Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice With Shooting-Specific Strength Training

Advice With Shooting-Specific Strength Training

I had Ulnar nerve surgery on my left elbow and rotator cuff/labrum surgery on my right shoulder in July '13 and February '14; respectively. I can't believe how long it's taking to recover. I've done my physical therapy like I was supposed to do. A few month ago, I started lifting again and doing shoulder workouts. I can't do heavy weights, because my shoulder gets angry and the numbness in my left hand makes me nervous about holding too much weight. Even after working on it for a while, if I shoot more than a 100 rounds or just do holster work or dry firing for more than an hour, I get extremely fatigued. I attended a three day class a few months ago and did really well for a while, but really faltered on the third day.

Recently, I was chosen to go to firearms instructor school for my department and had to shoot a 480 on PPC on Friday to be accepted by the state (it takes a 540 to pass the course, but it's not until November). I shot a 509 on my first attempt. I followed that up with a 478 and deteriorated from there. I went to work on my weak hand shooting at the 50 yard barricade and could not get a single round on the paper. I was just shaking too much.

I've been doing shoulder work, but it's obviously not helping. Any advice?

I guess the primary thing would be doing your PT still so that you recover, but I remember reading about some lady that would hold her milk jug up shoulder height in front of her each morning while eating breakfast. Perhaps doing static endurance type work would help. Full disclosure - I'm a noob at shooting and not a PT/doctor, so I may be totally off base here....

How much stretching are you doing?

I'm only doing the stretching they taught me in physical training. Could you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
    I'm only doing the stretching they taught me in physical training. Could you elaborate?
    if you are weightlifting again and still having fatigue issues/shaking I would recommend two things. A well rounded weight lifting program of high intensity (I like to do body split days such as back and chest). A good way to increase intensity is to super set, for example do bench press and right after do lat pull with minimal break. Rest between sets but do the next exercise after the first (bench press, walk over do lat pull down, and then rest for a minute and repeat). I would pair this with high reps and low weight because of your issue, especially for your shoulder. I would then dedicate one day of exercise to a short run to warm up your body and then do a thorough and long stretching session. A quick search brought up different stretching routines and honestly any of them will work. Start out slow and build up, there is no rush. I use a notebook to document progress and take notes about anything I notice (pain or strength increase). Are you taking any supplements to help with recovery?

That's very much appreciated. What supplements would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I guess the primary thing would be doing your PT still so that you recover, but I remember reading about some lady that would hold her milk jug up shoulder height in front of her each morning while eating breakfast. Perhaps doing static endurance type work would help. Full disclosure - I'm a noob at shooting and not a PT/doctor, so I may be totally off base here....
    I was thinking of holding a five pound DB in my shooting stance from each side for as long as I can for three or four sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
    That's very much appreciated. What supplements would you recommend?
    Whey protein will do wonders for recovery. I use synthasix because it's tastes good and it's fairly priced on Amazon

For the past few months, I have been doing functional movement / core training. Similar to "Insanity" workouts. Shaking the heavy rope and jumping rope with the heavy rope really kicks my ass, and the trainer usually dials up another pushing and then pulling exercise as well. I feel like I have made good hand, arm and shoulder strength gains. Not sure how much those exercises would stress your previous injuries though...

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    For the past few months, I have been doing functional movement / core training. Similar to "Insanity" workouts. Shaking the heavy rope and jumping rope with the heavy rope really kicks my ass, and the trainer usually dials up another pushing and then pulling exercise as well. I feel like I have made good hand, arm and shoulder strength gains. Not sure how much those exercises would stress your previous injuries though...
    As someone who has recovered from shoulder repair and knee repair, I can tell you it takes more than a year to recover. Please beware of doing too much too fast and reinjureing yourself.

User Tag List