Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Apparently the Canadian military wants a new handgun

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    What about some kind of Beretta 92D? Not sure if that meets the exact length of pull requirements...
    All of the markings would have to be duplicated in both official languages, and in metric.

(We can't risk any accidents.)

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Hilariously, the XD meets all those requirements.
    I don't think so. XD does not have the trick link that depresses the
    sear when the disassembly lever is turned, like the one at SIG P320.
    One must pull the trigger to disassemble HS2000 or XD.
    Here's a quote from the manual:

"6. *Pull the slide slightly to the rear to release the slide
    stop lever. Then, firmly gripping the slide, allow the
    slide to slowly move forward until the spring tension is
    released. While holding the slide, pull and release the
    trigger with the firearm pointed in a safe direction to
    fully unlock the slide from the frame (See Figure 27-1.)"

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    I don't think so. XD does not have the trick link that depresses the
    sear when the disassembly lever is turned, like the one at SIG P320.
    The XDM does work this way, though. From that manual:

5 Rotate the disassembly lever clockwise to a vertical12 o’clock position (See Figure 24-2).
    6. Firmly grip slide and pull to the rear to release the slide stop lever (See Figure 25-1). Maintain firm grip on slide and allow the slide to slowly move forward until the spring tension is released.
    7. Move the complete slide assembly forward and off the frame (See Figure 25-2).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    What about some kind of Beretta 92D? Not sure if that meets the exact length of pull requirements... but it's DAO. It's definitely under NATO use. And Beretta has successfully produced them in other places for decades. "Modular" is kind of subjective, I guess. But the 92 platform has lots of variations/accessories/options.

5946... 92D... I could see it.
    5946 is out of production and the Beretta 92F and G models under Nato use but the D is not. Nor is either by any stretch of the imagination "modular." Regardless Metal frame pistols are no longer cost competitive.

2011 was a long time ago and I would not assume the requirements are the same as in 2011 when the OP was posted. The original requirements included modular grip sizing but not an actual modular pistol like the P250/P320/APX etc as mentioned in the current articles.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-07-2021 at 01:22 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked_police View Post
    CBSA (customs) got the Px4, Corrections (jail guards) got the P2000. The rcmp has had the 5946 and 3953 for almost a decade (with Sig's just recently issued to ERT again).

I also wonder what will happen with this....
    RCMP has been using the 5946 and 3953 since 1992 (28 years) so nearly 3 decades....

S&W ceased even the LE agency only production of the 5946 2 or 3 years ago as the RCMP and NYPD were the only remaining users.

The P226's in use by ERT are folded slide models and like everyone else with the older SIGs they can no longer get parts for them..

‘94 is when SARP was rolled out. ERT and PDS were the guys that did the conversion training for the regular members, since they were the first ones to get the new guns.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    RCMP has been using the 5946 and 3953 since 1992 (28 years) so nearly 3 decades....

S&W ceased even the LE agency only production of the 5946 2 or 3 years ago as the RCMP and NYPD were the only remaining users.

The P226's in use by ERT are folded slide models and like everyone else with the older SIGs they can no longer get parts for them..

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    Still using Inglis hi powers?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    Yes - you have pictures of Sartechs in Haiti carrying those things.

Great gun, but some of the storage SOPs and maintenance failures are the stuff of nightmares from my time in.

ETA: Barrels for nearly any pistol can be made with a chrome-lined bore and chamber. Most of the pistols currently in service miss on one of the other criteria, although the easiest to fix is probably the ambi mag release on some of the designs. I am thinking APX (in service with Italy for some time), or VP9. But TDP for 10,000 pistols... maybe Canik from Turkey would enter their Walther P99 derivative.

Site Supporter
    https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...e-of-complaint

Military plan to replace Second World War-era pistols is on hold because of complaint

Ottawa Citizen
    Publishing date:Jul 19, 2021

The plan to replace the Canadian military’s Second World War-era pistols is on hold for now after a firm representing one of the gun manufacturers complained the competition was designed to favour its competitors.

Federal government officials were to receive bids on Aug. 3 for new pistols to replace the army’s Browning Hi-Power handguns. The plan was to award a contract for a new gun by December and start delivering the first weapons to troops in the summer of 2022.

But that process has come to a halt after Rampart International of Ottawa, the firm that represents handgun manufacturer Glock in the Canadian market, filed a complaint with the Canadian International Trade Tribunal. Rampart alleges the government-run competition favours Glock’s rivals, Beretta and Sig Sauer.

As a result, the CITT has requested the federal government put any contract award on hold.

Public Services and Procurement Canada spokesman Jeremy Link said the department “has full confidence in the rigour, fairness and outcomes of its competitive procurement processes.”

Inside baseball says that Glock is at a disadvantage, because the Canadian nation’s standard hookers n blow quotient is already waaaaay beyond what Glock can muster to influence contracting.

I mean, have any of you ever been to Vancouver?

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    This is true. I wouldn't get out of bed for less than two hookers and an eight ball. I've been to Glock's parties. They're decent.

And I'm not looking for decent.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List