Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a new belt

What did you end up purchasing?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Is there such thing as a not hugely expensive, no frills leather gun belt? See picture on why I need a new belt

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I am liking the Ares Aegis.
    The Ares Aegis belt has been my "Go-To" belt since I bought mine.

But my leather belt it replaced was from the Belt man. When I wore my leather belt form the belt man, it didn't scream gun belt.

https://www.thebeltman.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    But my leather belt it replaced was from the Belt man. When I wore my leather belt form the belt man, it didn't scream gun belt.

https://www.thebeltman.com.au
    For clarity, that is "The Beltman" you bought from, and not this "The Beltman"?

http://www.thebeltman.net/www/htdocs/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    What did you end up purchasing?
    A used (at a good price and in perfect condition) Line One biothane from First Spear. I like it.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    My Volund Gearworks belts do, that's why I like them much more.
    Flex was the wrong word. Meant stretch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Has anyone tried the Aker Belt and a Beltman? I am ordering one of these soon and wondering if I should spend the extra cash on a Beltman. Thanks!

Does the beltman have a liner? Or is it a double thick gunbelt?

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Has anyone tried the Aker Belt and a Beltman? I am ordering one of these soon and wondering if I should spend the extra cash on a Beltman. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Does the beltman have a liner? Or is it a double thick gunbelt?
    I'm not a "The Beltman" owner, but he offers double thick belts, and you can get an internal stiffener, if that's what you're asking. http://www.thebeltman.net/www/htdocs/bh112.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I'm not a "The Beltman" owner, but he offers double thick belts, and you can get an internal stiffener, if that's what you're asking. http://www.thebeltman.net/www/htdocs/bh112.htm
    LL, curious to hear how the Firstspear biothane works out.

I, too, have been in the market for a new belt (1.5", dressy in black) and was using this thread to help find a decent choice on a budget. For context, my current daily carry belt (for about a year) is a 1.75" Saddleback Old Bull Belt. Overall, I've been happy with it - the leather itself and metal fittings seem to be well constructed and durable - though with its thick one piece construction, once it broke in, it was not floppy, but I wouldn't say it was particularly stiff. I have noticed that with a full size pistol and spare mag AIWB, it does sag slightly, such that one is tempted to tighten the belt in order to prevent any flop. This is particularly noticeable on pants that have a large distance between the belt loops on either side of the fly. I quite like the 9 holes of adjustment that are much more closely spaced than a typical belt, though I expect that is not uncommon among true gun belts.

In any case, I decided to try a belt that I thought would be stiffer, and based on the suggestions in this thread placed an order for a Beltman dual-layer bullhide belt (I did not order the model with the internal stiffener because the website suggested it was unnecessary for IWB carry). It shipped quickly and was in my hands 3 days later. That much was great. However, I was not particularly pleased with the belt and felt that at roughly the same price as a Saddleback, it looked and felt like it should cost significantly less (~$40-50 would be fair). The leather is noticeably thinner and stiffer (with sharper edges), and to my admittedly untrained eyes, seemed to be of lesser quality. The belt loops were not cut as large and cleanly, such that the thin tongue needed to be jammed through the belt, and I suspect the metal fittings (which also seemed flimsy and cheap by comparison), would quickly enlarge and mark the leather area around the belt holes. There were also two fewer adjustment holes (7 total) and they seemed to be spaced farther apart than on my the Saddleback (though both are advertised at 3/4".. will measure when I get home). In short, I expected a true "bullhide gunbelt" to deliver on these points more than the broadly marketed Saddleback and was surprised and disappointed to find it did not. After it raised some concerns during the initial inspection, I decided that in order to give it a fair shot, I should wear it a bit, see if I noticed a significant, positive difference, and then return/sell it (turns out he doesn't allow returns... surprise, surprise) and chock the loss up to experience. Needless to say, while it did the job, wearing it was insufficiently transcendent, which is to say, as you would expect. It was sufficiently stiff.. and then some, but the sharper edges cut into my excess belly unpleasantly, and the belt was either too loose or too tight (I think my perfect setting was between two adjustment holes). Enough complaining, it's out to pasture.

I then ordered a Saddleback Tow Belt (which is two layers and supposedly stiffer than the Bull Belt) and it arrived today. It was one of the blemished models and I got it discounted for ~$75. Other than a few light scratches, everything is nicer on this belt. The leather and metal fittings are significantly more substantial and the parts fit together better. The tongue fits the adjustment holes perfectly as delivered - no stretching required. It is noticeably stiffer than my current used Saddleback, and while I expect it will soften up a bit, I suspect it will stay stiffer than the one-ply belt in the long term. I would count myself a pleased, repeat customer and having now tried a reputable competitor's belts, I consider the Saddlebacks a terrific value and would unquestionably recommend them over the dual-layer bullhide Beltman.

I am really liking by daltech 1.25 inch. Going to order a 1.5 inch in both Black and brown.

I need a 1.25 inch for my suits. Yeah I need to look good at work for some odd reason.

User Tag List