Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on SureFire Rapid Transition Sights

Thoughts on SureFire Rapid Transition Sights

These seem like a good idea if you're running a magnified optic. I'm pretty comfortable with canting a rifle; did it all the time in NRA smallbore. Of course, that wasn't a 45 degree cant, and it wasn't a 5.56...

Any thoughts on these?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Site Supporter
    I had them on my rifle when I was using a 1-4. I found them very easy to use, but, on my rifle, brass would skip off the brim of my hat and hit me in the forehead, which was very annoying. I recently switched back to an Aimpoint, so I also switched back to traditional BUIS. I think they are the best solution for back ups while running a magnified optic.

This video of Keith Garcia is a good example of how fast the RTS are.

I'm looking at setting up an AR for home defense use, and to take to some classes to train with a weapon similar to my issued M4. Would you (or anyone else) recommend a magnified optic for those uses, and if not, would a lower 1/3 co-witness be the best BUIS for a 1X red dot?
    my fingers for battle.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I'm looking at setting up an AR for home defense use, and to take to some classes to train with a weapon similar to my issued M4. Would you (or anyone else) recommend a magnified optic for those uses, and if not, would a lower 1/3 co-witness be the best BUIS for a 1X red dot?
    I wouldn't use a magnified optic and I would use a lower 1/3. Aimpoint H1/T1 or Pro. If you have kids in the house, you'll have to do some serious thinking on having a easy to access carbine for HD.
    #RESIST

Yep, I was looking at the PRO. And I'd probably use something like Sentry Safe's Home Defense Center or just put it on a high rack in a closet, chamber empty, safety on.
    my fingers for battle.

My own conclusion as a family man with a toddler is Glock in safe, Condition One. Belgian Malinois indoors, Condition One.

Any dog that alerts will do. I just like Belgian Mals and German Shepherds and know how to handle them.
    #RESIST

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Belgian Malinois indoors, Condition One.
    I'm pretty sure our Mal is in Condition Zero at night...

I can also see this as an option for those using a hard-fixed mount like the DD mount for the T-1 Micro.

As for the off set sights, Jim Smith had a set on one of his carbines in the class at OKC, it looked really slick to me as he was running magnified optics.

For a HD carbine I would not use a Magnified optic! Aimpoint or Luepold delta point would be my choice, and I'd have a rail mounted light on top in front of my folded Down BUIS. If the dot did not come on and I had to shoot I would use the tube of the optic as a sight and get it done. I was first shown that by Criss Costa and it worked easily out to 100yds.
    On another point though have you tried to clear your house with a carbine?? I think in the home Shotgun is KING but in my house I can't clear it "right" with a shotgun ( to long) so Ive gone back to the Glock with a light.

And a Labrador in condition of wanting to be petted or fed......
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

I personally feel that a real potential exists for a "low-probablitity shot" (i.e. hostage scenario/head shot on a threat) in an HD situation; as such, I don't have a lot of love for scatterguns or using 30mm tubes as ghost rings if it can be avoided.

User Tag List