Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Production Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I agree with this; I'd like to see it even less forgiving. The hero-or-zero thing that current classification process promotes is pretty much the only thing that consistently annoys me in this sport.
    What would you change?

The danger of "sliding" classifications is monsters shooters who would "under classify" then eat folks in lower brackets alive - not that there's much of a payout or etc...

I would like to see all classifier scores count towards the rating without throwing out any runs.

I agree with this; I'd like to see it even less forgiving. The hero-or-zero thing that current classification process promotes is pretty much the only thing that consistently annoys me in this sport.
    This used to bother me too, but listening to the practical pistol show discussion on the topic made me realize that the people doing so are really just screwing themselves. If I was to go balls out repeatedly on classifieds and get myself and "M" card by luck, I'd be getting last place at every match I attended in that division.

I would like to see all classifier scores count towards the rating without throwing out any runs.
    THAT would shake things up a little and eliminate the "I pulled that shot/flubbed that reload so I'm going to hit the no shoot a couple times to zero my score" approach.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    What would you change?

The danger of "sliding" classifications is monsters shooters who would "under classify" then eat folks in lower brackets alive - not that there's much of a payout or etc...
    Match bumps should take care of that. Other sports, like sporting clays, have them just for that reason.

Right now, USPSA requires on demand performance in matches, and peak performance in the classifier system.

If you were going to count all classifier scores, not sure how you would handle historical classifications for shooters under the current system. It would be a massive undertaking to refigure class thresholds.

Right now some shooters are over classified and other shooters are under classified. The question is would that be any different under an "all scores count" system?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Match bumps should take care of that. Other sports, like sporting clays, have them just for that reason.
    Not really. The under-classified shooter would still easily win at least the match where they are getting the bump, and then would potentially be bumped back down the next time they shoot a classifier poorly. Because many USPSA classifier stages have relatively few points available and very high hit factors (at least compared to a normal USPSA stage), one Mike or no shoot can easily lead to a very low score. The current classification system actually seems to work very well if you look at major match results. IDPA doesn't bump shooters down either for bad classifier performance, but no one talks about the IDPA classifier as being a "hero or zero" shooting test.

I would like to see the entire classification system dumped. Shoot heads up, dog eat dog. That's the way Steel Challenge was before USPSA got involved. Divisions? Sure thing. Classifications? Nah.
    Last edited by rwa; 08-21-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Right now some shooters are over classified and other shooters are under classified. The question is would that be any different under an "all scores count" system?
    Yes, it will bring the classification down towards shooter's mean score and therefore will decrease the number of overqualified shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

If you were going to count all classifier scores, not sure how you would handle historical classifications for shooters under the current system. It would be a massive undertaking to refigure class thresholds.
    You don't change class thresholds. To handle historical classifications, you introduce another devilish provision: a shooter can go down in class according to his/her current performance. People will reclassify themselves in one year by simply shooting classifiers as they normally do when they shoot matches.

On a big scheme, I don't care as much, Rob's right that over classified peeps are just screwing themselves, and Josh is right about current classification generally correlating. I was just commenting on a couple things that would make the classification more accurate, just in my opinion.

User Tag List