Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SP101 Problem

Ruger SP101 Problem

I bought a new SP101, .357, with a 4 inch barrel and used it primarily to keep my revolver skills up by shooting it at static steel matches. I was overall very pleased with the gun. Using a rest, it would shoot 1" groups at 25 yards and the double action was accurate enough. The gun was always cleaned and oiled after each session. At 800 rounds of 38 Special, the cylinder started to lock up within 50 rounds. The last time I shot it, the cylinder froze after 9 rounds using "clean" Lawman ammo. After cleaning, the gun will dry fire without problems. The cylinder seems very close to the forcing cone and there is a lot of play in the cylinder from front to rear. The gun has been dry fired, using snap caps, extensively in the year and half since I bought it.

My dealer sent the gun back to Ruger for repairs. Just got a call from the dealer who told me that Ruger says the gun is unrepairable and they are sending a replacement. Unfortunately, Ruger didn't specify the cause of the malfunction.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? Did I just get a bad gun? Is there a specific Ruger problem?

I'm kind of bummed since I'm a revolver guy, yet I look at my automatics and see that 3 of them, including a 1911, have 3,500 rounds each on them with nary a problem. I would have bet the ranch that a revolver was more durable and dependable than an automatic.

Many people think that wheelguns are more durable and reliable than semi-auto pistols, in my experience, generally speaking, they are not.

In this case I am guessing they found a manufacturing defect they couldn't fix.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I'm just guessing obviously, but it sounds like your gun developed some excessive end-shake that couldn't be corrected by normal means. With such a low round count that might personally concern me, but a total gun replacement is about as good as it gets from a CS standpoint.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Sorry that happened but at least Ruger was awesome about it

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Sorry that happened but at least Ruger was awesome about it
    Yeah, Ruger couldn't have done better by me. The dealer didn't charge me anything for shipping, etc. either. If only I didn't live in Jersey; it will be two months until I get approved for a new permit to pick up the gun, since it has a different serial number.

Site Supporter
    They do have awesome customer policy regarding shipping. Will send a prepaid label and you call Fedex for a pickup. S&W will send a prepaid UPS label but in Richmond there is only one location that will accept a handgun at that is 40 miles roundtrip.

Unfortunately in the last 2 years, 3 of 4 Ruger revolvers that I purchased had to go back. Makes me weary of another purchase from them. My 4" .327 SP-101 wouldn't eject any empty brass except 32ACP and it spat out of the rear of the cylinder. It ejects fine now but still spits.

I'm batting .500 on new Rugers needing to go back. One of the GP100 Wiley Clapps and the Wiley Clapp SP101 both needed major fixes.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I'm batting .500 on new Rugers needing to go back. One of the GP100 Wiley Clapps and the Wiley Clapp SP101 both needed major fixes.
    Same here.

LCR was fine
    Wiley Clapp had to go back.
    Match Champion was fine.
    Redhawk .45 Auto/.45 Colt had to go back. And is still there. Two weeks and they haven't even looked at it yet because they don't have ammo to test fire it according to the woman on the phone today.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Same here.

LCR was fine
    Wiley Clapp had to go back.
    Match Champion was fine.
    Redhawk .45 Auto/.45 Colt had to go back. And is still there. Two weeks and they haven't even looked at it yet because they don't have ammo to test fire it according to the woman on the phone today.
    Don't have any ammo? Smells fishy to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Don't have any ammo? Smells fishy to me.
    Yeah, it's not a .22

You'd think they could have at least measured and made sure it was within tolerances. I sent a Sig slide back to Sig for the rear sight drifting under recoil on the same day. I got the Sig slide back yesterday. Ruger hasn't touched the gun.

So:
    1) Ruger's logistic support is so bad they ran out of ammo and haven't had any for 2 weeks.
    2) Ruger is so backlogged with work, they are looking for excuses
    3) ???

User Tag List