Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 123: Two Inch Dot Challenge

Gen4 Glock 19 with Ameriglo Defoor tritium sights (top half of the front sight painted orange)
    5 yards
    Holstered start (Raven Concealment Eidolon)
    Total Hits: 16/20

I tried to do it the way Mr_White explained a few posts earlier, where if my draw wasn't perfect, I continued anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Gen4 Glock 19 with Ameriglo Defoor tritium sights (top half of the front sight painted orange)
    5 yards
    Holstered start (Raven Concealment Eidolon)
    Total Hits: 16/20

I tried to do it the way Mr_White explained a few posts earlier, where if my draw wasn't perfect, I continued anyway.
    good shooting!

Local Indoor Range
    Glock 22/G4
    Pick Up From Bench (drawing prohibited)
    I used an original P-T target and shot on the six circles on the bottom.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  42.3 KB
    First Attempt: 5 yards, 13/20 (Circle 1)
    Second Attempt: 5 yards, 19/20 (Circle 4)
    Third Attempt: 7 yards, 16/20 (Circle 2)

I don't like picking the gun up off the bench but rules are rules since the range forbids drawing. The bench is roughly the height of my appendix holster so the arm movements from bench to eye level were similar. My first attempt blew, I was going way too fast. I remembered Mr. White's comment to use the time you need but don't waste time and the second attempt was better, 19/20. I moved on out to 7 yards out of curiosity. That's going to be my starting line next attempt.
    I've been struggling with the Glock branded night sights on my duty gun vs. the Ameriglo iDot Pros on my carry gun. This drill helped me iron that issue out a little.

(Note: sorry the pic us sideways. My Tapatalk is down and my iphone skills are weak.)
    Last edited by MD7305; 08-05-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Equipment used - CZ 75 SP-01
    Start position - from bench, moved into retention position, then pressed out
    3yd - 17/20
    5yd - 7/13

Learned two things
    #1 at further distances when I get lazy with left hand grip, it shows with less accuracy
    #2 I need to work on my aim since using dot as POA = POI, but I've been using a 'pumpkin on post' aim for a while now. That plus slight flinching meant I threw a lot of my shots really really low. At distance of 3yd and in that didn't matter, but very noticeably at 5yd.

I deviated a little from the original plan, running this as a dry fire exercise. With a SIRT. At a doorknob... around a corner... through a mirror. Don't judge me.

start position: With gun in hand replicating start of an appendix draw.
    distance: Probably ~7 yards.
    19/20 at a deliberate but not glacial pace.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I deviated a little from the original plan, running this as a dry fire exercise. With a SIRT. At a doorknob... around a corner... through a mirror. Don't judge me.

start position: With gun in hand replicating start of an appendix draw.
    distance: Probably ~7 yards.
    19/20 at a deliberate but not glacial pace.
    That's a great idea, I may have to run it again with a laser this weekend I sucked so much at 5 yard. 2 inches is way smaller than the 3x5 index cards I've been using, so I'll see if I improve at all with a slower pace and improved POA. Definitely points out I've been a little sloppy with the aiming in dryfire.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    First up, wheel guns. I haven't blown the dust of my LCR for awhile, and its my BUG so that's stupid on my part.

All shots were on the upper dot. Not all impacts were on the upper dot.

All revolvers shot from 7 yards:

LCR, drawn from a pocket holster, S&B .38 special 158 LRN factory ammunition. 15/20

First 10 were in the dot, the first two thrown shot I shoved it low on #12. The cammed trigger of the LCR really makes it easy to shoot.

GP100 3" Wiley Clapp, drawn from Galco Summer Comfort IWB, my reloaded .357 158 gr LSWC, 13/20

I was a little disappointed with this one. I thought I'd do better than I did. I started off low and improved as I went.

GP100 4" Match Champion, drawn from Don Hume OWB, my reloaded .357 158 gr LSWC, 11/20

That sucked. I was trying to stage the trigger and was throwing myself off. Once I realized that I went to a steady trigger pull and started hitting where I wanted to. I also played with my grip a bit, realized I was trying to shoot thumbs forward instead of thumb print to thumb nail. I was probably doing the same thing with the Wiley Clapp without realizing it in time.

Lessons: Stop staging the effing trigger on the bigger revolvers. I shot better with the snubby simply because I was pulling straight through.

Sigs

My P226 slide is still at Sig to repair the rear sight sliding left under recoil, so I stuck with my P229. My wife went with me, so I also shot the P229 9mm SAS once for funsies.

P229 .40, drawn from Blade-Tech IDPA holster, Speer lawman 180gr:

5 yards: 19/20 I don't know which one I shoved, but I pushed one way low.

7 yards: 17/22 (I know, I accidentally loaded one magazine to capacity and didn't realize it until I'd already emptied the mag and reloaded.)
    First 8 were in the circle. The two that were farthest low left were at the end of the first magazine. The three that are juuuust outside were in the second mag.

P229 9mm, drawn from Blade-Tech IDPA holster, Magtech 115 gr:

5 yds: I originally counted 17/20 but upon further review one did not break the plane, only the rip in the paper did, so 16/20.
    I knew 124 gr shot a bit high. 115 gr also shoots a bit high (no surprise) so I started using the top edge of the front sight instead of the dot. I was still hitting high. The two that are just outside the top were in the first 5, and all five were clustered right at the top of the circle. After 5 shots I changed my point of aim to the bottom of the circle and continued to use the top edge. That dropped the point of impact into the middle of the circle, but I did push two more out. I still need to try 147 gr in this gun, I think that will shoot POA.

Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 08-07-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Completed this course with a 3rd generation Glock 34 with Trijicon HD yellow front sight, Warren Tactical rear and a Skimmer trigger kit. Also shot it with a 4th generation Glock 23 that has been converted to 9mm with a Lone Wolf Distributor’s conversion barrel and Glock 19 internals with Trijicon HD orange sights. All shooting was done at 5 yards. I was using primarily Magtech 115 grain 9mm rounds except as noted. Had to do these drills at an indoor range so picked the pistol up from the table in front of me or from a compressed ready.

Results:

Glock 34 - first run 12/20, misses were low left; second run with American Eagle 147 – 16/20, three misses were high.

Glock 23 – first run 19/20 the miss was just a little left, just barely touching outside of line; second run – 13/20, (got a little cocky and rushed the shots too much) five misses were high or high right two were low right (I am right handed).

Really thought this would be easier than it was, especially with the 34. Did not expect much with the Magtech, but thought it would not make much difference at 5 yards and indeed the groups were similar to the American Eagle. The converted Glock 23 has proven to be one of my better performing pistols. With both pistols I have a harder time finding and focusing on the top edge of the front sight the longer the shooting session goes. I find myself using the huge dot and that causes me to throw shots a little high. I hope getting my glasses straightened out will help with that.

Had two new blasters arrive, so thought this would be a good exercise to check them out.

DA/SA P30L HD sights, USP retention holster (thanks Ben!)

10 yards, DA only, 20/20

15 yards, 16/20

CZ SP01 Shadow (like HCM is looking at, but built by Matt Mink)

15 yards 17/20, I got a little punchy at the end, was 10/10 for the first ten shots
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Had two new blasters arrive, so thought this would be a good exercise to check them out.

DA/SA P30L HD sights, USP retention holster (thanks Ben!)

10 yards, DA only, 20/20

15 yards, 16/20

CZ SP01 Shadow (like HCM is looking at, but built by Matt Mink)

15 yards 17/20, I got a little punchy at the end, was 10/10 for the first ten shots
    Good shooting, makes me feel like I've got a long way to go when I was struggling at 5 yd. Worried I would have trouble seeing the targets at 10 or 15 yd, let alone hit them. What do you do if you can't see the outline of the target at further distances (either due to faint outline, or your sight covers the entire target)?

User Tag List