Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver 101 For A Semi Auto Guy

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Revolver 101 For A Semi Auto Guy

Although a Dan Wesson 15-2 was the first handgun I ever purchased new (1984) most all my serious shooting has been with an autoloader. I picked up a nice 28-2 and along with the DW, would like to learn the way of the wheelgun. They still feel a bit awkward and top heavy to me. Any links to drills or other helpful hints (besides tons of dryfire) to help me get up to speed? The two grip methods to me seem polar opposite in form.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    The two grip methods to me seem polar opposite in form.

Thanks
    If you mean thumbs locked down (revolver), vs thumbs forward (semi-auto); yes, they are. I began seriously shooting a handgun with revolvers; thumbs locked down was totally natural-feeling. When we transitioned to semi-autos some ten years later, we continued to use that grip, and it worked fine.

Somewhere along the way, mid-90s or so, the thumbs forward grip was "discovered" in LE circles, and it is indeed generally superior. So I switched. Now, 20 years after that, with a renewed interest in revolvers, I find that:

1) Thumbs locked down feels very UN-natural
    2) Thumbs forward doesn't work so hot- for me- on revolvers

This, of course, is one of those YMMV (your mileage may vary) things. What is not is the fact that your two revolvers require completely different techniques for opening the cylinder, due to the location of the cylinder latches.

So my question to you is... what do want out of these two fine wheelguns? If the answer is to be "tactically" proficient, then you need to pick one and train to it. The M-28 will likely have a better DA trigger, and is definitely less complicated to reload... for what that's worth. Although, I have seen a fellow (cannot remember his name) demonstrate a REALY nifty technique with a DW; basically, as soon as the last round goes, he took his right hand completely off the pistol and went for a speedloader, while his left hand activated the cylinder latch, he then shifted his hold on the gun slightly and opened the cylinder and ejected the brass with one smooth, QUICK motion. Be advised, the dexterity required for that is huge. One could do the same with an N frame, but the number of movements/hand position shifts involved would make it a foolish parlor trick, IMO.

If you want a range toy/something different to break up your semi-auto training regimen, then either/both will do. The Dan Wessons are particularly accurate critters, due to the barrels being stressed at both ends.

Anyway... decide what you want to accomplish, and go from there.

Thanks for the reply. Ive enjoyed reading your posts over my lurking time here...

No, the DW will always be kept as the first handgun purchased. Ive managed to acquire a few barrels for it over the years, but its happy in the back of the safe. The 28-2 was a recent purchase when I decided I had got bored with autos and wanted to go old school. Issued handgun is an autoloader and most all of my shooting since the mid 90's has been with an auto as well.

My goal, indeed is to get "tactically proficient" with that 28-2. I would like to shoot it as well as my HK and have it feel as natural in my hand. Sounds silly, but dont know where to start with it. Perhaps a revolver-dedicated class is offered somewhere....

entropy -

Though I shoot semi-autos with both thumbs forward, I lock both thumbs down on a revolver. As Massad Ayoob has said numerous times in print, it's thumbprint on thumbnail. Left over right, if you're right handed. The placement of the trigger finger is key. Again, I followed Ayoob's example, and learned to connect with the trigger at the distal joint of my trigger finger. Ayoob has written about DA revolver shooting a lot and is a great resource.

A high grip is necessary just as it is with a semi-auto. If your revolver's stocks don't allow a high grip, an aftermarket solution may be in order to mitigate the top-heavy feel you're describing.

As much as grip matters, trigger control trumps all if you want to attain good DA shooting skills. When that was my goal, I found a copy of Ed McGivern's Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting, first published in 1938. He does a really good job of detailing the proper trigger stroke. In assorted video clips, Jerry Miculek reinforces some of what McGivern talked about. I would seek out those two names if you want to build a solid foundation. The synopsis is simple: the trigger is always moving during a string of fire and the cadence at which it moves is critical.

Best of luck on your journey.

Sounds silly, but dont know where to start with it. Perhaps a revolver-dedicated class is offered somewhere....

Nothing silly about that; its something new and different to you.

If you can arrange it, Tom Givens offers revolver classes from time to time. I'm sure there are other trainers who offer good instruction, but Tom cut his teeth on wheel guns as a yearling (like most of us old, retired LE types), and he knows them from using them... as opposed to learning it from someone else. The fact that he is probably the best overall instructor I've ever seen- and I've trained under/worked alongside a metric shit-load of different instructors- doesn't hurt either.

Another upcoming venue is the revolver round-up or whatever being hosted by Darryl Bolke and Wayne Dobbs in the Dallas area this October. I was SO going to that... until they had to re-schedule it the week-end before my youngest daughter is getting married. Both of those characters are old revolver cops with instructional backgrounds, and could show you everything you ever wanted to know about revolvers but were afraid to ask...

Lacking that, I suspect there are a few "good" instructional videos out there, although I confess I have no idea where to point you on that.

There is nothing complex or difficult about "running" a revolver. However, the manual of arms/reloading/etc. is sufficiently different that very few of your skills gleaned from shooting semi-autos will transfer. And of course, there are plenty of little tricks to know that somebody not deeply invested/experienced in the action type would likely be unaware of.

While I hesitate to "present" a detailed training synopsis over a keyboard, I will certainly be glad to answer any questions you may have; here, or via PM, whatever works best for you.

Site Supporter
    What works for me is thumbs forward for auto-loaders, thumbs locked down for revolvers. At this point my hands just do each technique naturally depending on the type of gun I'm shooting.

Another difference is that with the revolver there is no slide action to absorb any of the recoil so it is all directed pretty much right back into your shooting hand. It's not a major problem, just a notable difference.

Thanks for the reply. Ive enjoyed reading your posts over my lurking time here...

No, the DW will always be kept as the first handgun purchased. Ive managed to acquire a few barrels for it over the years, but its happy in the back of the safe. The 28-2 was a recent purchase when I decided I had got bored with autos and wanted to go old school. Issued handgun is an autoloader and most all of my shooting since the mid 90's has been with an auto as well.

My goal, indeed is to get "tactically proficient" with that 28-2. I would like to shoot it as well as my HK and have it feel as natural in my hand. Sounds silly, but dont know where to start with it. Perhaps a revolver-dedicated class is offered somewhere....
    HiTS HARDWIREDTACTICAL IS HAVING A REVOLVER ROUND UP IN OCT IN DALLAS,TX....GOOD STUFF
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Whats the cost/round count on this? Website just links to registration page. Thanks

Whats the cost/round count on this? Website just links to registration page. Thanks
    Not sure on round count but I think 400-600. Cost is $400. Trained with DB and Wayne 4 times so far and it is first class training everytime......cya Mike
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Appreciate the replies so far. Email in to Hardwiredtactical.

Grips. S&W factory targets too blocky and large. Picked up some Eagle Heritage. They still feel awkward. I have a set of Pachmyer Decellerators for the DW from way back. They feel a bit more normal. Ive read the grip is EVERYTHING. Much more than a semi auto. Is this a truism? Hate to just start tossing money without direction, when perhaps hard work and practice is more suited. Any insight welcome.

User Tag List