Thread: Modifying a kydex holster

Modifying a kydex holster

So a while back I had a guy create an AIWB holster for me for my G19. It was a strut design and did not work well for me for various reasons including my body type. I have since realized that I need a lot of extra length to make AIWB comfy for me. I also now know that I prefer a low profile clip instead of soft loops. The maker was kind enough to make me a G34 holster with a straight drop clip even though it was not an AIWB holster. I figured it was close to what I needed and I could modify it if necessary. I tried the holster enough to know that it is comfortable and well made but it definitely needs some adjustments to conceal well for me. I figured this would be a fun little project. I have never made my own holsters but I do like working with plastic and tinkering with this stuff.

Here is the holster. Well made and boy do I love Coyote Brown.

Things I am going to attempt to change:
    1. Remove unnecessary material and extra retention screw.
    2. Ride height is super low. Form new attachment bumps for higher ride.
    3. Add wedge for grip tuck. I don't think I will for the kydex for this. Probably just glue or tape something on top of the trigger guard area of the holster. We'll see.
    4. Increase retention at the trigger guard.

So I just got done grinding off the extra material and screw hole. Looks better already. I still need to smooth out the edges where I ground the material off.

I need a heat gun for the rest of the mods so I am going to borrow one from work. Let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for forming some new belt attachment bosses.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    So a while back I had a guy create an AIWB holster for me for my G19. It was a strut design and did not work well for me for various reasons including my body type. I have since realized that I need a lot of extra length to make AIWB comfy for me. I also now know that I prefer a low profile clip instead of soft loops. The maker was kind enough to make me a G34 holster with a straight drop clip even though it was not an AIWB holster. I figured it was close to what I needed and I could modify it if necessary. I tried the holster enough to know that it is comfortable and well made but it definitely needs some adjustments to conceal well for me. I figured this would be a fun little project. I have never made my own holsters but I do like working with plastic and tinkering with this stuff.

Here is the holster. Well made and boy do I love Coyote Brown.

Things I am going to attempt to change:
    1. Remove unnecessary material and extra retention screw.
    2. Ride height is super low. Form new attachment bumps for higher ride.
    3. Add wedge for grip tuck. I don't think I will for the kydex for this. Probably just glue or tape something on top of the trigger guard area of the holster. We'll see.
    4. Increase retention at the trigger guard.

So I just got done grinding off the extra material and screw hole. Looks better already. I still need to smooth out the edges where I ground the material off.

I need a heat gun for the rest of the mods so I am going to borrow one from work. Let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for forming some new belt attachment bosses.
    As much as I love to mod my gear, I would just call Tony at JMcustomkydex or another aiwb holster maker and have them make you a "real" aiwb holster. I have tried to mod many non-aiwb holsters to aiwb, none have worked as well as Tony's dedicated aiwb holsters. You will get frustrated, spend more time,money and order a dedicated aiwb later anyway...
    The edge you ground off will be extremely uncomfortable against your inner thigh and the clip will need to be relocated to the right (closer to the grip) in order for the holster to conceal well.
    Last edited by DI1; 08-11-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Not enough material to change the boss and since there are holes it will be uggo.

You can however get by with adding layers and stacking them.

At one point I had an additive wedge that I never moved forward with...

You have the room with what's existing to go that route pretty easily.
    Last edited by orionz06; 08-11-2015 at 06:41 PM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
    As much as I love to mod my gear, I would just call Tony at JMcustomkydex or another aiwb holster maker and have them make you a "real" aiwb holster. I have tried to mod many non-aiwb holsters to aiwb, none have worked as well as Tony's dedicated aiwb holsters. You will get frustrated, spend more time,money and order a dedicated aiwb later anyway...
    The edge you ground off will be extremely uncomfortable against your inner thigh and the clip will need to be relocated to the right (closer to the grip) in order for the holster to conceal well.
    I totally get what you are saying. I am planning to order a George from JMCK in the near future. This holster is in no way close to the craftsmanship of JMCK or DSG. I just like to tinker with this kind of stuff.

The sharp edge where I ground off material will be smoothed out and polished. However, it is already more comfy now that I removed some material.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Not enough material to change the boss and since there are holes it will be uggo.

You can however get by with adding layers and stacking them.

At one point I had an additive wedge that I never moved forward with...

You have the room with what's existing to go that route pretty easily.
    Thanks for the ideas. That seems like just the ticket.

Tom,

What thickness of kydex do you recommend for this?

Thanks!

Depends... The large boss should probably be 0.125 or doubled up 0.080"... The forces when one bends, walks, or moves can be pretty great so it will need to be a little robust. Some of that depends on what you actually make and how it is loaded though.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I threw caution to the wind and got out the heatgun and shaped a new area to attach the clip. It was actually kinda fun. Kydex is a nice material to work with. I will post some pictures when I get a chance. Tom was right, it is uggo with the holes that were already there but the ride is now a little higher and that is what I wanted. Now I need to figure out a wedge. I think I am going to do a strut something like the Fricke BTA.

If you're going through all that trouble, you might as well make your own from scratch.

Yea I've thought about getting the tools and materials and trying my hand at pressing some kydex. Maybe next year.

User Tag List