Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on SureFire Rapid Transition Sights

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    One of the things I like about the RTS is that if your primary optic becomes unusable due to fog or going prone in a big mud puddle, an offset red dot would likely be unusable as well.
    That's a good point. If you're an animal, you run a T1 offset to one side and the RTS offset on the other.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by agent-smith View Post
    That's a good point. If you're an animal, you run a T1 offset to one side and the RTS offset on the other.
    I know this was said in jest, but for those that haven't tried it, transitioning to an "inboard" (left side of gun for a righty/right side of gun for lefty) offset sighting system is very awkward. So, if you think that the abilitiy to use your back up sighting system from your "other strong shoulder" is important, offset sights probably aren't for you.

Personally as an old shotgun instructor and one who had a lot of training and experience with the AR platform, I have settled on an M1 Carbine as my preferred HD weapon, and last night when forced to leave my defensive position and go on the offense against a rampaging armadillo I grabbed my bead-sighted Scattergun Tech 870 12 gauge<G>!
    Having gotten that out of the way, running an AR I would prefer the BUIS coregistered with the optics and little to no magnification.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    One of the things I like about the RTS is that if your primary optic becomes unusable due to fog or going prone in a big mud puddle, an offset red dot would likely be unusable as well. In these situations, you could still transition to the RTS. That being said, if I shot in open division instead of tac-ops, I would likely have an offset T1 instead of the RTS.
    Another way to avoid this is to get your rifle out of the puddle before shooting. A little water will have no effect on quality optics. Of course, I am not looking at this at all from a competition stand point, so take it for what it is. Just one man's opinion.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Another way to avoid this is to get your rifle out of the puddle before shooting. A little water will have no effect on quality optics. Of course, I am not looking at this at all from a competition stand point, so take it for what it is. Just one man's opinion.
    If the division I shoot in multigun wasn't limited to a single optic, I would use the offset dot with folding BUIS. I've only ever had a problem with mud when shooting a big multi chamber muzzle brake, which is another reason why this may only be a problem for a competition rifle.

Yeah, I have no idea about those sorts of rules. Makes sense to have offset irons then if using a magnified optic and you play by rules like that.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Anyone willing to contribute to the "Get Benny a T1 Fund" can PM me please, donations are greatly appreciated Seems everyone has one but me. Maybe I'll find 600 bucks in the dryer tomorrow.

User Tag List