Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For 3rd Gen S&W lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Yep. I bought my wife a 5943 (blued slide) back in the day.
    Back when my dad had a gun shop in the mid to late 90's, I remember a distributor selling NIB 5943's for $199 with 1 15 round mecgar magazine. Those sold very quickly.

JR1572

Society is getting dumbed down. Now, the "smart" shooters can recite the Glock models and explain what size and caliber each model represents. In the good ole days, you had to learn what the 3 and 4 numbers of the S&W auto pistol line represented.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've always loved 3rd Gens......they just don't love me in return.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Society is getting dumbed down. Now, the "smart" shooters can recite the Glock models and explain what size and caliber each model represents. In the good ole days, you had to learn what the 3 and 4 numbers of the S&W auto pistol line represented.
    Damn millenials...

I wish 3rd gens were still in production though.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Damn millenials...
    This millenial knows the difference between a 5926 and a 5903, thank you kind sir.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    This millenial knows the difference between a 5926 and a 5903, thank you kind sir.
    Heh, I don't. And I'm a millenial. :P

I'd buy one if they were being made by the factory but there are other fish in the sea now if one is looking for a good quality DA/SA at a good price. Time has left the 3rd gen smiths and their sense of ergonomics (or lack thereof) in the dust. There are too many options not to buy something that you like.

On a tangent here, but I tend to grip a gun so hard my hands are sore at the end of a range session, so I wonder sometimes how important it is to have a gun that is "ergonomic"

My first exposure to centerfire handguns was with a 5926 about 1994-95ish at the ripe age of 12. I was totally hooked and from then on had a special appreciation for 3rd gen guns although the only one I ever owned was a 4040PD (wish I hadn't sold it). In this a area, like many others, the 3rd gen was THE cop gun. The regional academy I instruct at has a very small agency that still issues 5906s, very old worn 5906s. It's hard to say how many rounds those guns have shot and this agency is a "stepping stone" type place so it's very likey the same gun is repeatedly returning class after class with probably no maintenance. I've never seen one of those 5906s malfunction, it's of course only a matter of time but the guns surprise me. In a room full of Glocks, M&Ps, and a couple Sigs it seems that one 5906 refuses to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Heh, I don't. And I'm a millenial. :P
    There's still time to square yourself away...

Insofar as the company making them new again.......BWAHahahahahaha.....'scuse me, let me catch my breath....BWAHahahahahah....OK.

Have you guys SEEN the average guy/gal at the local gun range nowadays ? What makes you all believe Mr Cerakote XD will ever appreciate a piece like a 1006?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    There was a thread over on M4C recently asking about interest in a one time production run of third-generation Smith auto with a melonite finish.

My first issued duty gun was a 4566, factory melonite with decock only controls. Purchased it after we switched to M&P45's, but subsequently sold it. That gun was incredibly reliable, especially since I was in a maritime environment, but in my hands it was not particularly accurate. No fault of the gun, but I need a grip with more girth.

Like most gun sales, wish I still had it. Sentimental value and all...

-G
    Last edited by DpdG; 08-22-2015 at 04:43 PM.

User Tag List