Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 123: Two Inch Dot Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Good shooting, makes me feel like I've got a long way to go when I was struggling at 5 yd. Worried I would have trouble seeing the targets at 10 or 15 yd, let alone hit them. What do you do if you can't see the outline of the target at further distances (either due to faint outline, or your sight covers the entire target)?
    I use the PF target, the two inch dots are fairly light colored, and it is a problem. I mostly just try to visualize where the dot should be, based on the relative position of the others. I place the edge of my front sight at the base of the target. If I had a drive the dot zero, and it covered the dot, it would very hard.

While it might seem to be a sight alignment exercise, I think it mostly is a trigger control exercise.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I use the PF target, the two inch dots are fairly light colored, and it is a problem. I mostly just try to visualize where the dot should be, based on the relative position of the others. I place the edge of my front sight at the base of the target. If I had a drive the dot zero, and it covered the dot, it would very hard.

While it might seem to be a sight alignment exercise, I think it mostly is a trigger control exercise.
    Thanks, that's what I basically ended up doing. I definitely agree that once you've got sight alignment figured out, it's a trigger control exercise and I definitely learned that I've got lots to work on for my trigger control. Definitely no illusions for what was causing my shots to still hit low once I figured out that I was running a dot zero.

P30 HD Trijicon
    JRC AIWB under a t-shirt

5yds 15/20
    7 yds 15/20

I sucked hard boiled eggs.

I shot this drill too fast for a cold drill. I should've shot this drill slower and as an 'accuracy' drill. Instead I drew to the first shot with one sight picture and then just followed the front sight hoping my first sight picture was good enough. I should have shot strings of 1 or 2 with rests in between. Anyone else treat it the way I did?

Adding insult to injury, we used a target that ended up being 1.75" instead of 2". Not that it mattered on my shitty performance (4 shots were too far out to make a difference). Long story short: my dad and I have printed every PF/PT target at a smaller ratio--woops! (FYI: he shot 19/20 at 5 yds and 11/20 at 7 yds with a PPQ in a CompTac strong side open).
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Just reading through this thread again and I see two problems:

1) I can't stand that I can't use tapatalk anymore. I went from memory on this drill.
    2) I have to start writing down the drill of the week b/c tapatalk sucks.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

G17 Gen 4
    benched

10 yards

15/20, 16/20, 16/20

15 yards

11/20

Dots turned out at 1.75" for me on the PF target also.

This was a frustrating drill for me, alternating between a push and a flinch. My consistency has been poor recently and I've lost some of the desire to shoot. This gave me something to work on that fits into my usual range's rules.

Shot this today with a couple buddies. First time I shit it I dropped four. Second time I didn't drop any. Only shot 17 rounds at the target not 20. I know the rules say 20 but I had a full mag and the ammo was far away.

This drill was pretty tough mentally. Never say there and fired a while mag trying to be as accurate as possible. My shoulders, hands, and brain hurt after doing this.

Also noticed my dots are 1 3/4 and not 2"

5yards
    M&P9 HD's (Orange front)
    Open holster, never broke master grip, but did come back in a couple times on the second one.

Hi all. While I have poached a bunch of these drills, this is the first time I've thrown my hat in the ring in a timely fashion on one. Drill was shot using a Sig P232, benched, as my range is a continually moving target with regard to drawing on the line (as in: I never know what they are going to say. It was "no draw" yesterday...). Ammo was Freedom Munitions' 90gr XTP JHP. Since I was picking up off the bench with each shot, I shot them all DA, given that decocking before setting the little Sig down after each shot was obviously the better part of wisdom. So I got lots of DA/first shot practice in; no different than from the holster aside from the obvious.

First string was an estimated 5 yards; 18/21, upper right circle (oh yeah, the mags hold 7 rounds, so I just did 3 mags for each drill). Second string was 7 yards; a lot looser at 15/21 *I think*... I shot at the opposite corners of the target in hopes of keeping things clean, but for all I know, I could have flyer'd one or two off the page completely. Close enough for nonprofit work, though. I found 7 yards to be fatiguing.

Name:  5-yd copy.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  5-yd two inch copy.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  7-yd copy.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  7-yd two inch copy.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  23.1 KB

Gen 3 G-17, Blade Tech, 147 Bayou hand loads, open carry.
    Holstered.
    5 yards.
    18/20

Lost concentration on 2 shots. A guy was raking the hay in the hay field just above my range. He would be driving by as I shot. At one point I was wondering if he thought I looked cool shooting. Yep, yanked a shot. Then a couple of shots later, I was thinking about what I had been thinking. Yanked another. Don't let distractions distract you.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My G17 has the largest Ameriglo FiberOptic front (.130, it's like the planet mars on a good night--a big, red fireball...); at 25 yards the thing will damn near cover up a B-27, at least with my wobble zone. I try to put the majority of the target behind the fireball. [/shrug]

Incredibly enough, for once I shot a DotW in time to report the results!

I shot this cold, ie. the first shots of the day. Distance was 5 meters. I used a Walther P99, Trijicon HD sights, JMCK IWB holster. Start position was normal standing with the gun concealed. I went full speed on the draw but tried to stroke the trigger carefully.

(Ignore dot 6, I kept going after the 20 shots until my second magazine was depleted.)

I count five out, with one that might just barely be touching the target. Call it 15/20. Not too impressive, but there it is.

Observations: Shooting small targets with these sights is a bit tricky, since the front sight obscures the target. Also, I have a tendency to pull DA shots to the left.

User Tag List