Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Red Jalapenos are just green Jalapenos dried.
    Red are left on the vine to ripen further. Slightly sweeter than green, kind of like a Green bell pepper vs Red.

I picked up 2 pounds of Fresno peppers at lunch... We'll see in about 7 days how different the final product is ...

FWIW... Fresno's were $4.99/lb today and the Red Jalapenos were only $1.69/lb from the market across town... Even if the Fresno's work out, it'll be about $10 for the bottle. Back when Huy Fong was plentiful, a bottle was only about $4-$5 around here...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Red are left on the vine to ripen further. Slightly sweeter than green, kind of like a Green bell pepper vs Red.

I picked up 2 pounds of Fresno peppers at lunch... We'll see in about 7 days how different the final product is ...

FWIW... Fresno's were $4.99/lb today and the Red Jalapenos were only $1.69/lb from the market across town... Even if the Fresno's work out, it'll be about $10 for the bottle. Back when Huy Fong was plentiful, a bottle was only about $4-$5 around here...
    I just bought some fresh Anaheim Green Chile and they turned red in my refrigerator in 2 weeks. I do know one thing. Red Jalapenos are hotter than green. If you buy a can of Jalapenos and they're red you have yourself some damn hot Jalapenos. Probably vine ripened as you said. I gave mine to a food bank because they were just too damn hot for me.

Green Chiles (Anaheim) are a marketing ploy and just too expensive here. Seems like they're all from Hatch NM which I know they aren't. They grow those everywhere along the Rio Grande valley and sell them as Hatch. I got that form a grower in Hatch NM. Same thing happens with AK salmon. Copper River but probably not. I buy fresh Jalapenos because they're cheap and the most popular pepper grown in MX. My experience is the amount of water while growing and the time on the vine will determine how hot a pepper is.

When I was in HS the farmers where I lived grew mostly Jalapenos for market.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/types-...chiles-2342638

I don't know what Huy Fong is.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-21-2023 at 09:10 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I don't know what Huy Fong is.
    Name:  food-huy-fong-sriracha-packets-1_2048x@2x.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  41.2 KB

I roast Anaheim peppers often. Gonna have to try and keep some around and see if I can get them to turn red. Didn't know they did that.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Name:  food-huy-fong-sriracha-packets-1_2048x@2x.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  41.2 KB

I roast Anaheim peppers often. Gonna have to try and keep some around and see if I can get them to turn red. Didn't know they did that.
    Oh, that's Sriracha hot sauce. My wife has bought that but I don't use it. She doesn't like hot so there's a few bottles of it unopened. I never knew it was made with Jalapeno peppers. I thought it was some exotic Asian pepper. Maybe I'll try some.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/19/how-...ge-happen.html
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Last Saturday Mrs.UNM1136 and I had our 28th...and I had 8.5 hours mandatory OT, followed by 4.5 hours elective OT. Hell, I was already jocked up. The assignments were 7 minutes apart, and the day was already ruined....

Don't judge me...

Anyway, Sunday morning, after 3 hours of sleep I got up to prepare breakfast in bed. Biscuits, buttered. Ham. And Blackberry-Serrano Jelly from here. We got a gift box at the Firey Food Show from the maker after sampling her wares, but the box had sat unused since 3/23.

FORGIVEN!

pat

Site Supporter
    Huy Fong Sriracha was back in stock at the local Asian market on Sunday

Breakfast today was sautéed Shitake mushrooms and onions scrambled with an egg + egg whites, on corn tortillas with cojita, brown gravy and Sriracha. Mmmmmm.

Site Supporter

A family Christnas formula...er recipe.

I was in my 20s when I learned that a chile relleňo was, to most people, a pepper stufted with cheese, battered, and fried.

But my family's chiles relleños are magical.

Beef. Just pressure cooked a chuck roast with a pile of Angus stew meat. A Tbs of Costco green chile powder, some salt, Mrs Dash (Mrs UNM1136 is on a medically supervised diet).

The beef gets ground in my grinder attachment on my Kitchenaide with Hatch green chile, yellow onion, garlic, and cheddar cheese...the broth from the meat moistens the paste to a beefy tasty smoothness. My mom and I consume it on saltines, to taste and correct seasoning. I think of these as Mexican Pizza rolls, as I like lotza heat, lotza cheese, the end result should be a cheesy/chile/meat paste. (The ratios are.very taste related)

My grandmother insisted on relleňos being the length and thickness of her little finger. I use a 2oz disher. Mix gets portioned, rolled into little logs, and rolled in flour. They usually rest overnight on covered sheet pans on the porch, since this time of year the porch is refrigerator temp.

Then I take no more than 3 egg whites and beat them to stiff peaks, adding, a T of flour, a t of salt, and then mixing in the yolks. The little logs are rolled in the torta (the whipped egg whites with added yolks), the excess batter wiped off, and rolled in flour again.

The relleňos are the shallow fried in (preferably) corn oil and are done. Speaking from experience deep frying does not work

They are my most requested Superbowl snacks, and holiday pot luck items, and holiday gifts.

One of my most cherished childhood recipes, one that my kiddos are really hooked on and will, pass on...

When I was in cooking school I made these with water chestnuts for a rather tasteless crunch, for texture. The Food and Beverage Manager (one step above Executive Chef) of the Old Town Hotel Albuquerque.wanted the recipe...He got it, graciously.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 12-23-2023 at 04:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    To be clear...

Torta is generally a sandwich in Spanish,

To my mom, a teenager during Vatican II, torta was a meat substitute during Lent. They celebrated grandpa's pay check with cheese pizzas on Fridays. But torta was what the ate a lot of each of those 40 days. Egg whites are whipped to stiff peaks, and per egg a T of flour and a t of salt were added. Then the yolks were added. Patties of torta were fried, then served with red chile.

Just like my relleňos are not what people expect...

pat

Site Supporter
    Our local school system had in my day "gold bars" they were a thing, but my parents put me into private school. So kindergarten.

I have the recipe if anyone wants it, but it is peanut butter, powdered sugar. Rice Crispies, covered in coating chocolate.

OMFG, these gold bars are worth their weight in...well...gold bars...

pat

Pressure cooker Beef stew just finished cooking.

Shrimp cocktail is ready and chilled. The cocktail sauce was made yesterday to meld: a bit of jalapeno ketchup, mostly real sugar ketchup, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and more horseradish than a sane person would add.

Homemade swedish meatballs: cream, flour, butter, good beef stock, freshly ground allspice, and microplaned nutmeg.

Beer battered haddock fresh out of the fryer. Malt vinegar and cocktail sauce on the side.

crescent roll wrapped cocktail weenies of two varieties.

The dog got into the sweet rolls so none of those.

French 75s in the Morgenthaler style. Sugar cube and angostura bitters on the side for champagne cocktails. And no champagne but rather two different bottles of proseco. Seagram's for gin because it's good enough and mild for those less enthusiastic about the best multi-use liquor.

User Tag List