Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Springfield Armory XD9

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I believe it'd be the striker retaining pin. Though unless it falls out the bottom of the slide and gets caught in something important, the gun will function without it.
    Yes sir. I might as well jump in here as I do have some experience with the XD line. I used and carried various Xds for a number of years prior to moving back to HK (my first gun was a USP45). I used an XD .45 Tactical 5 inch for some time and put about 20,000 through it. I won multiple local bowling pin and dueling tree matches. It worked well, (less than 5 malfunctions IIRC) I also had a .40SC that had about 6000 through it. It also worked well, I don't recall any malfuntions that could not be attributed to ammo. The issues I noticed were that the mag lip would contact the bottom of the ejector causing deformation on both over time. This was observed in the .45Tac, .40SC, and a 9Tac. Also of note, the .40 mags would deform in the front under recoil. You could actually see the dimples formed from the flat nosed FMJ. Over time, this became an issue. Mag changes always seemed awkward for my hand size. I much preferred the HK style. Around this time my wife started eyeballing the P30. I came across pistol-training.com and sumdood named TLG.....
    Last edited by CCT125US; 08-24-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    I believe it'd be the striker retaining pin. Though unless it falls out the bottom of the slide and gets caught in something important, the gun will function without it.
    Nope I don't think that was it. I was on the same squad with the XD owner and the National Champion I previously discussed. Both the shooter and the National Champion took the gun to the safe table and tried to get it so that the shooter could at least finish the match. They had the gun apart. No joy, the guy was done for the day.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Is any of that opensource, or could you at the very least give an idea what the negativity revolved around?
    It's informal info relayed by one of the testers, the issues were reliability related. His quote was "of all the guns we tested the PX4 would be the last one I would ever want to carry for duty."

One of the good competitive shooters here in the PNW (David Willecke) uses XD's exclusively and he places well. He placed 12th overall in Production at CCS and took 2nd overall at the WA IDPA Championship two weeks ago.

Of course, more here say formed from another persons opinion without any factual data to support the claim.
    The PX4 seems to have always gotten a bad reputation, but what is amazing is everybody that actually shoots one never reports a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It's informal info relayed by one of the testers, the issues were reliability related. His quote was "of all the guns we tested the PX4 would be the last one I would ever want to carry for duty."

XDM 5.25 is a great shooting striker game gun. In SW Arizona, they appear to be much more common than the 17/34 in USPSA Production class.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by kcevans View Post
    Of course, more here say formed from another persons opinion without any factual data to support the claim.
    The PX4 seems to have always gotten a bad reputation, but what is amazing is everybody that actually shoots one never reports a problem.
    This is from someone I know personally, have shot with and worked with. He is a firearms instructor and armorer for his agency. The DPS testing is covered by NDA's so that is as much as can be said. Same for my agencies testing of the XD. Both are based on factual data and shooting the guns extensively.

The fact that there are no major law-enforcement agencies using the XD or it's variants is a clue. The rotating barrel Beretta designs, the cougar and the PX4 have seen some agency sales however the two larger agencies I'm aware of which adopted them, one in the U.S. And one in Canada, experienced numerous problems. This doesn't mean the guns will have bad trigger pulls or not shoot and feel good. As I said in my original reply the XDs are nice shooting guns and I wouldn't pass up a deal on 5" as a range toy but I would never trust my life to one unless I had no other options.

We have a member here on PF who has posted numerous times about the problems his county agency had with their Beretta PX4s and how relieved to finally transition to the Gen 4 Glocks.

There were questions and disbelief when I reported that my agency authorizes Glock 26 and 17 but not 19s because we've had more problems in the past with the 19s than all the other 9 mm Glock's put together.. Does that mean I don't own a Glock 19? No but it means I understand that I was lucky to get a "good one" and I remain vigilant for potential issues.

Believe what you want to believe.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-24-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    XDM 5.25 is a great shooting striker game gun. In SW Arizona, they appear to be much more common than the 17/34 in USPSA Production class.
    This echoes what I have seen of the model as well. I've seen a couple in classes, and got to put a few mags through one at a class late last year; I was pretty impressed by it.

If it weren't for the way the grip safety works, I might own one. They seem to be excellent out of the box target guns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Louis Awerbuck was the only instructor that I am aware of that liked them. Though last time I spoke to him about the XD he said he sent it to Springfield and told them to keep it.

User Tag List