Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Revolver 101 For A Semi Auto Guy

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Although I have nothing against it, Im not into the gaming end. I want to learn the gun for defensive purposes. The best thing now is to load up a bunch of 158gr .38 specials and work on cadnece and accuracy. ....and those reloads!

FWIW, my splits with a revolver are the same as my auto splits, assuming recoil levels are about the same. .17-20 in 38/9mm. In fact, though most splits are in the same range, my fastest splits ever were with a M64. Easy guns to shoot fast.

I pull the trigger with the pad of my finger not the first joint. Much better accuracy, I find. I can use my joint on most revolvers, but on DA pistols, I can't, and the pad works just fine for me there as well, even with their much worse trigger pull.

I use the pad of my finger to work the trigger on a DA revolver. I get much better accuracy that way. I do have long fingers with a largish hand. For reloading I use the weak-hand method which puts my speedloaders right where my spare mags would be for an auto.

Just an update...

Picked up some Ahrends Tacticals. The fit is much better than the Eagles or even the rubber Hogues. Still feel a bit of tweaking is needed, especially on the toe (front bottom). Just a bit too much flare at that point it feels. Im not quite to the point where Im going to take a belt sander to a new pair of $100 grips though...might shoot it some first.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    My favorite setup for a S&W K- or N-frame is the standard service stocks with a Pachmayr Grip Adapter. The grip adapter has probably been out of production for 30 years or more, but a Tyler T-Grip (http://www.t-grips.com/) is a very close second.
    There have been some issues with getting the Tyler T-Grip. The BK Grip Adapter seems to be very good. I have them on a couple of my .38s.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    There have been some issues with getting the Tyler T-Grip.
    Which, apparently, stemmed from siblings fighting over the company after the old man passed. For a while there, you couldn't get one, period. Then one of his sons got control, they were available again, but not of the same quality. I bought one for a J frame during this period, and while it did what it was supposed to, the fit/finish were nowhere near to that of the originals.

That was several years ago. In late June of this year, I found myself in need of one for a K frame round butt. The S&W Forum is usually the best place for current information on things like this, but there was nothing recent in the threads there. The website has been updated, but you still must order the old-fashioned way, via sending a check or money order. So I rolled the dice and sent them a check, ordering two of the #3R, and promptly forgot about it.

Two weeks ago, they showed up in my mail box. And the quality is back up a few notches. Still not what it was when the old man was making them, but eminently usable.

If one can stand putting "Goodyears" on ones revolver the Hogue Bantam grip is what I'm using on my RB S&W K frame. Open backstrap with rubber filler in front + a little extension on the bottom for your pinky.

Delayed update. Put about 300rds thru it last week. A combo of PMC 158gr JSPs, some reloads using 2400 and H110, and a box of .38spl 158RN. World of difference using the Ahrends. While the rubber Hogues certainly allow a "firmer" grip, the Ahrends fit my hand better and seem to allow the gun to "roll" thru the recoil. (If that statement makes sense.) i wasnt timing anything, but was able to get a pretty good cadence going even with the fairly stout 2400 loads. I like it!!

how to use print screen

Beautiful stocks… can you say Jordan redux???

The Ahrends offerings are worth every bit of the wait time and money.

Thanks. They are purdy. Got them off ebay new, quick and resonable. Dont know if its proper here to list so I will refrain.

User Tag List