Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on SureFire Rapid Transition Sights

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I personally feel that a real potential exists for a "low-probablitity shot" (i.e. hostage scenario/head shot on a threat) in an HD situation; as such, I don't have a lot of love for scatterguns or using 30mm tubes as ghost rings if it can be avoided.
    This is turning into a "best HD firearm" thread, but...

If I go carbine, I'd like to go suppressed and/or SBR. However, being in the military, I'm afraid I'd move to state where one or both of those are not an option. (I'm thinking DDM4, fixed BUIS, lower 1/3 co-witness with Aimpoint PRO at this point.)

If I go shotgun, I'd go 870 with a SureFire forward grip. Maybe 20 gauge so my wife could shoot it. Ghost ring sights? Slugs/buckshot?

If I go pistol, I'd go Glock 19 with SureFire X300 or Glock GTL.

Thoughts?

ETA: Eventually, I'll probably wind up with all three.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

I would keep it simple and have the G19 with light.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    This is turning into a "best HD firearm" thread, but...
    I thought it was a BUIS and how/why you have them on your gun thread... but in post #3 you yourself did steer it in that direction so I guess I'm confused. It's your thread, so which is it then?

Yeah I did steer it that way. Now that my questions about the RTS are answered, I'm seeking advice on a good HD firearm. Should I start a new thread/rename this one?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Addressing solely the issue of the sights......

They work pretty well for their intended use. Learing to use them quickly and effeciently takes a little practice, but not too much. Though, when running a magnified optic, I still prefer to use a solid design/built quick-detach mount, with top mounted BUIS, specifically Troy Ind. When I want an up close sighting system, I have found an AimPoint T-1 in an offset mount to solve that issue much better than iron sights.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My own conclusion as a family man with a toddler is Glock in safe, Condition One. Belgian Malinois indoors, Condition One.

Any dog that alerts will do. I just like Belgian Mals and German Shepherds and know how to handle them.
    I might just keep the gun somewhere up high (like the top shelf of a book shelf, etc), in your room at night, and then during the day, either put on your EDC Gun or lock it in the safe.

At night, they'll be in their rooms, during the day, you could just put it up.

Disclaimer, I have no kids, and you also have a wife to live with, so... That argument may have a factor in it as well.

ETA: I'm also not maried.

ETA 2: I bought my first RDS about a couple of weeks back, I'd say without a doubt, the simplicity of the system, the adjustable of brightness, a red dot coupled with a flash light, would be the easiest system to work with in a house.

I'm thinking an AR SBR, with a good light, and an Aimpoint or EoTech (I like the Aimpoints for the battery life, and simplicity), I'd go with that.

I'm eyeing a PRO after the M&P.
    Last edited by BWT; 09-11-2011 at 03:53 PM.

"They" also have the 45 degree mini red dot mounts for like a Burris fast fire or Triji RMR. I would think that would be even better, faster than 45 degree irons. I forget who "they" are, I'll look. Alot of the 3-gun guys are using them these days for transitioning from far to near targets. I was thinking of a mount to a flat top receiver, not right to the scope itself but this is a kinda similar idea and could work as well.

http://www.gggaz.com/b-comp-30mm-ring.html
    Last edited by P30shtr; 09-12-2011 at 02:10 AM.

Those sights look interesting, but I would need to try before I buy. Right now my Colt has a Trijicon reflex sighted for up close and personal. That, and my HK P30.

Our mutt is in condition 3, stuck in a Serpa holster.....
    Last edited by 1986s4; 09-14-2011 at 12:45 PM.

I might get a set of these to try-out, but I really think the only real use case for these is for 3-gun where someone wants a solution for close-in targets but doesn't want to be forced to Unlimited/Open division by running a T1 or other "microdot" optic in addition to a primary magnified optic. For a "self-defense" type situation, if I was worried enough to need a faster solution for close-in targets I couldn't imagine not going with a T1/microdot.

FWIW, I have a T1 in a Larue LT-724 in addition to an ACOG TA11 and I really can't think of a better solution.

Never been LEO or .mil and never been shot-at so I'm not speaking from any kind of "experience" but the T1 kills steel plates deader-than-sh*t easily at 200yds (which is as far as I've used it). When a friend described the optic/mount it sounded really wonky but once I tried it in the Larue mount I was hooked.

Site Supporter
    One of the things I like about the RTS is that if your primary optic becomes unusable due to fog or going prone in a big mud puddle, an offset red dot would likely be unusable as well. In these situations, you could still transition to the RTS. That being said, if I shot in open division instead of tac-ops, I would likely have an offset T1 instead of the RTS.

User Tag List