Thread: Looking for a 12 o'clock light mount

Question Looking for a 12 o'clock light mount

I'm looking to get a light mounted right in front of my front sight post on my carbine. So far I'm coming up with a lot of gimmicky looking items but nothing that looks solid. You guys build, see, and run more rifles than I will in years so what do you see working best? My carbine isn't free floated so I'm currently limited to what I can attach near the front sight post and still have room to properly grip the rifle so the 12 o'clock or maybe a 6 o'clock position appeals to me most, both forward of the handguard. Barring that do you have a better idea of a solid 2 piece drop in handguard that's better suited to the role? I'm currently using a UTG Pro M4 slim drop in and starting to think I'll need to change it to meet what I currently think my needs are. I only run a Magpul AFG2 and heat shield on the top rail but it needs a light. Any suggestions or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

http://battlecomp.com/index.php?main...products_id=48

I've used one of these, it was ok. I had to Rocksett the set screws because they would eventually work themselves loose. The big issue was at the range, working the light with a hot FSB and no gloves could get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    http://battlecomp.com/index.php?main...products_id=48
    I've used one of these, it was ok. I had to Rocksett the set screws because they would eventually work themselves loose. The big issue was at the range, working the light with a hot FSB and no gloves could get interesting.
    We use these for our standard carbine setup and they've worked well with the caveats you've noted above. Doing any significant volume of shooting can be difficult due to heat transfer but it works fine in the field. At our last carbine low light training, I had everyone pull the lights off of their duty guns and transfer them to 15-22's. They worked all of the light manipulations and did a lot of shooting with the 22's so heat was never a problem. When we moved back to the "real" rifles, it was obvious that learning had taken place.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I've put the Mossie Tactics / Battle Comp mount on a few ARs now. If you are restricted from modifying the gun or realize you don't need a rail these work really well.

This may not apply to your situation, but when I was running the Mossie mount, I was using an x300, there were several times that I found that my light while in the rifle case had been bumped on inadvertently in my locker or car trunk and I ended up with dead light. Pistol lights are not designed with quick battery changes in mind.

I use a apl at 12 oclock directly onto the rail. I second what paul said, its an awesome set up but you need to pay attention to the light when its in storage..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    This may not apply to your situation, but when I was running the Mossie mount, I was using an x300, there were several times that I found that my light while in the rifle case had been bumped on inadvertently in my locker or car trunk and I ended up with dead light. Pistol lights are not designed with quick battery changes in mind.
    This seems to be a good solution for rifle mounted X300 variants... http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/ex...fire-x-series/

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    This seems to be a good solution for rifle mounted X300 variants... http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/ex...fire-x-series/
    that is pretty slick

User Tag List