Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who here carries a 1911 appendix?

I carry a full size 1911 AIWB every day, and before switching to it earlier this year I was carrying a 2011 style full size AIWB everyday.

Avg draw at 7 yards to an "A" zone is 1.18s last time I collected data, carried in a Keepers AIWB under a polo.

The time is faster than on previous guns, though I feel that has more to do with major changes to my practice regime now versus previous guns.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher. It gives you the tests first and the lessons later." - Oscar Wilde.
    | www.PracticalPerformance.org | Facebook | Instagram |

Since the forum's Rogers class several years back, I have been carrying a Springfield Pro in an SME.

My draw time from legit concealment is 2 seconds. Draw times with other guns from Shaggies are the same.

I carried a 19 in a Keepers (made for a G17) for a little over 3 years before going back to a 1911 late last year (ref my post in Passion of the Gun). I have carried said 1911 in a Milt Sparks SS2, but I'm really thinking I need to order a Keepers for it. At this point I prefer appendix carry, and aside from being quicker, easier to conceal and defend, the weight of the all steel CQBE feels much better up front.

I guess this would be a good time to research other appendix holsters as well.

StraitR check out the SME from 5 shot John seems like a really good guy and makes a great product I'm going to get one for my Wilson tactical carry.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    StraitR check out the SME from 5 shot John seems like a really good guy and makes a great product I'm going to get one for my Wilson tactical carry.
    Rick
    Will do. Thanks for the suggestion, Rick.

Thanks for all the replies so far. More than I would have thought. I asked because I'm having some issues with my aiwb draw with my 1911. From a strong side holster, my times are identical with the 1911 or anything else I have used. For comparison's sake, full speed (meaning I'm likely to hit an a zone at 7 yards but cannot guarantee it) is between .8 and .9. Very likely is .9-10. On demand hits are 1-1.1. Aiwb with a Glock is the same. Aiwb with my 1911 is more like 1.20. BIG difference. I noticed this in January, and talked to most of my shooting friends about it. No one one had any ideas. Some suggested talking to other well known trainers who also used 1911's and Glocks. They had no idea either. Turns out they also don't really understand aiwb very well. Should have been a clue to me.

I have come to the conclusion that the angle of the 1911 in my holster, combined with the angle my hand needs to be at to have a high flagged thumb to deal with the safety, is not compatible for me with aiwb and a tight to the body holster. My fingers need more space to get a master grip in the holster, and they just don't have it. At my old draw speeds, it was never a problem. 1.10-1.20 was as fast as I was. The issue only comes up in trying to go as fast as I am used to with the Glocks. I can either get a great master grip, and not be in position to deal with the safety (obviously a no go), or I can deal with the safety and not get a proper grip (also a no go). I probably haven't explained this well enough, but if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

I'm already working on and with different holster designs to address this, but I suspect it will be quite a while before I have a full solution.

I actually spoke to Robbie Leatham about his 1911 draw, the grip safety and the thumb safety. He said that he has to be able to shoot a range of 1911 pistols, and has developed a technique where his initial grip is to get a proper grip activating the grip safety (regardless of how that grip safety is tuned). He does not worry about the thumb safety, until after he has his initial grip and the gun is extending to the target -- way later than I would have guessed. Using that method, I watched him make a first attempt hit on a smallish steel at 15ish yards in, as I recall, .72 seconds. Taadski was there and may refresh my recollection.

You might see if getting your initial grip while disregarding considering the thumb safety speeds up the process.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

SLG-

With an extremely quick .8-.9 draw as a baseline, any variances to what is used to achieve optimum performance will introduce a time delay. Mentally monitoring quality of grip will certainly affect draw speed, just like it does on a novice. Change in draw geometry, "angles" as you put it, will have a negative impact. Both of these you have mentioned.

I would also add any physical changes, mainly weight, should also be considered. If you're moving as quickly as you can with the Glocks, it's safe to say that you're using maximum force to do so. If you increase the weight of what you're moving by 30-40%, but not increase the force used, it will not be done with the same level of efficiency.

I would suspect that the cause is not a singular one, but rather multiple, compounded factors. Simply assigning a modest .1 penalty to each of the variances above (grip, angles, weight), immediately introduces a nearly 30% increase in time, and right at your 1.20 1911 speed.
    Last edited by StraitR; 08-07-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

StraitR, I think you are mostly correct, but my 1911 draw from an ALS holster or an open top holster is also in the .8-.9 range, so while the angle is different, I don't think weight is an issue though I get what you're saying and I could be wrong.

GJM,

I spoke to Jason Burton about that very issue, and I think you and he are on to something. I have been playing with my draw the last 24 hours or so, and I think I may have a solution. I'll try it on the range next week and report back.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

StraitR, I think you are mostly correct, but my 1911 draw from an ALS holster or an open top holster is also in the .8-.9 range, so while the angle is different, I don't think weight is an issue though I get what you're saying and I could be wrong.

GJM,

I spoke to Jason Burton about that very issue, and I think you and he are on to something. I have been playing with my draw the last 24 hours or so, and I think I may have a solution. I'll try it on the range next week and report back.

User Tag List