Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory XD9

Springfield Armory XD9

Looking at picking up the service model, what is every bodies take on this pistol. Reliability, shoot ability over all satisfaction.

Site Supporter
    You won't find a lot of love for the XD here.

The good: The XD is an accurate and relatively "shootable" platform. The trigger is not bad and can be improved for competition use and the XD is reasonably reliable in terms of the cycle of operation.

The bad: durability is poor. I've heard of the guns having multiple parts breakages and sometimes literally falling apart during law enforcement agency testing. This is compounded by the fact that Springfield Armory does not sell spare parts or conduct armors classes for the XD in the way that Glock does. If anything breaks they want you to send it back to the factory. Finally, the thing that really makes the XD a no go for any type of serious use is the fact that the grip safety not only prevents firing but locks up the slide. This is true of all XD models except for the XDS single stacks.

I wouldn't mind having an XDM 5.25 inch target model as a range toy but I wouldn't want an XD for anything serious.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-18-2015 at 06:48 AM.

Not a fan. I'd prefer a Glock 19/17, HK VP9, Sig P226, or even a Walther PPQ.
    #RESIST

Hey, don't you currently shoot a Beretta PX4? Are you just poking the bear with a stick? The PX4 (before Ernest Langdon's current PX4 thread began) and XD9 are probably the least loved duty sized guns on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Hey, don't you currently shoot a Beretta PX4?
    I do not. I am wearing a Gadget equipped G19 that I've owned and shot with since 2007. I do not make enough to experiment with different pistols. However, I am shooting Langdon's PX4 later this week.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I do not.
    Sorry, I was referring to the OP. I believe he is a PX4 shooter, and if I remember correctly he loves it.

LOL , Not poking the bear. I have really grown fond of my PX4's over the last 5 years but I have been considering another striker fired pistol. I have a G19 but just can't get use to the grip. I checked out an XD at my local LGS and liked the way it felt in the hand a lot better than the Glock.
    I was just curious on why the XD line wasn't discussed or used by more members on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Hey, don't you currently shoot a Beretta PX4? Are you just poking the bear with a stick? The PX4 (before Ernest Langdon's current PX4 thread began) and XD9 are probably the least loved duty sized guns on this forum.

I'm somewhat jealous, to not only get to shoot the Langdon PX4, but to get to spend the afternoon picking his brain for tips and tricks.
    Let us know how the PX4 shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I do not. I am wearing a Gadget equipped G19 that I've owned and shot with since 2007. I do not make enough to experiment with different pistols. However, I am shooting Langdon's PX4 later this week.

If you do end up wanting a XD9, I have a new one for sale that I will give you a fair price on.

If the XD was a $300 pistol, I would have more use for one. But at a higher cost than a Glock or M&P?? Nope.

When the gun was the HS2000, it was a deal at $300. Springfield roll marks it then charges close to $600 for the same thing. It is an ok gun, but not spectacular. Much better options for the money. If you just have to have it, the 9 runs better than the .40.... Decent trigger, decent ergos, but little to no parts availability, and a crappy/fragile internal design.

As HCM mentioned, these guns have never been adopted by ANY major agency even though they have been submitted for trials. Through friends of friends, I have heard these guns go down hard during testing. I have personally seen an XD locked up so bad it took a rubber mallet to get things moving. Houston Police approved the XD40 for personal purchase duty carry in 2010. By 2013 it was removed from the approved list because of too many failures during quals. We call that a clue.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List