Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 21st Century Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I built mine around an SLG21, with the US Palm rail and AimP T-1. I am currently having Rifle Dynamics do their front sight location swap, and open the rear sight a bit to make it a little easier to pick up the irons for rapid target engagement. It also allow me to use a standard screw driver for sight adjustments instead of trying to figure out which AK sight pusher I need to use. There are so many variations of front sights on AK's I think I am up to 5 different sight pushers. The best being Russian, but only works on the Soviet made AKM. I have been pretty underwhelmed with most of the domestic offerings of sight tools. I use the SLG OEM grip, but hit it with a soldering iron for stippling and good anti-slip texture.

I also like the Rifle Dynamics rear iron sight. There is a company out there that makes a pretty heavy-duty AK sight tool (Magna-Matic) but I need to find an alternate method/tool to adjust the front on my 102 & 105 clones (I use the B-West tool for those).

I added the Krebs selector, and used a side folding stock, as that is similar to my work AK. A stubby VFG, scout light on a offset mount, and a VTAC sling round out the set up. My FH is really just a thread protector as I tend to run suppressed when possible, feasible,and practical. But the only .30 cal suppressor I have is a direct thread on. A quick dab of loc-tite will keep the FH in place for most shooting except high volume. I don't use a buffer, but instead use an epoxy treatment on the recoil spring guide to take care of the gases trying escape through the top cover rear slot.

A stubby VFG is the way to go, especially with 7.62x39 as longer VFGs may interfere with a mag change.

While I certainly would not describe the AK in the same manner as some who believe it to be a divine gift from the Gods, it is definitely a "good enough" rifle and will handle a wide variety of requirements and situations. Quality counts when it comes to the AK. Again, there is an almost cult admiration of the AK and it's mythical reliability as compared to other military type rifles. Certainly it is the most copied assault rifle in the world, but the good majority of the copies are 3rd world crap, and the reliability is garbage. I'd go so far as to say that "most" AK's are terribly unreliable. Poor quality control, low rent magazines, awful parts quality, terrible metallurgy all lead to weak sauce rifles. Fortunately most of those never make it to the US market, which helps perpetuate the legend of the unbreakable, infallible AK47. But if you clean it once in awhile, use quality mags, decent ammo, and put a drop of lube or two on it every so often, most domestic examples will run great for a good long time.

I agree that the AK will get the job done quite well with a trained shooter - I also agree that unless your AK was built in a former Com-Bloc country or here in the USA by one of a *handful* of qualified builders, there's a good chance that it is substandard. Without a doubt I've seen more AKs malfunction in various coursework than ARs. Stick with Com-Bloc magazines (jury's still out on the US Palm mags) and lube the rails and bolt and things should go well.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    21st Century Kalashnikov = AR15 in .300 BLK...
    Well, if we're going to go that route, I'd have to argue than the FN SCAR in .300 BLK is more truly akin to a 21st Century Kalashnikov... but alas we digress...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    FN SCAR in .300 BLK...
    Giggity.

AK47 forum recommendations?

I just ordered an Arsenal SGL21 for my all-around, general-purpose SHTF long gun for under 200 yards. Have enjoyed plinking with my 9mm Beretta CX4 Storm, but wanted something in a rifle caliber and the low cost of 7.62x39 ammo was a big factor for my selecting an AK over an AR. I expect to run through thousands of rounds while learning. From what I've read, Arsenal is one of those handful of reliable US assemblers, but time will tell.

Anyone have a rifle forum to recommend for a new AK47 owner? For the time being, I'm less interested in tricking out my gun to the max and more interested in guidance on fundamentals, training drills, etc. Is it safe to assume that the fundamentals for developing skills with a semiauto carbine are more similar than they are different?

I found TOrrock's thread on AK's at m4carbine.net to be helpful. And DocGKR's comment about the value of training over gear weighed in favor of the cheaper AK ammo for me.
    I would much rather go into battle with a guy who practices 15,000 rounds a year using generic 55 gr FMJ out of his old M16A1 than with some guy that has the latest state-of-the-art ammo and rifle, but only shoots 500 rounds a year.
    Thoughts?
    "You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." -- Jeff Cooper, in "Principles Of Personal Defense"

I would stick to the Long Guns section here. The signal/noise is huge. There are several guys who have a lot of experience behind an AK here.

Jay, do you have any time behind the MI rear sight T1 mount? I know they had some teething problems at first, but the second gen ones seemed to have that fixed. Unfortunately, I haven't seen hide nor hair of them since the new front mounts came out.

No, but I am interested in them and I'd like to evaluate one.

I would stick to the Long Guns section here. The signal/noise is huge. There are several guys who have a lot of experience behind an AK here.
    Thanks Jay, I'll check it out.
    "You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." -- Jeff Cooper, in "Principles Of Personal Defense"

Does anyone have any experience with or reccomendations for the Arsenal SLR107-21 as a serious fighting rifle?

I agree that the AK will get the job done quite well with a trained shooter - I also agree that unless your AK was built in a former Com-Bloc country or here in the USA by one of a *handful* of qualified builders, there's a good chance that it is substandard. Without a doubt I've seen more AKs malfunction in various coursework than ARs. Stick with Com-Bloc magazines (jury's still out on the US Palm mags) and lube the rails and bolt and things should go well.
    Jay-

Could you offer any advice on which models from which countries or manufacturers are acceptable. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Arsenal's AK's, but I've also heard some negative things about some of the current models coming out of some ComBloc countries. I'm pretty inexperienced with AK's at this point, since I'm still in the process of educating myself on them, so I'm having trouble separating actual fact from internet "fact".
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

User Tag List