for 30 minutes or until tender. Everyone went back until it was gone.

Wife also made a Parmesan Cake..... Looked and smelled like foccacia but really light inside, not quite cake-like. Truly awesome. Thinking about using the leftovers as a base for breakfast Benedict.

Site Supporter
    with this.

Sandwiches were done on the Baking Steel.
    Sent that to Wife. Right up her alley. Although, she's more of a tomato soup gal.
    Dad would have enjoyed the pea soup.

Roasted cabbage to pair up with a smoked pork loin for dinner last night. We love roasting vegetables but had never tried it with cabbage before. Slice a large head in half through the core, then slice 3/4 inch slices, season (kosher salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder.... Whatever you like), oil (avocado yesterday) and roast at 425F for 30 minutes or until tender. Everyone went back until it was gone.
    Especially in cold weather, it’s hard to beat the simplicity and goodness of a big pan of roasted vegetables. Onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, parsnips, cauliflower, whatever…….whack it, toss it in your spices of the day, roast it.

I’ve been doing roasted Brussels sprouts with Sichuan chili crisp oil mixed with sesame oil and ginger. This stuff is pricy but has a much more complex flavor than just heat.
    https://flybyjing.com/shop/sichuan-chili-crisp

Made good babaganoush. Grilling the eggplant is probably better but oven roasting is fine.

User Tag List