Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who here carries a 1911 appendix?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I can either get a great master grip, and not be in position to deal with the safety (obviously a no go), or I can deal with the safety and not get a proper grip (also a no go). I probably haven't explained this well enough, but if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
    I spoke to Jason Burton about that very issue, and I think you and he are on to something. I have been playing with my draw the last 24 hours or so, and I think I may have a solution. I'll try it on the range next week and report back.
    This is the exact problem I am having and in fact you explained it way better than I did in alluding to my grip woes in my earlier post. The grip acquisition is where I'm losing my time because trying to go too fast often results in, as you indicated, either a crappy grip and potentially not fully disengaged grip safety, or a solid grip but awkward leverage on the thumb safety. I also sometimes have issues seating my support hand too high and impeding the full motion of the thumb safety, but that has been easier to diagnose and fix.

Either way I look forward to any insights you come across as you're experimenting with your solution.

I did for about a day then realized it was a terrible idea...for me anyways

Update.

I can't draw a 1911 as fast from appendix as I can a Glock. From a strong side holster, both are identical.

I think that the issue is the angle that the grip needs to sit for me to carry and conceal the 1911, combined with the angle my hand needs to be at to get a good grip and be able to disengage the safety. On the strong side, those angles fall into place nicely. Not so much aiwb. I think I could improve my times if I really went at it, but I have other things to work on before that. The Glock just makes it easy.

Site Supporter
    I carry a Colt Commander at about 2:00 OWB and it works really well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I carry a Colt Commander at about 2:00 OWB and it works really well for me.
    Ok. What holster? Concealed?

SLG,

Bob Reed, an administrator over at Handguns and Ammunition forum has commented he uses a C. Rusty Sherrick Dual Use Cross Draw holster and carries at 2:00ish http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/holsters/cross.html

Here are a couple of threads where he talks about his carry use, this is with the Dual Use Cross Draw http://www.handgunsandammunition.com...html#post91073

This is his experiment with a C. Rusty Sherrick AIWB http://www.handgunsandammunition.com...-sherrick.html

Occasionally carrying a full size 1911 in a 5Shot SME at 12:30/1:00. Have only done dry fire draws with the combo. Haven't been to the range with my 1911s in a while due to ammo cost.

Site Supporter
    Ok. What holster? Concealed?
    BlackPoint Tactical. They are made not too far from where I live.

Yes, it conceals easily at 2:00 (for me) under an un-tucked T-shirt or polo. I do wear somewhat loose-fitting shirts made of heavier material.

What is your general body shape? 2 for me would look like a giant pistol sticking out of my shit lol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    What is your general body shape? 2 for me would look like a giant pistol sticking out of my shit lol
    5'11" and 235 lbs. Not a big gut.

The bore of the pistol is at about 1:30, the butt is at 2:00. Should have mentioned that.

User Tag List