Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So which DA/SA is the Glock 19 of hammer guns?

So which DA/SA is the Glock 19 of hammer guns?

The title says it all. There are a number of good choices in Glock 19 sized DA/SA pistols. Some of the likely suspects are the HK P2000, CZ P07, Beretta PX4 Compact, and the Sig 228/229.

What are the pro's and con's of each?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

For me the P07 comes the closest, although I sold my early version since it wouldn't eject partially empty mags. My only objection to my SIG P225 is the placement of the slide catch otherwise it is perfect for me.
    No experience with the Beretta.

Hopefully this isn't a drift but is there much of a difference between a gadget equipped G19 vs any hammer fire gun of similar size?

When you say Glock 19 - are you just referring to size? Or perhaps other attributes of it - such as weight/reliability/track record/cost/etc.?

Can you clarify what you mean by "the Glock 19 of DA/SA guns?"

Popularity/prevalence throughout the word, industry, ect? Parts availability and aftermarket support? Robustness or reliability? Simplicity of design?

I don't think it's a concept I can wrap my head around, but I also think Glock's are the bottom-rung of what can be considered a serviceable sidearm.

If anything, I'd say it'd be a CZ, because it's as cheap as you can get while still making a gun that will function most of the time. I don't think you could label the P229 or P2000 the G19 of DA/SA guns, because they're representative of something entirely different than what a Glock is.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by "the Glock 19 of DA/SA guns?"

Popularity/prevalence throughout the word, industry, ect? Parts availability and aftermarket support? Robustness or reliability? Simplicity of design?

I don't think it's a concept I can wrap my head around, but I also think Glock's are the bottom-rung of what can be considered a serviceable sidearm.

If anything, I'd say it'd be a CZ, because it's as cheap as you can get while still making a gun that will function most of the time. I don't think you could label the P229 or P2000 the G19 of DA/SA guns, because they're representative of something entirely different than what a Glock is.
    How are glocks bottom-rung?
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 08-01-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    How are glocks bottom-rung?
    It's the entire point the pistol has become so successful. It's a pistol that is made as cheaply as possible to hopefully fire most of the time.

So cheaply, they have a pretty strong history over the last couple decades of using the market to wring out their design/manufacturing flaws.

If anything, I think the Glock 19 of the DA/SA world is a Makarov, P64, CZ82/83. They're made as cheaply as possible to maintain a modicum of reliability.

ETA: Essentially, to me and what I think of the Glock, we're asking what is the Ford Model - T of hammer guns?
    Last edited by TGS; 08-01-2015 at 05:12 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

okay then..

I don't think many would argue that the Glock 19 is the most common/popular/successful/pick-your-own word, carry gun based on its size, performance and plenty more attributes. It is big enough to run with larger guns, while still small enough for most to conceal it.

An attribute of the Glock is it a striker design. That is a plus for some people and a minus for others.

My question is what is, or what should be the DA/SA equivalent to the Glock 19?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I am trying a P07 for carry and a P09 for IDPA and other competition. I think the P07 can fill that DA/SA "Glock 19 like" niche. Only negative I have found to the P07 is the more expensive magazines. I think a M&P 9mm mag can be modified to fit a P07 but I have not pursued that alternative.

User Tag List