Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice With Shooting-Specific Strength Training

Site Supporter
    As someone who has also had major joint surgery, I would second what Little Creek said. I would try something a little more specific to your goal, such as holding drills. As part of dry fire, set up a good firing position and attempt to hold with no/minimal sight disturbance. Build up to a minute or minute and a half at a time. You can work two and one handed. An added bonus is you get some really good work on front sight focus as well.

Didn't you report problems with holding a pistol (weighing what, less than 3 lbs) at arm's distance? I'd be really cautious about trying it with heavier weights. You don't need a strength workout, you need a rehabilitation workout. I'd talk to my physical therapist. He's almost certainly worked with this issue before. It is not uncommon.

If for some reason you just can't talk to your PT, I'd do very gentle shoulder lifting: a push and a pull. Neither would even approach a strenuous workout. I'd do light rows for the "pull" (this is supposed to be rehabilitative, so start out with a pink weight, or even an unopened can of light beer. Seriously.) combined with a "loaded carry" (Google), which is technically a "push". A carry approaches a full body workout (depending on the weight used), with specific emphasis on core, upper back, and shoulders. You will not use the can of Bud Light you used for the rows (think more along the lines of a full six-pack), but it still won't be strenuous. You can do these two exercises several times a day, if you go light enough. In combination they will work the entire shoulder.

Remember, this is supposed to be rehabilitative. Don't get macho on me, even if the girls are looking.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 08-09-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Warren, I would suggest following the Diesel Crew Shoulder Rehab Protocol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec

I would suggest NOT following a strength program at this time. Give it time, and use light weights to enhance your healing ability.

Experience: Professionally Ranked MMA Fighter, Powerlifting

Thanks for all the responses so far. There's a lot of good info there.

How about a personal trainer at a local gym. Perhaps they could put together a program to address your specific needs. Aside from that I would be working on general fitness and endurance. Make sure you work on your core. some really good stuff here: http://functionalresistancetraining....ane/transverse

Also it sounds like you could benefit from some grip strength training. Captains of Crush grippers are very good. The Grip Pro Trainers are good too and are easier to get started with.

Thanks everyone. I'm going with lighter weight and more reps with more emphasis on core and grip strength. I'll be using the same exercises the therapist gave me along with some typical shoulder stuff and some of the suggestions above. I'm also doing the holding exercises with the gun I'm taking to school. If I don't see some improvement in the next few weeks, I'll call my physical therapist and ask for some recommendations.

Thanks again. I probably needed someone to yank the reins before I overdid it.

Site Supporter
    I would be very careful with any insanity, P90x or crossfit routines. A rehab protocol is Completely different than an actual workout. Lookup Kelly Starrett Supple Leopard or Dan John programs. Also Dr Eric Goodman foundation training.A Lacrosse ball, floss bands,and Strength bands will become your friends. Supplement wise look at a good multi-vitamin, the best on the market is Flintstone Vitamins for kids.... I kid you not. Stay away from any high dosage multivitamin like centrum. Be careful with any bench press movement, personally I would not do any bench press movements. Stick to overhead work and lots of back work. The majority of you shoulder is supported by your Deltoids and Back muscles ( Traps, Lats, Rhomboids) not your pecs.

Due your due diligence with anything rehabrelated from your Doctor or PT. Remember your PT is only there to get you back to normal functioning ability, that's a very low bar for physical rehab. Try an locate a sport specific PT, one who works with a lot of Golf or Baseball players. They have the most experience with shoulder injuries.

Just a little background info on me...
    Crossfit level 2 instructor, oly instructor , Basic Barbell cert through Mark Rippitoe, KB instructor, worked with Kelly Starrett and Dr Eric Goodman.

I'm also personnel trainer for my 600+ man FD and own a private gym.

Hope this helps

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

Lots of of free info and vids here, and are all designed to get your body performing as well as possible. Simple solutions, and generally with little to minimal equipment needed (personally, I cannot function without his Voodoo Floss bands that Craig turned me onto).

Site Supporter
    The voodoo floss bands are great tools, I thought they were BS until I tried them for myself. Try the couch stretch next time, it's painful at first but the rewards are huge. Foundation Training really saved my surfing ability, great lead up to long term surf trips.

I really like Dan John philosophy on training for certain periods in your life. DJ uses a really simplistic approach to physical ability that's easy to follow and understand. The Litvinov workout is character building workout that will turn you into a beast.

http://danjohn.net/training-for-the-busy-working-guy/

https://www.t-nation.com/training/litvinov-workout

http://www.foundationtraining.com/

Site Supporter
    Lots of really good info in this thread...I love seeing the results from performance ATC's and PT's with strong Kinesiology backgrounds.

User Tag List