Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 40 cal and glocks

Quote Originally Posted by Colt191145lover View Post
    OK, on a scale at work the Glock 34 slide weighed 13 oz and the 17 slide was 12 3/4 . I don't think that extreme minor difference means much...
    IIRC, the slide on the Gen 3 35 was almost 2 OZ heavier than the on the 22. The 34 and 17 were pretty much the same, just a slight difference. Not sure about the Gen 4 .40s. Perhaps someone with both could put them on the quality scale...........LSP972, because science?

Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    Hope this isn't too much of a thread derail....

Does anyone else get the heebie geebies from the case bulge that the .40 Glocks seem to produce?
    Yes
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

While I prefer the gen 3 9mms to the gen 4, if I was going to be running a .40 and it had to be a Glock I'd go with the gen 4
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    ... but i hear that wrong coast agencies are. I suspect that much of that has to do with their rediculous laws that require green ammo.
    With both our Gen 3 .40s, the guns ran fine with frangible ammunition on our "lead-free" indoor range. The issues appeared with duty and "real" training ammunition. The problems were severe enough, even with remediation, that the Gen 3s were replaced with Gen 4 .40s.

With the Gen 4s, several of us started seeing extraction & ejection issues that were ultimately traced back to cases bulging in the chamber. The bulging happened regardless of ammunition the guns were being fed.

The organization transitioned to Gen 4 -17s and -19s, which replaced the -27s previously issued to detectives & admin.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Do the P2000/P30 .40 have more slide mass than the same in 9?
    We (INS) issued the USPc in .40 back in the day. We issued the 155gr JHP at about 1150-1200fps. we were told in armorers school that the slides on our issued guns were about 1.5oz heavier than civilian models to deal with problems in testing. The slide was moving fast enough to not strip a round off the mag on occasion. The solution was leaving a bit more meat on the inside of the slide. Externally, ours looked the same as the commercial guns.

Today, as far as Glock, we issued and allowed personal purchase of Glock's in 9mm but not .40. Rumor has it the 155 ammo beat the guns to pieces in testing. The reason the FBI gets away with .40 Glocks is they issue .40 in the 950-1000 fps range. The gun seems to run fine with their ammo.

I personally have owned 4 Glocks in .40... I saw cracked and broken locking block pins in the gen 3s. Changing the recoil spring ever 3k rounds helped keep them running. My gen 4 has run without issue with 155. But I admit I rarely shoot it anymore as I carry a 17 on duty now.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    With both our Gen 3 .40s, the guns ran fine with frangible ammunition on our "lead-free" indoor range. The issues appeared with duty and "real" training ammunition. The problems were severe enough, even with remediation, that the Gen 3s were replaced with Gen 4 .40s.

With the Gen 4s, several of us started seeing extraction & ejection issues that were ultimately traced back to cases bulging in the chamber. The bulging happened regardless of ammunition the guns were being fed.

The organization transitioned to Gen 4 -17s and -19s, which replaced the -27s previously issued to detectives & admin.
    So much for that theory. What weight and velocity ammo?

Reports I have gotten from the west coast indicate that some folks did indeed have serious issues, like breechface erosion, with the Glocks due to the lead free ammo.
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Now I only own two pistols that can shoot 40. One gun is a Glock 20SF 10mm with a 40 conversion barrel. Its considerably bigger/heavier than the standard Glock 40, but I have no concerns about its longevity. That one gets carried up in the mountains as a woods gun - often when bowhunting.

Just another data point.
    I also own a Gen3 G20 with 40S&W conversion barrel - I really like that combination. As another data point - how well has the G35 pistols held up to USPSA major loads in Limited Class? I would expect issues with 40 in G35 would show up in a high volume Limited G35?

Site Supporter
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask but here's my question.

Is the last round fail to feed from a g22 mag in a g27 caused by grip pressure on the mag or mag spring not fast enough to keep up with the slide velocity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I also own a Gen3 G20 with 40S&W conversion barrel - I really like that combination. As another data point - how well has the G35 pistols held up to USPSA major loads in Limited Class? I would expect issues with 40 in G35 would show up in a high volume Limited G35?
    Major in uspsa is quite a bit lighter than my duty load. I'm sure it doesn't stress the guns at all.

User Tag List