Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Beginning Teachers

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Tips for Beginning Teachers

I’m teaching, formally, for the very first time in the fall. While it’s really not that big of a deal (first semester sophomore class covering object-oriented programming with Java, which I’ve been using for almost a decade), transitioning to the other side of the lectern has got me thinking.

I’ve got two major concerns going in, the first being time management. I’ve got a perfectionist streak that I’m going to have to quash, as my primary focus has got to be on completing my dissertation, and wrapping up my PhD. That kind of sucks, as I’d like to give my full attention to the course materials, and trying to put on a good a class as possible.

The other concern is running afoul of social justice warriors. While I’m in the engineering department, where we spend exactly zero time talking about our feels, the SJW thing is getting out of control. Students at Harvard Law began to raise a stink over teaching rape law, because discussing sexual assault is, you know... disconcerting. Students in the University of California system have even taken simple statements such as, "America is the land of opportunity," and, "I believe the most qualified person should get the job" as being offensive. No, really.

I'm hoping the topic of a paradigm of software engineering, and an objective discussion of a programming language, will steer clear of any of that nonsense. But still, someone may object to discussing "SQL injections" because "injections" evokes the specter of vaccinations, which we all know are dangerous and evil. Or discussing the Swing toolkit for Java, because "swing" refers to "swing dancing", and dancing is a microagression.

Those things aside, beginning teachers make mistakes resulting from inexperience and naivete. There are a lot of instructors around here in all sorts of different disciplines, and I’m curious to hear your experiences of the first time you were formally in charge of teaching of something. What did the good idea fairy bring you that you later regretted? What were some of the things you avoided doing that you probably should have? What are the cardinal rules you assembled for yourself, and now adhere to?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I'm not a teacher.

But I did graduate last year from a proudly liberal university that seems to cater to the whiny SJW types. My areas of study were primarily STEM stuff, along with a good amount of social science stuff that "encourages discussion." In the latter areas, I heard many eye-rolling statements but I've never heard anybody say anything about "triggers" or any other such garbage. Outside of Touchy-Feely Nonsense (TFN) fields I think you'll do just fine. The exceptions don't disprove the rule; they are highlighted because ratings/pageviews.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Doing something very well and teaching that something are two completely separate things.

I am interested in any discussion.

Cookie Monster

Site Supporter
    Don't take it personally when students do not listen and don't do what they were supposed to do. Just grade them fairly.

Do not listen to personal tales of woes or personal problems. Don't get involved - refer them to the appropriate counseling center or dean. Be sure you understand your Title IX procedures if one mentions an issue of sexual assault or whatever. Be sure you understand the procedures for learning disability accommodations. Some will have real problems outside your realm and some will try to con you.

Do not crack jokes about gender, race, etc. Don't even broach those subjects.

Have a clear outline, deadlines, descriptions of requirements, problems, etc. Give it to them in paper and on line.

Don't overwhelm them with computer esoterica that you find interesting, cover solid basics and make sure they learn and practice them. Studies show that testing aids in mastering material, so just don't have one big midterm, final and project. Have distributed testing and HW.

Don't get so involved in minute details that you divert from your degree as you mentioned.

This is contrary to being hard line but young teachers sometimes become grading monsters or softees. Do neither. If you have to err, be gentler. I've seen student revolts against martinet TAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Some will have real problems outside your realm and some will try to con you.
    The con thing I'm mildly concerned about. I'm proud to say my grandmother never died during the semester, so that's something I don't have experience with.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    "I overslept and missed the test" - real or con?

Ask for printed documentation of medical issues and deaths. Put that on the syllabus. I said other excuses, if I chose to believe them, may be accepted but you drop two grade levels on the exam or project that is taken late. Does the school have an official misconduct policy? Attendance policy? Put all in the syllabus.

Oh - if you tangle with a misbehaving or slacker athlete, expect the administration to side with the athlete. Same for upscale kids with dough. Know your Ferpa regs and sexual harassment policies. Many schools have mandatory training on such.

This isn't the 70's, students may be attractive - pass on it. Never talk to a student with the door closed. If a student seems threatening, find out the school's mechanism and report it.

As far a teaching methods, I'm not a CS type, but I did teach Fortran years ago - ha! There are probably websites with such. Many folks have posted PPTs and exercises for common material that you can find with Google or professional organization website. No use to reinvent the wheel. Be sure to credit what you use. Does the ACM or IEEE have such?

There's probably tons of Java stuff out there.

PS - I need to add this story that I just remembered about a CS teaching assistant. Even though I was a psychologist I took some grad CS courses. One was Machine Architecture and Assembly Languages. This was during VietNam days. I was paired on a project with a vet just back from the war. He had the giant beard and always wore his military jacket. We were having trouble making something work. Thus, we went to the prof for help. We weren't controlling some registers correctly it seemed. As we talked to the prof, a TA - fat, archetype of geek - said, YOU call yourself CS students - how lame. Quite the geek sneer.

Vet turns and picks up the Geek by his shirt and holds him against the wall. Says - I didn't come back from the jungle to take crap from a poopy (ha) like you. Geek flops in place for a bit. I say to my partner - you can let him down the Prof will probably help us. And the prof did very nicely. As we left, vet turns to geek and says - I will find your car and blow you up. He didn't.

This the truth. Returning vets were interesting. We had one grad student who had a motorcycle and wore leathers with a swagger, cigarette dripping from his lip with disdain. A vet (who was later my best man), walked up, took the cigarette and put it out on the leather vest and said - How's about that? Motorcycle dude just had a wan grin and stood there.

Some time I will share the story of the wife chasing the prof around the building with the family 30-30 as he was 'involved' with his TA.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 08-14-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    No use to reinvent the wheel. Be sure to credit what you use. Does the ACM or IEEE have such? There's probably tons of Java stuff out there.
    Fortunately, some of the prior instructors have expressed willingness to share lecture materials with me, which should keep me having to start from scratch. Now adays, with things like MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and sites like Stack Overflow, students have it pretty easy with regards to languages. It's going to be interesting to see what happens to computer science in the next few decades, as it's just so easy to teach yourself without formal schooling.

Not many veterans around in the department, as least as far as I'm aware. I've maybe met three. I don't even think it's legal to ask about veteran status, unfortunately.

I know very little about programming but there are a few universal things about teaching.

Focus more on getting students to solve problems than on the "right" or "wrong" way to do things. Give students (I don't know your class numbers so this might be difficult) the opportunity to present how they solve the problems you posed.

Set high expectations ahead of time and stick to them. For each class, let students know what the goals and objectives are for that day. Also do this for each new lesson/section/unit, however you split up your classes. Look for a book titled "Essential Question". I can find a link for it if you want to ask here or offline. It does a great job of helping you put together the scope of a class and creating higher level thinking in your students.

Give opportunities for collaborative work. I think it was a professor at Harvard that has proven that collaboration results in higher level thinking than any other type of instruction.

Be approachable and take a genuine professional interest in your students. Let them know who you are, likes, dislikes, experiences. Let them feel like they know you and who you are. You don't have to give up personal information but you have to figure out a way to connect with your students even at the college level.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes and then own up, give credit to others, when you make a mistake. You don't always have to be the sage on the stage.

Teaching is an art not a science. It's a lot more challenging than most people think but it can also be very rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Give students (I don't know your class numbers so this might be difficult) the opportunity to present how they solve the problems you posed.
    I would like to, but it's a fairly large class (55).

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Give opportunities for collaborative work. I think it was a professor at Harvard that has proven that collaboration results in higher level thinking than any other type of instruction.
    Unfortunately, the exact opposite has been true in my experience. I think in all the years I've been in school, I've had exactly two groups where everyone pulled their weights equally. And one of those groups was just myself, and one other person. It usually breaks down that one or two members will really know their stuff, and whoever's left will just coast along on the other's backs.

I might could give exercises to be done in groups in class though....

I can't agree more about not dinging people for getting to the right answer the "wrong" way.
    I gave up on math in middle school years due to this. Always tested in the top 3 in class, always got bashed on the HW. Wasn't any better in college, except for one prof. I took an Econ class I technically shouldn't have. After I got hit on my first couple HW, I pulled Doc Yusef aside and asked him why. His response was a combo of not showing my work, doing it other than the way instructed. We had a long talk about brains being different and he asked me to prove I could get consistent results my way; I did. No more marks off on the HW. He asked me to take a class 2 levels higher than I was pre-reqd for the next semester.

There are lots of smart people that get screwed by the system telling them there is only one way to get to X. Try not to perpetuate that nonsense.

Collaborative opportunities are not the same as group projects. Collaboration cannot work under coercion. Or the above issue of 1-2 squared away people carrying a group and being pissed about it happens.

My suggestion would be to have a project that MAY be done as a group, set a limit on the number of members, and let folks choose to do it themselves. Maybe a system where if done as a group, the finished project accounts for 80% of that grade and the other 20% comes from an individuals documented work on that project.

Just some thoughts!

User Tag List