Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 21st Century Kalashnikov

The 21st Century Kalashnikov

My current recommendations for a winning Kalashnikov setup:

• AK-102/104/105 clone configuration (12.5" barrel, polymer furniture to include polymer folding stock, unitary FSB/gas block)
    • UltiMak gas tube replacement
    • Aimpoint T-1 Micro
    • MagPul RSA sling adapter
    • Vickers Combat Applications Sling w/ MASH hook
    • US Palm pistol grip
    • Krebs Custom enhanced safety lever
    • Manticore flash hider (only *if* the gun is gassed enough without the muzzle booster)
    • VLTOR SM-OCG Scout Mount w/ SureFire G2L Nitrolon

The RS AKM mount for an Aimpoint is nice if you don't want to go the forward-mounted optic route. A Gemtech HALO suppressor with an VLTOR adapter is also an option. I normally do not ever recommend the use of a "recoil buffer", but in the case of a suppressed AK I do recommend a Power Custom or Buffer Technologies buffer to cushion the rear of the receiver (overgassed gun can cause the bolt carrier group to smack it) and to help prevent gas from exiting out the rear hole in the top cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    My current recommendations for a winning Kalashnikov setup:

• AK-102/104/105 clone configuration (12.5" barrel, polymer furniture to include polymer folding stock, unitary FSB/gas block)
    • UltiMak gas tube replacement
    • Aimpoint T-1 Micro
    • MagPul RSA sling adapter
    • Vickers Combat Applications Sling w/ MASH hook
    • US Palm pistol grip
    • Krebs Custom enhanced safety lever
    • Manticore flash hider (only *if* the gun is gassed enough without the muzzle booster)
    • VLTOR SM-OCG Scout Mount w/ SureFire G2L Nitrolon

The RS AKM mount for an Aimpoint is nice if you don't want to go the forward-mounted optic route. A Gemtech HALO suppressor with an VLTOR adapter is also an option. I normally do not ever recommend the use of a "recoil buffer", but in the case of a suppressed AK I do recommend a Power Custom or Buffer Technologies buffer to cushion the rear of the receiver (overgassed gun can cause the bolt carrier group to smack it) and to help prevent gas from exiting out the rear hole in the top cover.
    PICS!

How about for non SBR rifles?
    #RESIST

I really like the US Palm/MI forend with the integrated Aimpoint micro mount as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How about for non SBR rifles?
    Same thing. Replace the brake/comp with the FH because it doesn't really do much when you're not unloading a full-auto string. Obviously this is for FSB's with the 24mm RH thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I really like the US Palm/MI forend with the integrated Aimpoint micro mount as well.
    Had a couple this weekend that were the original style and the benefits of the recessed area that allows a lower sitting optic made themselves pretty obvious.

I built mine around an SLG21, with the US Palm rail and AimP T-1. I am currently having Rifle Dynamics do their front sight location swap, and open the rear sight a bit to make it a little easier to pick up the irons for rapid target engagement. It also allow me to use a standard screw driver for sight adjustments instead of trying to figure out which AK sight pusher I need to use. There are so many variations of front sights on AK's I think I am up to 5 different sight pushers. The best being Russian, but only works on the Soviet made AKM. I have been pretty underwhelmed with most of the domestic offerings of sight tools. I use the SLG OEM grip, but hit it with a soldering iron for stippling and good anti-slip texture.

I added the Krebs selector, and used a side folding stock, as that is similar to my work AK. A stubby VFG, scout light on a offset mount, and a VTAC sling round out the set up. My FH is really just a thread protector as I tend to run suppressed when possible, feasible,and practical. But the only .30 cal suppressor I have is a direct thread on. A quick dab of loc-tite will keep the FH in place for most shooting except high volume. I don't use a buffer, but instead use an epoxy treatment on the recoil spring guide to take care of the gases trying escape through the top cover rear slot.

While I certainly would not describe the AK in the same manner as some who believe it to be a divine gift from the Gods, it is definitely a "good enough" rifle and will handle a wide variety of requirements and situations. Quality counts when it comes to the AK. Again, there is an almost cult admiration of the AK and it's mythical reliability as compared to other military type rifles. Certainly it is the most copied assault rifle in the world, but the good majority of the copies are 3rd world crap, and the reliability is garbage. I'd go so far as to say that "most" AK's are terribly unreliable. Poor quality control, low rent magazines, awful parts quality, terrible metallurgy all lead to weak sauce rifles. Fortunately most of those never make it to the US market, which helps perpetuate the legend of the unbreakable, infallible AK47. But if you clean it once in awhile, use quality mags, decent ammo, and put a drop of lube or two on it every so often, most domestic examples will run great for a good long time.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Great thread guys, food for thought. Looking at folding stocks for my AK.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Great thread guys, food for thought. Looking at folding stocks for my AK.
    For an AK folding stock, go with an ACE - specifically, with the internal receiver block. It requires cutting off the tang (not a big deal) but the "external" receiver blocks are just half-assed and look like shit. I think your brother shot my AK with the ACE stock, but I can't remember for sure.

21st Century Kalashnikov = AR15 in .300 BLK...

User Tag List