Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Anyone make bone broth?

After it cools

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Anyone make bone broth?

After it cools

Never had it before, what does it taste like?
    Looks like gelatin when it cools?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Never had it before, what does it taste like?
    Looks like gelatin when it cools?
    Without some salt and pepper not much. Kinda mild sweetness you'd get from unseasoned meat, and watered down fat. ..

That actually sounds nastier then it is. But it's boiling off the fat on the bones and the marrow inside along with any chunks of meat.

With enough cartilage bones it will gelatinize in room temp. That's collagen. It's the stuff they now sell in powdered form that you add to water and drink.

I drink it as is. Just warm up, and add a pinch of salt and pepper. It's kinda like drinking chicken soup when you're sick. But it can also be used for cooking. If you're making stew, soup, anything that has a "sauce" Also can be used for head cheese if you like that stuff.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Anyone make bone broth?
    I enjoy lots of different kinds of aspic... Started as a kid, eating grandma's P'tcha (jellied cow feet, made from foot bones). While I'm not a fan of gefilte fish, I do like the fish aspic that it's packed with. My friends grandmother made a great matzoh brei using the gefilte fish aspic instead of water to soak the matzohs. I'll eat the stuff that congeals at the bottom of the leftover containers. Good stuff.

I make stock occasionally, if I have enough leftover bones....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Anyone make bone broth?
    Rarely. I save all manner of bones in the freezer, and either get the occasional wild hair and do it, or, more frequiently, need freezer space and ditch the bones. More often, if I have a craving I will plan a couple of weeks out and fix a couple of meals a couple of times and make stock or broth on the weekend. Roasted chicken (even supermarket rotisserie chicken) and duck are really, really tasty. Normally I use the stuff as an ingredient and "ok" will work with other aromatics, spices, and seasonings. I rarely want to serve it by itself, so good enough is good enough. But duck consommé is fantastic!

pat

Site Supporter
    Costco frequently has thin sliced rib eye for shabu-shabu. Makes great Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches. Put the Baking Steel on the stove top and dry fried a red bell pepper, a green bell pepper, a yellow (Oh Yeah!) onion to get some char. When done, dropped a couple of slices of provolone, and then dropped a split hoagie roll wiped with mayo and sprinkled with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, and granulated garlic on top. A big spatula pulled the whole thing off....
    Name:  20220520_202753.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  34.2 KB

pat

Site Supporter
    Anyone make bone broth?

Site Supporter
    Anyone make bone broth?
    I like to smoke a couple of chickens. Then strip the meat off and make chicken stock using the carcasses loosely following Alton Brown's recipe.
    The smoky flavor of the chicken and stock works well for tortilla soup, gumbo, or jambalaya. Freezes well too.

Site Supporter
    Been working on my ethnic/local(ish) breakfast game.

migas and chilequiles

I know it is a mortal sin to use tortilla chips instead of fresh(ish) corn totillas, but screw you, it is easy and fast and I am time pressed.

Migas, yum. Little bit of oil into a heating pan. Mash the chips a little with a spoon until they begin to get browner. Add eggs, scramble, top with salsa (or sauce, there is a difference) and cheese of choice.

Chilequiles, or soggy breakfast nachos...

The key seems to be a little oil in a hot, hot pan. Dump in the salsa, so some of the sugars can carmelize. There should be some bubbling and boiling and sputtering. Stir in the corn chips, and remove from the heat. Top with cheese and over easy eggs so the yolks mix in. YUM.

The Mrs is sniffling and complaining that she is about to die. I used Sadie's Hot Salsa. I explained that she is not about to die, she just wants to die. She doesn't see the difference but cleaned her plate. (She actually licked it, which she gets on me about...) Don't tell her I told you. She knows where I sleep and where the suppressors are...

Just fixed a pan of green chile chicken enchiladas. I just realised my current process is lighter and has less sodium than all my co-workers. They use cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup. I toss green chile, salt, and garlic into the blender with buttermilk. Layer corn tortillas, chicken (used Costco hand pulled rotisserie chicken breast today), sauce and cheese till full. Into the oven at 375 on a foil lined sheet pan until it is bubbly and browned to your liking. I like my cheese crispy...

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 07-23-2022 at 01:20 PM.

Anyone make bone broth?
    Yes, to the point I will give someone a hard time for throwing bones out in my house. As for aspic, if a stock does not congeal when cool, it is not worth using.

User Tag List