Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Apparently the Canadian military wants a new handgun

The last couple of times the Canadian govt went looking for pistols it bought PX4's for the Border guards, and HKp2000V5 for the prison guards and Park Rangers.

Only God knows what obscure pistol the Canadian Army will end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    You'd better hope that you're not getting the New Service (can you say "boat anchor"), or the Trooper Mk III (can you say "fragile parts/timing") back...

Best, Jon
    You're not kidding! First revo I ever broke was a Trooper. But that still doesn't mean I don't love them.

CBSA (customs) got the Px4, Corrections (jail guards) got the P2000. The rcmp has had the 5946 and 3953 for almost a decade (with Sig's just recently issued to ERT again).

I also wonder what will happen with this....

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    The primary thing that's always made me think the standard XD does is because a friend of mine managed to put a .40 caliber hole in his kitchen tile by not chamber checking his XD prior to a field strip.

Then again, my buddy could just be dumb(er than expected). Wouldn't be the first time.
    is your buddy named mark by chance? does he live in nc?

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    You're not kidding! First revo I ever broke was a Trooper. But that still doesn't mean I don't love them.
    There's a reason that the serious revolver shooters pick S&W over Colts...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Whatever we get, it will be heads and shoulders above what is currently being issued. The Inglis, with its stock sights, sucks. There's no eloquent way of saying that. Without ideal lighting conditions, a sight picture is a pipe dream. For goodness sakes, it has the same sights that were being used during World War 2! Knowing that, we should have milled off the stock irons en masse, dovetailed the front and rear sights, and had armourers install Trijicons. At least then we would have a sidearm that was marginally useful. But that would make entirely too much sense.

Why we insist on having a Canadian company provide our arms and equipment is beyond me. Yes, Diemaco cold hammer forged barrels are the heat, the C7 series rifles and the C8 carbines are sick, but our tac-vest is the bastard child from the Cold War that nobody wants. For crying out loud, it doesn't even carry the required number of magazines, forcing soldiers to pocket magazines to come up to patrol weight. To top it off, our standard issue optical sight is on its fourth generation of mounts (and may have finally solved the problems holding zero, windage, etc). Even then, it is impossible to properly mount back up iron sights (no free rail at the receiver), leaving the rifleman with iffy glass and no alternative. The Dueck Defense sights by Surefire seem to be a viable alternative, but at that point it would be the individual soldier purchasing his own kit.

I hope that our Conversative government with its majority rule can shake the cobwebs out of our military. We were and are currently deployed in Afghanistan, and did a hell of a job (in my twenty-two year old opinion) with what we were given, but it's high time that we stopped letting equipment issues get in the way of good soldiering.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Apparently the Canadians are requiring that Colt Canada manufactures the weapon...the "winner" will have to deliver a TDP that Colt in Candada can use to manufacture the weapon.
    For 10,000 pistols? I'll be amazed if that doesn't get ripped out.
    Told you so.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Can't say I'm shocked that nobody wanted to hand over their data package.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by zRxz View Post
    We were and are currently deployed in Afghanistan, and did a hell of a job (in my twenty-two year old opinion) with what we were given, but it's high time that we stopped letting equipment issues get in the way of good soldiering.
    Your opinion is widely shared.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I would describe myself as approximately 0.4 - 0.7% surprised at the outcome. There was a very small part of me that thought this would last an entire year before being abandoned.

User Tag List