Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory XD9

For most peoples' purposes, the XD9 works just fine. Street price is usually about 100 bucks less than a Glock and it's "basically the same thing" to a lot of folks, so I've sold a ton of them. I don't recall any needing to be sent back to Springfield (except for the XDs recall) and in my experience they're reliable as anything else. Though I did have a lady bring one in that had not only never been cleaned, but apparently dropped in a river at some point as well (the lady didn't know how to field strip it and was afraid to try), needless to say it was 100% useless until I hosed it down for her. I can't comment on long term durability having never owned one, though I'd bet most that buy them probably don't shoot more than a couple hundred rounds a year so I don't think it's an issue that comes up a lot.

The XDm OTOH seems to be fairly popular in competitions but it's ridiculously overpriced.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    I see a lot of them in local competitions...but then again I see a lot of them shit the bed in same competitions. Granted the plural of anecdotes is not "Data" but in my experience, I've seen more XDm's choke up than 2011's...

I'd really just save the extra hundred for a Glock. I'd pick a Springfield XD over a Taurus, but I'd not willingly carry either.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post

I'd really just save the extra hundred for a Glock. I'd pick a Springfield XD over a Taurus, but I'd not willingly carry either.
    Agreed on the willingness part. That being said, if Aliens Invaded and The Resistance offered me the choice between an XD9 and a PT92, I'd pick the Taurus. The latter is enough of a Beretta clone to be moderately reliable.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    I bought a used XD Tactical 9mm for a really low price with a lot of magazines. It had many rounds though it before I got it (no, I do not have an accurate count) and my son and I have put more through it with no issues. I would buy one for range use and practice.

Quote Originally Posted by kcevans View Post
    Looking at picking up the service model, what is every bodies take on this pistol. Reliability, shoot ability over all satisfaction.
    Never a problem with my 2 (outside of a problem with my handloads).

$350-ish, more or less, around here, for a good used one.

Site Supporter
    There is a large contingent of these at local matches I go to. They all seem to run fine. I think the XDM 5.25 is an interesting pistol I just can't get past the price. That and the overbearing marketing of these pistols (ref the 'GRIP ZONE' ) that is for some reason a major sticking point for me.

I must live in the Twilight Zone. My observations of the XD platform are different than those expressed here. In training and during IDPA matches, I've observed several XDs and they all run fine. Can't recall seeing one tank. Only wish I could say the same about the various Glocks I have seen nose dive.

In my CCW classes I've had to disassemble two of them "hot" because the grip safety broke leaving a live round in the chamber and the slide locked shut.
    Not fun.
    The ones I've seen in my classes run well but when they do go down they go down hard.
    Last edited by JodyH; 08-22-2015 at 08:03 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    As observed above, it is the grip safety that is questionable. FWIW, the HK VP9 is the improved version of the XD9. I would take a look at this pistol instead if you are interested in a modern striker-fired pistol.

How exactly does the xd relate to the vp9?
    Last edited by Super77; 08-23-2015 at 07:48 PM.

User Tag List