Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Production Nationals

2015 Production Nationals

Congrats to Ben Stoeger for winning his 5th consecutive USPSA Production Nationals! Bob Vogel won 2nd place and Nils Jonasson won third.

The field was steep this year with Bob Vogel, Nils Jonasson, Max Michel, Rob Leatham, JJ Racaza and Alex Gutt.

Ben edged out the win by 1.64 match points.

Site Supporter
    That's a huge talent pool...pretty telling that the winning scores were that close. Many congratulations due to Ben, Bob, and Nils. I suspect we'll see a lot more of Alex Gutt in the coming years.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I know we don't talk about it as much on here as other forums, but it was also nice to see the top three so close with Ben shooting his Tanfo and Bob and Nils shooting a G34. Goes to show that it's the Indian, not the arrow. Nils would have won if he hadn't more or less tanked the last stage (his last stage of the match). It was also telling that Ben didn't win a single stage and only had one stage where he did relatively bad. He shot very consistent and ended up shooting ~94% of the points.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    Nils would have won if he hadn't more or less tanked the last stage
    I don't think this is that fair. Ben would've had more points of separation if he didn't nearly tank stage 10. What Nils lost on #20 was within 10 points of what Ben lost on #10.

It was also telling that Ben didn't win a single stage and only had one stage where he did relatively bad. He shot very consistent and ended up shooting ~94% of the points.
    To me, as a relatively new competitor and just a general shooter, this was the biggest lesson. USPSA is often portrayed as run and gun game, owing to a stupid (just my opinion) classification system. This match shows very clearly that consitency on demand is what matters the most.

I am glad to see the TGO doing fairly well against the young guns.
    Last edited by YVK; 08-09-2015 at 09:57 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Nils would have won if he hadn't more or less tanked the last stage.
    If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt on boulders.

It was also telling that Ben didn't win a single stage and only had one stage where he did relatively bad. He shot very consistent and ended up shooting ~94% of the points.
    This is important right here. Having shot the match myself, with the amount of extremely tight (read risky) no shoot shots, to shoot those points with Ben's times is very, very impressive. I only managed ~90% of the points, and was definitely slower.

Congratulations on your own excellent placement Talionis!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I don't think this is that fair. Ben would've had more points of separation if he didn't nearly tank stage 10. What Nils lost on #20 was within 10 points of what Ben lost on #10.
    That's fair, I had to go back and look at the amount of points lost per stage and you are correct. Not trying to take anything away from Ben, he had an excellent match.

To me, as a relatively new competitor and just a general shooter, this was the biggest lesson. USPSA is often portrayed as run and gun game, owing to a stupid (just my opinion) classification system. This match shows very clearly that consitency on demand is what matters the most.
    Yes, Ben has talked about that in his podcasts several times. Going hero or zero is a surefire way to lose the match. Reminds me of the first time Sebastian Vettel won his first Formula 1 driver's championship, he didn't win a race until the very end of the season, but won the championship because he was consistently near the top.

I am glad to see the TGO doing fairly well against the young guns.
    Agreed, he has been up there for the last several years. Not bad for a dude with a double knee replacement having to move around field courses.

I know we don't talk about it as much on here as other forums, but it was also nice to see the top three so close with Ben shooting his Tanfo and Bob and Nils shooting a G34. Goes to show that it's the Indian, not the arrow. Nils would have won if he hadn't more or less tanked the last stage (his last stage of the match). It was also telling that Ben didn't win a single stage and only had one stage where he did relatively bad. He shot very consistent and ended up shooting ~94% of the points.
    I'm very curious is there is any more back story to the short and sweet FB post Ben put up last week to the effect "looks like I'm getting a Sig 320".
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List