Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For 3rd Gen S&W lovers

For 3rd Gen S&W lovers

Jerry Miculek with a Performance Center 5906 made for Mexican SF, whoever they are. Unobtanium but as a DA/SA guy I want one...bad.

Last edited by Tom_Jones; 08-18-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: embedded video
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Very cool gun. S&W made a few runs of melonited stainless guns. I wish they still made 3rd gen variants.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Jerry Miculek with a Performance Center 5906 made for Mexican SF, whoever they are. Unobtanium but as a DA/SA guy I want one...bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXwL...ature=youtu.be
    As an owner of a 4006 I'll say they have drawbacks.

They're heavy, the logistical support is dodgy to nonexistent currently for specialized models, and the ergonomics make a Glock 17 Gen 3 feel like a P30.

Yet, if the shooter can work with the weight and ergos, fun is there to be had.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post

They're heavy, the logistical support is dodgy to nonexistent currently for specialized models, and the ergonomics make a Glock 17 Gen 3 feel like a P30.

I'm just curious and I'm gonna sound like a real asshole when I say this but...Do you ever have anything positive to say?

I'm not going to point counter-point you on this one. I love 3rd Gen Smiths - A LOT. I would own more of them and carry them exclusively, if they had better parts availability. Unfortunately, Smith deciding to discontinue parts production means these guns are doomed to fade into obscurity, replaced by the infinitely inferior (in my not so humble opinion) M&P. Which means I have transitioned my semi-auto carry over to Kahrs, because they are in current production and parts are available. The Kahrs also have the best DAO triggers in the biz, comparable to the lovely DA stroke on my 3rd Gen Smiths.

-Rob

The Performance Center also made a run of those in stainless with IDPAXXX serial numbers for their competition team and the public. They are 9mm made on the beefier 40 frame if I recall correctly. I have one and it is a dead accurate pistol. They are fitted with a Briley bushing.
    "Gettin' everybody to love me is a full time job..." - Kenny Powers

As someone who owns 3 10mm, 1 .45 and two 9mm models, I think this is a pretty fair assessment.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Well, what's that in the punch bowl?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Yooooo...!
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I just have a regulate 5906 and 5903 and like both of them a lot. I would like to have a Performance Center one too.

The S&W 3rd Generation guns were the pistols of my youth. My first pistol was a 5903, purchased in the early 90s. My extensive research (which consisted of a steady diet of Handguns, Combat Handguns and Guns & Ammo) on 9mm handguns at the time had indicated that the Beretta M9 was prone to spontaneously exploding (several writers were getting serious mileage out of the few slide fracturing incidents) and Glocks were still weird guns with weird plastic frames and weird triggers. With ambitions of joining the military but not seeking to purchase such a maligned sidearm, I decided to purchase a 3rd generation S&W since the DA/SA trigger and slide mounted hammer drop safety essentially matched the Beretta's manual of arms. The 5903 proved sufficiently accurate and reliable but I eventually sold it to the Battalion Sergeant Major when my attention turned to Glock pistols.

A buddy liked my 5903 enough that he bought a S&W 915, which he eventually traded for a Glock 17. Many years later, the same buddy received a mint S&W 4506 from an uncle who was no longer shooting. Since the 4506 came complete with a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster, we could only assume that someone was receiving his firearms advice from a serious Miami Vice fan.

Which I am totally okay with. I've got dibs on the 4506 if it ever goes up for sale. It probably has 200 rounds through it...

Gotta love late 80s Galco marketing...

Last edited by JSGlock34; 08-18-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List