Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EPA eliminates the middle man, pollutes river directly

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Apparently triple the amount first estimated has been spilled
    Well, at least the EPA didn't panic and try, for example, to contain the spill immediately. My guess is that it is busy drafting its litigation papers to sue all downriver landowners demanding that they immediately clean up their now-sludge ridden properties under CERCLA.

After all, they knew the risk of living downstream from an EPA-run cleanup site.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Apparently triple the amount first estimated has been spilled
    Want to know what's really funny?
    There was no need to estimate anything.
    The USGS has a gauging station just downstream that recorded the exact amount released in real time.
    Apparently nobody in FedGov talks to anyone else, it took some locals to point out that accurate info was just a email away.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I'm glad I visited lake Powell earlier this month.

The EPA will probably hold a conference in Vegas to discuss how to handle this...probably about the same time the spillage reaches Vegas.

On an actual note Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona are potentially going to feel a real impact. Not sure of the current formula but water from Powell is sent to Meade and as such it feeds most of Nevada's water supply and a lot to California.

KSL has some stuff at this link: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=35931048&nid...s_cid=toppick1

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    If the company I work for didn't report a spill of this magnitude within 2 or 3 hours we'd be in prison.
    FIFY.

Good stuff here: EPA Is “Upset” About Three Million Gallon Animas River Spill | Power Line
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post

My guess is that they will make amends for this upsetting event by going after the downstream landowners to force them to clean up their property. After all, they now own polluted wetlands and the EPA isn't going to stand for that.

Relevant

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  47.9 KB
    #RESIST

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Saw that earlier reading The EPA Does It Again at PowerLine.
    For anyone who hasn't read it, this paragraph leaps out:
    The sediment flows carry dangerous mercury, lead, arsenic and chromium downstream to the tourist destination of Lake Oconee, which then feeds into Oconee River -- home to many federally and state protected species.
    Speaking of PowerLine, they say that the EPA Had Warning of Gold King Mine Disaster | Power Line
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List