Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Beginning Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Unfortunately, the exact opposite has been true in my experience. I think in all the years I've been in school, I've had exactly two groups where everyone pulled their weights equally. And one of those groups was just myself, and one other person. It usually breaks down that one or two members will really know their stuff, and whoever's left will just coast along on the other's backs.

I might could give exercises to be done in groups in class though....
    I won't argue that point. Believe it or not though, the ones that don't pull their wait still get something out of it. The students that do the majority of the work will learn even more. Include a self evaluation and a group evaluation at the end of the project. You'll be surprised at how honest the evaluations will be even from the dead loads. If any of the work is done in class you'll know quickly who knows what they are doing and who doesn't.

I also seem to remember that three people was found to be the optimal group size.

Site Supporter
    If our OP is concerned with finishing his dissertation, setting up a set of group projects might add complexity and problems to the courses. Like herding cats, to be blunt - as I said before, avoid things that could be trouble.

I've run groups but I was a full tenured prof - as a young one, take it easy on yourself. Teaching can eat up your time and your strategic goal is the degree. Teaching experimentation can wait until you are settled somewhere.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I can't agree more about not dinging people for getting to the right answer the "wrong" way.
    Yeah, that sort of thing is always irritated me.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    If our OP is concerned with finishing his dissertation, setting up a set of group projects might add complexity and problems to the courses. Like herding cats, to be blunt - as I said before, avoid things that could be trouble.
    And that's also an excellent point. This time out is going to have to be streamlined on my account whether that's the best way of doing things or not, I'm afraid.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Taught college since 1977 full time and just retired. Seen it all. New profs or grad students have to set strategic career goals as first priority. If you don't - read the Chronicle of Higher Ed. and Vitae for tips on surviving the experience.

Vending Machine Operator
    Necro'ing this thread for some pointers on pitfalls to avoid in online instruction.

I am teaching my first college class this year. 30 kids, state university, sophomore criminal law online course. I’ve taught community college but this is my first university position.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 08-15-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Disregard, realized I was answering the wrong question.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-15-2018 at 01:53 PM.

I haven't taught a course exclusively online, just with various online components (e.g., grading system, assignment submission, et cetera). I think maybe the only thing I can offer is to make sure that you and the students understand the minutia of using the various systems. What we use (primarily Blackboard) is about as intuitive as quantum mechanics and it's really easy to miss features that can make everyone's life a lot easier.

What's the format of the class? Self study, live Q&A, recorded lecture...?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I haven't taught a course exclusively online, just with various online components (e.g., grading system, assignment submission, et cetera). I think maybe the only thing I can offer is to make sure that you and the students understand the minutia of using the various systems. What we use (primarily Blackboard) is about as intuitive as quantum mechanics and it's really easy to miss features that can make everyone's life a lot easier.

What's the format of the class? Self study, live Q&A, recorded lecture...?
    Getting used to the online system has been a nightmare, and I am pretty tech savvy, so I am anticipating the early issues will be helping students navigate that.

Recorded lecture, online discussion component, assigned textbook readings, and submitted assignments.

Frankly I'd much prefer an in-person Socratic teaching style, as law school showed me that's very effective at teaching the lesson and student accountability, but this online course is a step-stone up from community college classes and hopefully this will be a step-stone to in-person university-level lecturing.

To be bluntly honest, I am planning this as a possible new career, as legal practice is not remotely enjoyable as I near the 5-year mark. I've tried prosecuting, defense, and family law, and while prosecuting was by far the best they are all just a high pressure paperwork slog.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 08-15-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I might also recommend making assignments due during times of day when you're actually available to answer last minute questions via e-mail or whatever. When I have students submit things online, I usually make the cutoff time "end of day" (which is 11:59pm, in Blackboard). A lot of students naturally assume that I'll be available to answer their panicked e-mail at 11:58pm....

And students will wait until the literal last second to turn things in. This is another actual screen shot of an e-mail I received in Spring '18:

Name:  due_date.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  15.1 KB

Again, that's an actual e-mail.

I need to start a Coterie Club thread and share the various... "odd" things I get from students.

Name:  bad_email_4.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  5.2 KB

User Tag List