Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Cleaning during Action Pistol in the Rain

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    It's not always 1911/2011 shooters. There's a bay at my local club that's full of fine sand, and I only had to learn my lesson there once. If it hasn't rained within a day or two prior to the match, then after that bay, I clean my mags, because I had one jam up and fail to feed on the next stage once, and sure enough, it was full of sand and grit. (I shoot a Walther.) All it takes is a quick disassembly and pulling a paper towel through, and they're good to go. That brush GJM linked looks like a slick solution, though.
    Sounds like a potential application for a can of that compressed air for dusting computers.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    What was it called? Or better yet, link to it. $3 sounds like a bargain.
    Sorry, Home Depot. Maker is "Libman":

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Libman-Bo...h-39/203947431

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Sorry, Home Depot. Maker is "Libman":

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Libman-Bo...h-39/203947431
    Looks like this one should be called the "IDPA" model, and the Arredondo, the "USPSA" model.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Looks like this one should be called the "IDPA" model, and the Arredondo, the "USPSA" model.
    I found the "Uncle Mike's Sausage Sack" model, $1.09 at a local flea market.

Banned
    There was also a Glock 19 that FTF
    No.

Glocks do not malfunction. Ever. They are the Chuck Norris of guns. You could soak a Glock in Gorilla Glue and roll it in sand and it would continue to function flawlessly.

Clearly this was a case of operator error

I found the "Uncle Mike's Sausage Sack" model, $1.09 at a local flea market.

Good photos; you're on it. I'm picking up my P30SK this morning; gonna start learning it. I hate to have to drop another smaller size, but... times change. I intend to use P30 mags for 15 round extras, so no doubt I'll have to mess around with getting enough extra spacing between the base pads and where it meets the grip bottom. That one on the P30SK is definitely different from the USPc and the P2000. No problem, just some work.

dunk in shallow puddle, agitate, remove, and shake vigorously? they're H&K mags after all
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I use a VP9 at sandy USPSA matches all the time. Just bring something to open up the mags (I use my multitool but anything works) and a spare toothbrush. Those big brushes work a little better but I'm cheap.

As far as a count I'd say bring 6. That gives me one spare in USPSA, and should be plenty for a class. I can't imagine only having 4 for a class, but I never want to be the guy slowing a class down.

I will clean them after any stage if they need them, but that's just me. It's quick and I'd hate to have a really crusty magazine be the cause for a stage failure. Usually if they're just a little dusty and rounds aren't getting clogged with sand I'll leave them though, a little speed dust isn't the end of the world.
    Last edited by Peally; 01-19-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    dunk in shallow puddle, agitate, remove, and shake vigorously? they're H&K mags after all

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I see people (always 1911 shooters) doing this between stages at USPSA matches all of the time. I would leave the mags dry.
    Guys do it with most mags.

I was once fortunate enough to be squadded with Vogeltron at a match. If his mag touched the ground it got broken down and cleaned. These were obviously GLOCK mags.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

User Tag List