Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For 3rd Gen S&W lovers

Site Supporter
    I agree. I own two Smiths,a 6906 and a 4506. That 6906 has the best trigger on any gun I own or have ever shot not including my 1911. Great guns. We used them extensively back in the day and I'm not talking about range time. The 3rd Gen Smiths never let us down.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I agree. I own two Smiths,a 6906 and a 4506. That 6906 has the best trigger on any gun I own or have ever shot not including my 1911. Great guns. We used them extensively back in the day and I'm not talking about range time. The 3rd Gen Smiths never let us down.
    My old man owns the same two. Both are massive and like bricks in my hand, but they both run like a top. I started shooting competitively with that 4506 and aside from pulling your pants down to your ankles it also doubled as a handy mace.
    Last edited by Peally; 08-19-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I find it funny... These days competition shooters are returning to heavy, accurate DA/SA guns: CZ, Tanfo, Sig X5, Sphinx?

I always liked the brick-kitten-house build of the Gen3 S&W's... Helluva great gun...

I have a 4506 I bought new in the late 1980's. It is a solid, dependable gun, but the ergonomics are not as good as the 1911 I bought about a year later. Due to my preference for the 1911, my 4506 has very low mileage.

An observation I like to make with every S&W TDA, Ruger P-Series, and Beretta 92FS/M9 (three TDA designs with slide mounted safety/decockers) threads I see on forums. With the S&W TDA's and Ruger P-Series guns you always read posts such as "solid, built like a tank, reliable, will feed anything, etc…"

Conversely, you typically can't get five posts into a Beretta 92FS/M9 thread without the inevitable "that awful, backwards operating, safety." You can read pages and pages of thread on S&W TDA guns and Ruger P-Series guns an never see a mention of the safety lever. Apparently, people have no trouble operating the S&W and Ruger safety's, but the Beretta version, which operates identically to the other two designs, is unworkable.

I could blame this thread, but I decided to get a 4506 I saw on GunBroker. It's an early one before S&W put Novak rear Sights on them.
    http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/4988970...x418884863.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post

Conversely, you typically can't get five posts into a Beretta 92FS/M9 thread without the inevitable "that awful, backwards operating, safety." You can read pages and pages of thread on S&W TDA guns and Ruger P-Series guns an never see a mention of the safety lever. Apparently, people have no trouble operating the S&W and Ruger safety's, but the Beretta version, which operates identically to the other two designs, is unworkable.
    That is because the design is NOT identical.

Sure they operate similarly, but the 92 has a crucial difference(some might say flaw): because the 92 originally was a Condition 1 pistol modified to accomodate a slide mounted safety , the safety lever is VERY small in size compared to the 3rd Gen Smiths and P series Rugers. Small levers = unworkable for most people without big thumbs or the Langdon surname.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Smart users just flick the safety off just after decocking

One interesting aspect of the 3rd Generation S&W line is the number of trigger/safety variants. Models such as the 5926 or 1076 mimicked the SIG-Sauer decocking lever...

Later, S&W would offer pistols (like the 4566) with a slide mounted decocker only, similar to the Beretta 92 'G' series. Note the warning markings added to the slide.

And besides the DAO versions, the Performance Center even made some third generation pistols into single action designs like the elegant 952 and the very 1911-esque Model 945...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Weren't there some "DAO" Smiths with a precocked DA trigger similar to HK's LEM?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Weren't there some "DAO" Smiths with a precocked DA trigger similar to HK's LEM?
    Yep. I bought my wife a 5943 (blued slide) back in the day.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List