Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Which truck?

What's the deal with your '03?

I have an 03 Z71 Sierra that I really like. I bought a new Outback a couple years ago but kept the GMC around as well. Every time I drive it I wish I would have just put some money in it instead of buying the Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    What's the deal with your '03?

I have an 03 Z71 Sierra that I really like. I bought a new Outback a couple years ago but kept the GMC around as well. Every time I drive it I wish I would have just put some money in it instead of buying the Subaru.
    It's lifted for one. I swore when I was about 17 I would never own another lifted truck, but then I bought this one. The kid (he was 18, I should have taken that as a clue) that owned it before me thrashed it even though it was fairly low miles. He must have taken it through a stream crossing at some point because since buying it I've discovered some electrical issue and mold on the carpet liner. I've since replaced both the carpet and liner, but I'm pretty much done with the truck. I just want to sell it and start over.

Tag, I love truck threads.
    #RESIST

So the Garrett turbos in the Ecoboost will eventually need to be replaced, but no mention of the Garrett turbo in the LBZ? So far most of the concerns about the turbos in the ecoboost have not materialized. There have been some persistent intercooler issues and less than stellar fuel economy numbers. The intercooler shouldn't be an issue in California.

I wouldn't buy a new Ford until the insurance industry figures out what they're going to do on rates. The recent IIHS test put the repair figures at 26% higher than a steel body f150, that may eventually translate into much higher comprehensive, collision and unisnured/underinsured motorist premiums.

GM is dropping the 5yr/100k warranty at the end of the '15 model year.

Personally I would go used (and it's not my money here) with a later model 1500 with a 5.3 with a 6 speed or 2500HD with a 6.0, 4.10's, and a 6 speed. The 03-07 1500hd misses out on a lot of potential due to the 4 speed transmission. The 5.3 and 6 speed has plenty of power and enough gears for a half ton truck, and if you can find one with 50K+ miles and hasn't developed oil consumption issues, it should be fairly solid. The 2500hd is a more "work" oriented truck. You get full floating rear axle, the 10.5" rear end, the heavier duty 6L90E transmission, higher GVWR, higher payload, and more straight forward towing numbers.

I wouldn't buy the first couple model years of any vehicle after a significant redesign.

When I have vehicle shopped, I've found a $20 subscription to the Consumer Reports on-line database to be very useful. They have a significant enough sample size that the information is useful and don't accept advertisign.

I'd almost buy GM if I could get it with a stick.
    #RESIST

I always check consumer reports but you need to know their green biases. They will recommend less motor/vehicle than will do the job well. The frequency of repair data is useful.

Actually in the market for a tow vehicle for a travel trailer. Would you guys mind me asking a question?

We test drove a nice 2015 Dodge 2500HD 4x4 crew 6' bed with the Cummins I6 yesterday. It's currently at the top of our list. Are there any recurring issues with the Cummins engines we need to consider before purchasing?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Actually in the market for a tow vehicle for a travel trailer. Would you guys mind me asking a question?

We test drove a nice 2015 Dodge 2500HD 4x4 crew 6' bed with the Cummins I6 yesterday. It's currently at the top of our list. Are there any recurring issues with the Cummins engines we need to consider before purchasing?

Rich
    It's not that easy. It depends on the year of the truck. By and large, Cummins are great. We have a 2003 dually 4wd Cummins that is a tank and running like champ with 195k miles of hard towing (goosenecks mainly). I'm sure other more informed members will pop in shortly.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd almost buy GM if I could get it with a stick.
    I'd buy almost any truck with a standard, but it seems as though that's not an option anymore.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List