Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: For 3rd Gen S&W lovers

I bought a 5946 about the same time I got my 92D, and liked the trigger on the pizzagun a whole lot more- plus the fact that the Beretta resets for dry fire. Traded the Smif for another Beretta.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The smoothest 3rd-gen DA I've ever felt was a late-batch 5946 at the local Cabela's in maybe 2016-2017. Almost bought it. $680 was a decent price for a ANIB version even pre-Covid.
    When I first saw it I legit went to check my bank balance. Then I realized I didn't really want an almost $700 pristine survivor. I want something with some wear on it that I'm not going to feel weird about shooting and like I have to handle it with kid gloves.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I bought a 5946 about the same time I got my 92D, and liked the trigger on the pizzagun a whole lot more- plus the fact that the Beretta resets for dry fire. Traded the Smif for another Beretta.
    Everyone seems to rave about the 92D trigger. On the DA/SA Berettas I’ve had (never had a D), I personally felt the DA pull left a lot to be desired vs. Sigs and 3rd gens. Stacking and a lot of overtravel. Even with my PX4cc, I find it difficult to keep the gun stable when the hammer falls in DA (I have a EP trigger bar which I still need to install—hoping that improves it).

So is the DA pull on a 92D different from the DA pull on a DA/SA 92? Or is it just me?

Everyone seems to rave about the 92D trigger. On the DA/SA Berettas I’ve had (never had a D), I personally felt the DA pull left a lot to be desired vs. Sigs and 3rd gens. Stacking and a lot of overtravel. Even with my PX4cc, I find it difficult to keep the gun stable when the hammer falls in DA (I have a EP trigger bar which I still need to install—hoping that improves it).

So is the DA pull on a 92D different from the DA pull on a DA/SA 92? Or is it just me?
    When I handled a 92D, yes, the trigger stroke was absolute nirvana. At the time, however, no slim grips existed for the 92, so any 92 was a no-go, for me. I did end up with a single-stack S&W 3953, though it went to live with a dear friend, some time after I entered another all-1911-or-revolver phase.

It is quite interesting to speculate what might have been, in my personal gun-totin’ habits, had slim grips existed for the Beretta 92, back then.

Edited to add: When I discovered the slimmer factory SIG trigger option, that finally allowed me to reach the trigger in the forward/DA position, the weapon happened to be a P229 DAK, newly-available in 2004. This started a long, happy time, with DAK, which lasted until the high-bore-axis, combined with the fast-accelerating .40 S&W, the light alloy frame, and my advancing arthritis, started becoming vexing. SIG never made DAK-compatible all-stainless steel frames, so, eventually, I got away from SIG DAK, for duty/carry.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-08-2021 at 11:50 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

There are brand-brand, model-model and specimen-specimen differences, but often, the DAO triggers are better than the DA stroke in a DA/SA gun. This is obviously true in a DAK or LEM and I find it to be generally true in the 3rd gen S&W guns and the Beretta 92. The PX4 was offered in a Type C that much better than the DFA/SA or DAO models. More specific to your question, I find a stock DA trigger on a 92 to be a typical mediocre DA trigger pull and the stock trigger on a 92D to be very good.

I am primarily talking about weight/resistance, smoothness and travel distance. Offhand I don't think I have noticed a difference in overtravel or stacking. Others probably have more detailed information.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    When I handled a 92D, yes, the trigger stroke was absolute nirvana. At the time, however, no slim grips existed for the 92, so any 92 was a no-go, for me. I did end up with a single-stack S&W 3953, though it went to live with a dear friend, some time after I entered another all-1911-or-revolver phase.

It is quite interesting to speculate what might have been, in my personal gun-totin’ habits, had slim grips existed for the Beretta 92, back then.

Edited to add: When I discovered the slimmer factory SIG trigger option, that finally allowed me to reach the trigger in the forward/DA position, the weapon happened to be a P229 DAK, newly-available in 2004. This started a long, happy time, with DAK, which lasted until the high-bore-axis, combined with the fast-accelerating .40 S&W, the light alloy frame, and my advancing arthritis, started becoming vexing. SIG never made DAK-compatible all-stainless steel frames, so, eventually, I got away from SIG DAK, for duty/carry.
    I have wondered from time to time about seeing if I could DAK convert a stainless gun but have not gotten around to checking the frames. I have a few conversion kits and a few stainless guns. Are you pretty confident that they are not DAK compatible?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Edited to add: When I discovered the slimmer factory SIG trigger option, that finally allowed me to reach the trigger in the forward/DA position, ...
    I keep a spare long-reach trigger on hand, just in case the next classic Sig I buy has the wrong one in it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    More specific to your question, I find a stock DA trigger on a 92 to be a typical mediocre DA trigger pull and the stock trigger on a 92D to be very good.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the insight.

My 92Cs DA trigger was especially bad. I read that wear on the stock trigger bar could cause a burr that would... make the DA pull crappy. I sold it, intending to replace it with a FS 92. Just never got around to it.

Site Supporter
    Gotcha. Thanks for the insight.

My 92Cs DA trigger was especially bad. I read that wear on the stock trigger bar could cause a burr that would... make the DA pull crappy. I sold it, intending to replace it with a FS 92. Just never got around to it.

Did you ever try a D spring in it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Did you ever try a D spring in it?
    I had the Wilson Combat spring that was, like, the poundage-equivalent of the D spring. Or maybe even less?

Didn't seem like an issue of pull weight, per se. It just felt like it hung up on something... then overtraveled the __ck out of all that energy. And I'd miss.

If that makes any sense...

User Tag List