Thread: Chemists? CLR / PB cleaning

Chemists? CLR / PB cleaning

CLR works extremely well on rimfire cans. Put 2500 rounds through my Dead Air mask. After an hour in CLR, I have lead "baffles" and the actual baffles look brand new. Question is if the remaining liquid should be treated as if it is the "dip". I have treated as such but curious if this is as dangerous as lead acetate.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    CLR works extremely well on rimfire cans. Put 2500 rounds through my Dead Air mask. After an hour in CLR, I have lead "baffles" and the actual baffles look brand new. Question is if the remaining liquid should be treated as if it is the "dip". I have treated as such but curious if this is as dangerous as lead acetate.
    Bumping this for selfish reasons as well.

Where is everyone disposing of their used CLR, lead, and carbon fluid, etc.?
    God Bless,

Brandon

ph is pretty low, so it's acidic. Fresh water rinse should be good is my thinking, but a baking soda/water solution if it puts your mind at ease.

Edit to add: Since that is titanium I would use chlorinated tap water on it. Chlorides and titanium do NOT play well together, stress corrosion cracking will develop over time. The 17-4PH pieces will be fine in the CLR or water. Not a chemist but did work with both of these materials in an aerospace finishing and NDT shop. Lots of acid and alkaline etch and process tanks...
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 09-25-2023 at 09:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    ph is pretty low, so it's acidic. Fresh water rinse should be good is my thinking, but a baking soda/water solution if it puts your mind at ease.

Edit to add: Since that is titanium I would use chlorinated tap water on it. Chlorides and titanium do NOT play well together, stress corrosion cracking will develop over time. The 17-4PH pieces will be fine in the CLR or water. Not a chemist but did work with both of these materials in an aerospace finishing and NDT shop. Lots of acid and alkaline etch and process tanks...
    So - I checked in with support months ago and the baffles / endcaps are 17-4 and the tube is titanium. I saw Aluminum mentioned in the manual and was alarmed - support confirmed there is no aluminum in the Mask.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....or-Combo/page4

I’d recommend against putting the endcaps in the ultrasonic cleaner or CLR due to their having a finish and that finish will suffer for it. If you don’t care then YOLO.

I’d recommend highly against putting the tube in the ultrasonic cleaner as apparently ultrasonic cleaners and engraving do not go well together and it could damage the serial number / registration as well as strip the finish. I could hazard a guess but - this advice comes direct from Todd Magee of Dead Air.

What my plan is for this is - 12 gauge bore mop with carbon cleaner on it to clean the tube, ultrasonic for the baffles, and then carbon cleaner / paper towels and effort for the end caps. With some playtex gloves for cleaning and disassembly.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List