Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 123: Two Inch Dot Challenge

Week 123: Two Inch Dot Challenge

Week 123: Two Inch Dot Challenge

Results may be posted until August 31h, 2015

Designed by: Gabe White
    Range: shooter's choice of 3, 5, 7, 10, or 15 yards
    Target: 2" dot, download printable target here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...in-circles.pdf
    Start Position: holstered or benched
    Rounds Fired: 20

This is going to be an untimed drill focusing on acquiring master grip and the patience to shoot on-demand hits on a challenging target.

Pick a distance that will make the shot challenging for you, rather than really easy or nearly impossible.

You can start with the loaded gun either holstered, holstered and concealed, or benched, with hands at sides.

Procedure is simply to draw, or retrieve the handgun from the bench, then shoot one shot to the 2" dot. Repeat until you have fired twenty rounds. You can certainly use multiple dots to keep scoring clear.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
    Start position
    Distance
    Total hits out of the possible twenty

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Cz p09, JMCK AIWB under a t-shirt
    Holstered
    7yds
    16/20

HK VP9 @ 3 yards, 11 out of 20.

I started with the pistol laying on the table, no draws on the public line at our range.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  52.1 KB

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used) G19 w/RMR Fricke Seraphim, t shirt
    Start position Holster
    Distance 5 yards, then 10 yards
    Total hits out of the possible twenty 17 out of 20, 15 out of 20

I thought this would be really easy. In reality I lost patience/concentration about 12 or so rounds in.

Name:  IMG_20150802_103427821.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  31.9 KB
    Last edited by MVS; 08-02-2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: duplicate picture removal

G19 in a Jm Custom Appendix
    started in holster
    distance was 5 yards
    17 out of twenty. All three dropped were my last three rounds, I tried to really speed up and it showed.

I shot mine at 7 yards and then tried it at 10. At ten yards the monovision contact in my dominant eye that keeps my front sight sharp caused the line of the circle to ghost out almost completely so that was aborted. That did cause me to experiment with shooting as Sean M described in a recent thread with hard target focus and let the front sight index where you're focusing. That worked pretty well although better for a 4" dot than a 2".

I'll return later after I unpack the targets to post the scores. I shot it with a 17 and a 19. IIRC they ranged 14-15 with front sight focus. Hard target focus only at 7 yards I think was 13.

A question I had about this drill; not a timed event but it was about delivering a shot "on demand". I took that to mean NOT slow fire so I would draw and shoot promptly ie as soon as I thought I had enough sight alignment and fairly promptly through the trigger press. It was tough fighting the urge to put the timer on it but I resisted.

Was there any tempo intended at all? Qualitatively if not quantitatively?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    A question I had about this drill; not a timed event but it was about delivering a shot "on demand". I took that to mean NOT slow fire so I would draw and shoot promptly ie as soon as I thought I had enough sight alignment and fairly promptly through the trigger press. It was tough fighting the urge to put the timer on it but I resisted.

Was there any tempo intended at all? Qualitatively if not quantitatively?
    Sounds to me like you did it the way I intended.

It's a little nebulous and subjective, but yes, qualitatively is what I meant. I did mean for it to not be 'slow fire' like shooting a 300 or something. Not, retrieve the gun with a laziness, or fool around with the grip after mounting the gun because it was the very tiniest bit imperfect. I meant for one to proceed through retrieving and mounting the gun, then be as careful as they felt needed for the target at hand. Take all the time needed, but waste none. Basically as if there were a time limit, but an unknowable one, so that the only useful thing to do is take just the time needed but no more (time being a byproduct of being careful enough, which is the true essence.) Kind of like GSSF, where there is time pressure but it is not specific. So what do you do? Try to hit the target with every shot and waste no time doing so. Make your best attempt on shots that are very doable, but as a practical reality, aren't all going to be done perfectly. Because shooting well under pressure is hard.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Sounds to me like you did it the way I intended.

It's a little nebulous and subjective, but yes, qualitatively is what I meant. I did mean for it to not be 'slow fire' like shooting a 300 or something. Not, retrieve the gun with a laziness, or fool around with the grip after mounting the gun because it was the very tiniest bit imperfect. I meant for one to proceed through retrieving and mounting the gun, then be as careful as they felt needed for the target at hand. Take all the time needed, but waste none. Basically as if there were a time limit, but an unknowable one, so that the only useful thing to do is take just the time needed but no more (time being a byproduct of being careful enough, which is the true essence.) Kind of like GSSF, where there is time pressure but it is not specific. So what do you do? Try to hit the target with every shot and waste no time doing so. Make your best attempt on shots that are very doable, but as a practical reality, aren't all going to be done perfectly. Because shooting well under pressure is hard.
    OK then I got it pretty close to exactly that. I'm glad it was so designed. It perfectly suited my current cycle which is to focus on the performance and not the outcome. I was hard focused on the deep high grip and my newish "high/out" elbows for recoil control. I'm doing it again. Grip was so high and deep my Large adapted Gen 4 G17 slide bit hell out of me. Hurt sooo good.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Ha, perfect drill for an HK, no timer.

P2000 DA/SA JM AIWB

7 yards 20/20

10 yards (fired DA only) 17/20

12 yards 15/20

15 yards 11/20
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Equipment: 3rd Gen Glock 19
    Start position: benched
    Distance: 5 Yards
    Total hits: 16/20

User Tag List