Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apparently the Canadian military wants a new handgun

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    I'm kind of curious what does qualify.

It almost read like a Glock feature list, until you get to the no trigger pull for disassembly requirement.

The weight requirement rules out them just moving from P225s to P226s.

The NATO use requirement would rule out something like the S&W M&P.

Germany issues the USP as the P8, but it doesn't meet the requirement of adjustable grip profiles (and I don't think the P30 has been officially fielded by any NATO militaries?)

What's that leave?

ETA:

Depending on how they define it, the ambidextrous magazine release requirement could rule quite a few designs out, as well.
    Would the P2000 count as it is issued to CBP (customs/border patrol) or does it have to be military issue i.e. Marines, Army, or other NATO countries equivalent?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by P30shtr View Post
    Would the P2000 count as it is issued to CBP (customs/border patrol) or does it have to be military issue i.e. Marines, Army, or other NATO countries equivalent?
    One would assume they mean NATO military, and as far as I know, no NATO military issues any of the newer HKs on anything like a regular basis.

Plus, the chromed bore thing.

If I had to bet, I'd put $5 on somebody wanting the P99. Either they've got one and they they think it's just the berries, or their nephew's a Montreal cop and swears it's the greatest pistol ever, or their cousin's sister's brother-in-law is a sales rep for the Bumar Group, or something like that.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    Sorry, that was my bad.

I meant to "reply with quote" on Misanthropist's post, instead I clicked "edit post". Sorry guys.

I actually wrote

but I agree.
    Man, the fiscal crisis must be making the Germans nervous...instead of invading France or Poland, they're just invading my posts on Pistol-Forum. Economically that probably is a better option, I guess.

At least the P99 is a decent pistol, if that's what we go with.

But my guess is that this will just end up getting ignored by the majors and maybe they'll issue a new offer. I actually was wondering last night if this whole contract was designed not to get bids, so that somebody who's involved in the selection can say something along the lines of, "look, we tried...nobody bit. Let's just get off-the-shelf USPs."

I missed the bit about the chrome bore and barrel, that really does make me think P99.

We are diminished
    There has been a certain contingent within the Canadian government that suffers from a major man-crush when it comes to the P99. I don't know enough about Canadian procurement laws & regs, but in the U.S. this would never make it to the formal RFP stage.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    There has been a certain contingent within the Canadian government that suffers from a major man-crush when it comes to the P99. I don't know enough about Canadian procurement laws & regs, but in the U.S. this would never make it to the formal RFP stage.
    To be fair, the 9mm P99 may well have been an improvement over selecting the Beretta PX4.

We are diminished
    I don't know... the Canadian mallet manufacturing industry really loves PX4s.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    You know what they say...when all you have is a mallet, everything looks like a PX4.

I didn't know that part of our government was known for its fascination with the P99. The only people I can think of seeing them on were the Montreal city police, I think, although that was a few years ago and I am not 100% on that.

But the country is definitely known for giving in to the whims of the french.

We are diminished
    I don't remember all the details, but when Montreal got the P99s I was at Beretta and it was a big deal because the whole procurement was basically forced through with no one else having a reasonable chance of winning. It was pretty blatant as I recall and our representative in Canada was up in arms about it.

I want to say part of the justification or influence came from someone at a national government level, but it was so long ago I couldn't say for sure because I don't recall the details. I may look to see if I still have any old files from back then.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I am not an insider. As a matter of fact, I am so far outside, I'm outside the herbaceous border; I can't even see the windows from here. But when I read a requirement like this, I'm reminded of the FBI's request for a SWAT pistol that didn't say "1911", but required an S&A magwell...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List