Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W m327pc (problem child)

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Thanks for the correction on the S&W terminology. For some reason (Colt-speak, perhaps), I think of the cylinder stop as the bolt.

I need to think my way through the recoil sequence to understand what is happening. I know the case head is being pushed out of the cylinder charge hole and is stopped by the breech face. That suggests the cylinder is being pushed forward (equal and opposite reaction), which explains the addition of the spring-loaded pin for the front of the ejector rod. Okay, that all makes sense.

How did S&W not catch this issue during validation/verification testing of the design before starting mass production?

My memory of flame cutting on the titanium cylinder was that it is fatal. Once the hard protective clear coat is breached, the underlying material is VERY prone to erosion. I would not be surprised if S&W would not replace the revolver due to the number and severity of the issues.
    Colt-speak, indeed. No worries, its a common thing; like when folks refer to the yoke (S&W terminology) as a crane (Colt-speak).

As I stated earlier, S&W broke new ground with these revolvers. Not only do they not have all the answers regarding them, I don't think they even know all of the questions.

Example… My 360PD, and an identical example, were purchased in the fall of 2002 by myself and a colleague. Fifteen rounds of full-patch .357s were enough to convince me that I wanted nothing further to do with "magnums" in this little beast. My colleague, OTOH, has always been somewhat of a masochist, and insisted on shooting the full 50 round qual course using our issue 158gr HydraShok duty .357 rounds. By the midway point, his hand was a bloody mess, but he kept on. As he was loading his final five cartridges, the cylinder/yoke assembly fell out of the gun.

A moment here to explain something… the yoke on S&W revolvers appears to be a one-piece part, but actually it is comprised of two pieces; the yoke and yoke barrel, which the cylinder rides and swings out on, and the yoke stud, which is the part that goes into the revolver's frame and is secured in the gun by the yoke screw. This stud has a machined end, called the "button", which the end of the yoke screw fits into and retains the part in the frame. The whole stud is a press fit into the lower part of the yoke/yoke barrel. They use this monster hydraulic press, under TONS of pressure, to do it. The front of the part is then finish-machined and polished. If the polisher dude was in a hurry on a particular yoke assembly, sometimes you can see the faint outline of the end of the stud, as a smaller diameter circle. The point here is, this is a critical part and the immense pressure used means it just doesn't fail. Theoretically, anyway…

Back to the bloody 360PD. My pal picked up the now-separate yoke/cylinder assembly and handed it to me. The yoke stud was protruding about 3mm from the front of the yoke itself. What had apparently occurred was the stud "broke free" of the yoke, moved forward under recoil, the button "jumped" the yoke screw, and was no longer held by same. Gravity did the rest.

I was, like, triple WTF??? In 15 years (at that time) of wrenching on hundreds of these things, that was one malady I had never seen… or even heard of. But there it was, in front of my face.

So I called S&W, and who do I get on the phone but one of my original armorer school instructors, a man who had been with the company since Christ was a corporal and finally moved into a customer service slot to get off the road. He was a master fitter before taking the instructor job, and at that time was undoubtedly one of the most knowledgeable guys, on the inner workings of revolvers, at the plant. He remembered me, we chatted a bit, then I hit him with the problem. He promptly informed me that he was having a bad day and was in no mood for jokes.

We talked a bit more, then he realized I was serious… and got real quiet.

Sorry for this novella, but there's a point to it. Once that 360PD was back in their hands, they sent my pal a new one, post-haste, no questions asked, no paperwork, period. That's always a clue. It took a while, but I finally spoke with another old plant guy who was straight up with me. This is what he told me:

They tested these guns to hell and back before starting production, but this was one issue that had not cropped up- had NEVER cropped up in ANY S&W revolver, as far as he knew. He said that the Ti-Scan guns were guaranteed to digest 5K worth of full power magnums. And here's the kicker… he said that these beasts had a few idiosyncrasies peculiar to the titanium cylinder, the Scandium frame, and the horrendous recoil they generated. He would not get more specific, but admitted that my pal's 360PD had added a new page to the book.

Here's the point… what SS is seeing may indeed not have manifested itself during the pre-production test regimen. We are all familiar with "tolerance stacking" in polymer pistols. Well, the same thing, of a sort, can occur with machined metal.

Another possibility is that S&W management knows that most of their customers will never put a serious strain on their products. So if a certain product has a limited life-span, and their market analysis shows that the average purchaser is not likely to exceed that threshhold, just sell the product as-is and repair/replace on the back end if that becomes necessary. Not saying that is the case here, but we know it is an established fact, in everything from vehicles to clothes pins.

Again (and aside from the anecdote I related), this is mostly conjecture on my part. I applaud SS for the analytical way he has approached his problem; well done, sir.

And you are correct, farscott; once that protective clear-coat on the titanium cylinders is breached, the cylinder integrity is not long for this world if you continue to shoot it. I didn't notice any distinct burn rings (left by the juncture of the charge hole and back end of the barrel during firing) on the cylinder face, SS. Did you, by chance, scrub them off with a metal-bristled brush?

SS, regarding the burn rings, I can see some now, on the better resolution of my home 'puter. But it still looks like they have been "scrubbed" at some point… so my question stands.

My wife shoots one of the 342PD guns with standard-pressure .38 Special. That is too much for my hands. I will not go lighter than the 442/642, which weighs 50% more than the 342PD does. I cannot imagine what the .357 version of those guns is like.

Site Supporter
    Lsp972, there is no end shake in the yoke and only slight end shake in the cylinder. I checked the yoke in the frame with out the cylinder, there is no movement (up and down, side to side) of the yoke in the frame. I guess the flex is in the cylinder and the yoke in the frame. I have tried by hand to make the cylinder touch the frame but I can't. It is hard to imagine that the frame is flexing enough for the cylinder to hit the frame.

The frame won't flex; its slop in the yoke that would cause what I was talking about.

You are checking endshake cylinder with the trigger pulled, yes? Pull it through DA, and hold it back (which keeps all the moving parts "locked" into place), then check the cylinder for fore/aft movement.

SOMETHING is causing the cylinder to rub against the frame, and the fact that the mark is wider at the back than at the front, along with your description of uneven bullet entry into the forcing cone, is what led me to believe the cylinder is flexing downward at the rear.

My 360PD has over 5K rounds through it, and the finish around the cylinder stop area is still unblemished… as it should be. The only things that should contact the cylinder's exterior surfaces are the hand and cylinder stop. Both will wear to the point of needing replacement, but that takes quite a long time if the revolver was strapped up (a fitter's term meaning properly timed) correctly when new.

I confess that I'm at a loss to accurately diagnose what the problem is, or suggest a fix. However, I think that the gas cutting on your cylinder face, if it has indeed breached the clear coat, trumps all else. IOW, the more you shoot it, the more your cylinder face will erode, and nothing good will come of that.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    My wife shoots one of the 342PD guns with standard-pressure .38 Special.
    If she shoots more than 5-10 rounds at a session, that's one hard-core gal. I too have a 342 (not the PD version); it weighs about a half-ounce less than my 360PD, and neither are fun to shoot with ANYTHING. I do the bulk of my J frame shooting/training with an old steel-framed 640 these days… I carry the 360PD, and shoot it occasionally, but I cannot recall the last time I shot the 342. It is put up as a spare for carry, should something happen to the 360PD.

But you just cannot beat those AirLite flyweights for carry comfort… and those who are familiar with their bite will be able to control one for the five "real" rounds in the gun, if the flag goes up. Tools, my man… they are excellent tools. In fact, if I ever run across one of the uber-rare 340PDs that were made just prior to that communist lock being implemented, I'll jump on it with both feet.

Nobody ever carried a Glock because it was pretty; and nobody ever carried an AirLite J frame because it was pleasant to shoot. But for their intended purpose, both are at the top of their game, IMO.

Well… assuming your Glock is an older one that works properly. But we won't go there…

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I don't know if they are different than the 340PDs before the lock came into existence, but there are new no-lock 340PDs available. The SKU is 103061.
    Buds Police sells the no lock 340 quite frequently

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    If she shoots more than 5-10 rounds at a session, that's one hard-core gal. I too have a 342 (not the PD version); it weighs about a half-ounce less than my 360PD, and neither are fun to shoot with ANYTHING. I do the bulk of my J frame shooting/training with an old steel-framed 640 these days… I carry the 360PD, and shoot it occasionally, but I cannot recall the last time I shot the 342. It is put up as a spare for carry, should something happen to the 360PD.
    Yeah, she shoots the 342PD fairly often as it is her favorite carry gun when she cannot carry her P30. We have a small backyard range, and she likes to ring the steel gong with the 342PD. I was able to find a fair amount of the Federal Nyclad JHP load and a bunch of the RN Nyclad on closeout several years ago. That is what she shoots. I have no clue on round count on the gun, but it is well up there based on the amount of Nyclad left. Hers is a pre-lock gun that came in the S&W "jewelry" case. It still is taking up space in the safe.

I prefer the SP-101 due to the weight and durability (not to mention the Gemini Customs DAO trigger), but, for pocket carry, the 442/642 is the lightest I can go and use for practice.

Site Supporter
    LSP972, I rechecked the end shake of the yoke and cylinder with the trigger held back and the results were the same.

I have not used a brush on the cylinder because of the coating. However the coating was most likely compromised since I have had to retighten the barrel several times. Once I got the barrel cylinder gap too tight and the cylinder hit the barrel on opening and closing.

This is a picture of the original cylinder that s&w replaced. It was really flame cut.

LSP972, thanks for the kind words. I've learned from your post also.

Site Supporter
    I like S&W PC revolvers but I am never going to buy one with a titanium cylinder now.

User Tag List