Thread: Need some help/opinions

Need some help/opinions

I was looking for some knowledge/opinions on a Dan Wesson model 15, 4 inch barrel, pachmeyer grips. It has some holster wear and a slight cylinder ring. I have only seen pictures of it so far. He has valued it at 600. I am thinking about trading an M&P 9C for it.

It only has the one barrel, no tools for changing barrels. I have some idea of what to look for when I get it in my hands, just wondering what it might be worth, what I would need to look out for.

I have a Dan Wesson 15-2 with 6 inch barrel. It's very accurate. Mine came with the original barrel tool, which is made of steel. I bought an aftermarket aluminum tool also. The original steel tool fits much better. You will need a feeler gauge to check the cylinder to forcing cone gap. .006 is the recommended gap, although some people gap it a little closer. I've only had my barrel loosen up a bit one time, but you do need to check it occasionally. I really like the pistol. It's one of the pistols Buffalo Bore says is OK to use with their ammo. I paid $700 for mine in the original Dan Wesson box with shipping. Depending on the market in your area, you might find a 4 inch barrel pistol for a little less than $600. Check out the prices on Gunbroker. Mine was virtually unfired, in pristine condition. Their is a Dan Wesson Forum online which you may find useful.
    Last edited by byrdland; 08-18-2015 at 06:59 AM.

$600 sounds very good for my area. If the gun has the vent rib and underlug barrel, I'd go for it. They're great guns, I have two of them. The changing of the barrels is a bit overrated, since you have to re-sight the gun with each barrel swap. I've left mine in place for over a decade, though I have several barrels for each of mine. The real advantage is the accuracy you get with a barrel tensioned at each end.

Also, the Hogue grip is actually a plus. I never liked the clunky original wood grips.

Thanks for the replies. After getting a closer look at the pistol I decided not to do the trade. The "minor" holster wear, cylinder ring and scratches turned out to be major. He said he was the second owner and the guy he bought it from had it in a safe for 20 years. He must have ridden it pretty hard before he put it in the barn....

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I have a 15-2 as well, but the barrels are seperate and werent part of the "Hunter Pak" or whatever they called it. Purchased it on my 21st birthday. Still have it. Great shooter. Parts are still available but are...as you can imagine...kind of "niche". I just discovered the Ruger adjustable rear sight is a drop in replacement for the stock model. Ive been carrying mine with the 2" tube on it but that dang rear target sight digs into my "beer storage area" something fierce. The Ruger should help on that.
    Last edited by entropy; 08-19-2015 at 07:38 AM.

User Tag List