Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front sight - when to use top edge focus?

I haven't talked to Rob specifically about the jerk since 2006, which was when he explained it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GP47 View Post
    I wonder if the reasons mentioned above are why I prefer smaller sights like the original three dot Ameriglo night sights over the much larger Trijicon HDs? Even though the notch in the back is larger, I find myself having more accurate shots even at speed with the much smaller Ameriglos. When I press out and shoot as long as those three dots are close they are tight enough for me to be accurate. I didn't find the same for the HDs with the large rear notch. I do have great vision (20/15) currently so that may also play a factor..
    There is only .25 difference front to rear notch in the HD sights for the 17, what is the difference with the Ameriglo model you have?

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...php?pid=GL101O

Sent from my iPad
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There is only .25 difference front to rear notch in the HD sights for the 17, what is the difference with the Ameriglo model you have?

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produ...php?pid=GL101O

Sent from my iPad
    Rear notch is 0.150" front blade is 0.140"... Plain Jane Ameriglo Classic Night Sights, I tried other "cooler" ones but I went back to these. I know, wider rear notch should be faster but as I mentioned the space is so small that I just line them up relatively close and I'm on because of the small differential. Shooting FAST at 6 seconds and Wilson 5x5 around 22 seconds currently using a Glock 19. I just purchased my first timer a few weeks ago so while not ground breaking, I'm happy with the progress.
    Last edited by GAP; 08-05-2015 at 02:21 PM.

I think some of this is vision and brain centric. I cut my teeth on dot sights. I have trained myself from the very beginning to drive the dot. Even my first duty revolver had a tritium dot. I don't know if it is repetition or how my eyes work, but I like circles, I like U notches with a dot in them, it is what I have made work for me. Yet....I have always struggled with very precise accuracy.

Then there is my business and shooting partner. He works the top edge and is capable of some amazing feats of accurate shooting (helps that he presses a trigger exceptionally well also). I remember him shooting one of my pistols and noted a burr on the edge of the front sight that annoyed him......which I never noticed. Again different concentration and he has been shooting far longer than me and probably used to a edge focused sight picture. At this point in my vision adventure,mi am lucky I can see a dot.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

As posted above, the degree of focus depends on the difficulty of the shot, and the time available.

I used to shoot IPSC, but also more accuracy oriented disciplines, and that's why I love a well defined sight picture (black on black, perhaps a dot or illum dot up front) and it really annoys me when the front sight is slightly damaged/deformed/rounded/burred.

User Tag List